Options

"Edge Of Tomorrow" and "Jupiter Ascending"

Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
These two films look pretty good!

EDGE OF TOMORROW

Trailer LINK

(it's not a great title. Sounds like a title of a TV soap opera ;-) )

PLOT:
The epic action of Edge of Tomorrow unfolds in a near future in which an alien race has hit the Earth in an unrelenting assault, unbeatable by any military unit in the world. Major William Cage (Cruise) is an officer who has never seen a day of combat when he is unceremoniously dropped into what amounts to a suicide mission. Killed within minutes, Cage now finds himself inexplicably thrown into a time loopforcing him to live out the same brutal combat over and over, fighting and dying again...and again. But with each battle, Cage becomes able to engage the adversaries with increasing skill, alongside Special Forces warrior Rita Vrataski (Blunt). And, as Cage and Rita take the fight to the aliens, each repeated encounter gets them one step closer to defeating the enemy.

JUPITER ASCENDING

Trailer LINK

PLOT:
Jupiter Jones (Mila Kunis) was born under a night sky, with signs predicting that she was destined for great things. Now grown, Jupiter dreams of the stars but wakes up to the cold reality of a job cleaning other people’s houses and an endless run of bad breaks. Only when Caine (Channing Tatum), a genetically engineered ex-military hunter, arrives on Earth to track her down does Jupiter begin to glimpse the fate that has been waiting for her all along—her genetic signature marks her as next in line for an extraordinary inheritance that could alter the balance of the cosmos.

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edge of Tomorrow has had four working titles. The original title was All You Need is Kill, based on Hiroshi Sakurazaka's SF novel. This is how it went:

All You Need is Kill --> We Mortals Are --> Tomorrow's Edge --> To the Edge of Tomorrow ---> Edge of Tomorrow.

So a few title changes and a lot of script revisions? Not a good sign.

I think it might be a mess. I hope not, though. I also am somewhat sorry that they changed the main/Cruise's character quite a bit for the adaptation. I suppose it has to be done to make Cruise's appearance work, considering his age? Edit: Forgot to comment on the trailer - I like the look of it.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,333
    Forum Member
    Edge of Tomorrow - Hmm, dunno. In some ways reminiscent of the Battle: LA trailer, even down to the choice of music, and look how that panned out.

Btw - this and a Jack Reacher sequel? I wistfully remember when Tommy Boy tried his hand at more upmarket productions. Made a fair fist of it too. Alas, days of yore...

Jupiter Ascending - Pure meh.

Speaking of trailers, wonder if we'll get a Dawn of the Planet of the Apes one sometime soon. One franchise/sequel type thing that does have me intrigued.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Edge of Tomorrow. Groundhog Day with guns then.

I watched both of these trailers last night. The visuals looked impressive in both, but I was totally unmoved by either. Something missing for me, not sure what, exactly. I wasn't impressed with Mila Kunis acting in the Jupiter Ascending trailer. When it finished I even said 'Shut up Meg', to myself. She lacks gravitas for a film like this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edge of Tomorrow - isn't the plot very similar to Source Code?
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the concept of Edge of Tomorrow but it looks like understated Drama.

I was suprised and impressed by Jupiter Ascending. It had sci-fi galore, great setting(Not sure if it was cyberpunk or far-future?) and appears to have an evolving plot. A budget well spent too.
  • Options
    HildaonplutoHildaonpluto Posts: 37,697
    Forum Member
    The fact that Jupiter ascending is being made by the same directors who made the brilliant Matrix trilogy and stars the rather beautiful Channing Tatum has got me rather excited for its imminent release .

Is it also going to be a trilogy?
  • Options
    007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that Jupiter ascending is being made by the same directors who made the brilliant Matrix trilogy and stars the rather beautiful Channing Tatum has got me rather excited for its imminent release .

Is it also going to be a trilogy?

It's expected to flop. A trilogy (even a second movie) is highly unlikely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    007Fusion wrote: »
    It's expected to flop. A trilogy (even a second movie) is highly unlikely.

Oh I do hope that it defies expectations then-I feel it looks quite promising but the proof of the pudding will be in the eating.
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jupiter Ascending had a screening at Sundance yesterday apparently to a very "mixed" reception, but no reviews yet. Even if it is panned by the critics, though, the general public could still get behind it.
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We saw a trailer for Jupiter Ascending before a film last year in the cinema, it got a few laughs, for the wrong reasons, from some of the crowd and my general feeling afterwards was "this looks dire".

Also, now that Edge of Tomorrow has been released on home media, it has kind of been renamed again to "Live Die Repeat" on the cover, with Edge of Tomorrow a tiny line at the very bottom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jupiter Ascending had a screening at Sundance yesterday apparently to a very "mixed" reception, but no reviews yet. Even if it is panned by the critics, though, the general public could still get behind it.

Everything Ive heard read and seen about this film has intrigued me and whet my appetite.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Also, now that Edge of Tomorrow has been released on home media, it has kind of been renamed again to "Live Die Repeat" on the cover, with Edge of Tomorrow a tiny line at the very bottom.

I found out a couple of months ago that one of EoT's working titles was Restart.

I couldn't understand why they didn't go with that until I learnt it was the title of Tom Cruise and Jason Hoffs's future project. I still think Restart is better than all titles they tried, though.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 23,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I found out a couple of months ago that one of EoT's working titles was Restart.

I couldn't understand why they didn't go with that until I learnt it was the title of Tom Cruise and Jason Hoffs's future project. I still think Restart is better than all titles they tried, though.

Edge of Tomorrow was so generic a title it probably took several million off the box office. They should probably have stuck to the novel's title all you need is kill, even if it is bad grammar.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everything Ive heard read and seen about this film has intrigued me and whet my appetite.

Likewise, I'm really keen to see this.