Options

Sherlock - BBC Drama (Part 3)

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Yvie123 wrote: »
    I think they needed Mary to be there, so they could make the big reveal about her, and so there she was, is the truth of it!
    It does make a mockery of the supposedly brilliant Sherlock, though - he used a long winded, elaborate plan to gain access, going through the fake relationship with Janine etc., when all he had to do was put on dark clothes and a woolly hat and magic himself in there:D
    Oh you cynic :p
  • Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    sw2963 wrote: »
    What's the app like anyone? Unfortunately I am an Android user!!!

The app is good but some of the deductions you are expected to get are preposterous. Lots of random clicking until you get the right combination.
    Nice to have Benedict talking directly to you.
    Not so nice having him tell you that you smell (you being one of the homeless network).
  • Options
    Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    The app is good but some of the deductions you are expected to get are preposterous. Lots of random clicking until you get the right combination.
    Nice to have Benedict talking directly to you.
    Not so nice having him tell you that you smell (you being one of the homeless network).

Thanks fefster - lucky you!!
  • Options
    lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had to share this

http://youtu.be/-7jS7X-2ggA
  • Options
    StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lucy777 wrote: »
    Just had to share this

Ah, that's so cute.:)

Forget Sherlock and all those films Benedict Cumberbatch has been in - he's made it to the big time now!:D
  • Options
    marsch_labbmarsch_labb Posts: 687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lucy777 wrote: »
    Just had to share this

Just because i miss the over-analysing good time we had, here's a thought.

I put it in spoiler if people want to look at the clip before.
    The fact is we don't know that there are more apples. If the question had been 'how many units of each fruit are there more of?, then yes.
    But with a general question like 'are there more apples or oranges?, we would have to measure the fruits and have their exact weight because the oranges are bigger than the apples.
    Quick visual conclusion is, there seems to have more oranges on the table ! :)

:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just because i miss the over-analysing good time we had, here's a thought.

I put it in spoiler if people want to look at the clip before.
    The fact is we don't know that there are more apples. If the question had been 'how many units of each fruit are there more of?, then yes.
    But with a general question like 'are there more apples or oranges?, we would have to measure the fruits and have their exact weight because the oranges are bigger than the apples.
    Quick visual conclusion is, there seems to have more oranges on the table ! :)

:):)

I would say that
    "There are more apples" is correct because they are referring to quantity. If you were talking about, for example, weight or volume you would probably say "There is more apple or orange" (Singular, not plural):)
  • Options
    DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that
    "There are more apples" is correct because they are referring to quantity. If you were talking about, for example, weight or volume you would probably say "There is more apple or orange" (Singular, not plural):)
    Well I'm still stumped even after The Count's explanation. The Sesame Street writer is making it FAR too complicated for us normal fans to follow, that clip is totally self indulgent and relies far too much on the viewer to balance the explanation given and what we see on the table.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would say that

I could say 'it was a language misunderstanding since english is not my first tongue' which is true.
    But i was not really serious (i did say over-analysing). I understood the question and was just putting myself in the same zone we were when we commented on Sherlock. I miss it so much.

Altough i do find that words are important in a question. For exemple:
    if you ask 'do you believe in aliens? most people would answer according to their belief on the subject. But the true scientific answer is yes considering there are billions of solar systems.
    But if you ask 'do you believe aliens have visited Earth in the past? , then the answer should be more vague. And yet, most people would think 'do you beleive in aliens?' means 'do you believe aliens have visited Earth in the past?. I've seen astrophysicists answer no to the first question without thinking of the real meaning.

Anyway, it was just a bit of fun and you answered. Did you have flashbacks of season 3? :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyway, it was just a bit of fun and you answered. Did you have flashbacks of season 3? :)

All the Sherlock discussion was fun, and I miss it too. I think it may be a long wait for season 4 unfortunately.

Definitely season 3 flashbacks - the similarity between Murray-arty and the original is uncanny!:D
  • Options
    TbellTbell Posts: 76
    Forum Member
    The above posts made me laugh:D
    But what if
    one of the oranges was disguised as an apple?

Nice to see BC on screen again though - Sherlock seemed to come and go so quickly this time!
  • Options
    fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope those apples and the oranges weren't being played by the writer's family members.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly. Once, you can get away with but with Moffat it's a recurring theme.

People say 'Oh I don't watch Doctor Who so I don't care, blah blah'. But if you do watch Doctor Who, as is my unfortunate habit, then to see the same irritating crap being foisted upon what was once a watchable show is really disappointing.

GRR Martin does the same thing in the Game of Thrones books. He argues that since he killed a major characted in the first book, his readers a always in suspense whenever a chapter ends with a character's life under threat. Honest to god, I have not bought it a single time when he does it. He claims he doesn't want anyone to feel that any character is safe, so he wants readers to feel the peril, but when he repeatedly puts characters in positions where by rights, they should die just to save them from it AGAIN, it gets boring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GRR Martin does the same thing in the Game of Thrones books. He argues that since he killed a major characted in the first book, his readers a always in suspense whenever a chapter ends with a character's life under threat. Honest to god, I have not bought it a single time when he does it. He claims he doesn't want anyone to feel that any character is safe, so he wants readers to feel the peril, but when he repeatedly puts characters in positions where by rights, they should die just to save them from it AGAIN, it gets boring.

I think I get where you're coming from on this.
    I used to watch Supernatural, and loved it, but after the umpteenth season of one of the characters (Brothers) being dead, or trapped somewhere ungodly, only to be brought back to life in the first episode of the following season ( and always a joyful reunion followed by a major falling out) it got too boring and too obvious that the writers were using the same lazy tricks to keep the viewers hooked.
    I've not seen this in Sherlock - yet - but I hope it doesn't happen, and I hope it doesn't get "soapy", too.
    Still looking forward to season 4 , though :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tbell wrote: »
    I think I get where you're coming from on this.
    I used to watch Supernatural, and loved it, but after the umpteenth season of one of the characters (Brothers) being dead, or trapped somewhere ungodly, only to be brought back to life in the first episode of the following season ( and always a joyful reunion followed by a major falling out) it got too boring and too obvious that the writers were using the same lazy tricks to keep the viewers hooked.
    I've not seen this in Sherlock - yet - but I hope it doesn't happen, and I hope it doesn't get "soapy", too.
    Still looking forward to season 4 , though :)

It already has a bit but that's compared to the first two seasons. Still a billion miles away from Eastenders or Days of our lives!
    Still new myself but welcome to this thread. You missed the tsunami during season 3 and the next one is far away.
    See you around :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It already has a bit but that's compared to the first two seasons. Still a billion miles away from Eastenders or Days of our lives!
    Still new myself but welcome to this thread. You missed the tsunami during season 3 and the next one is far away.
    See you around :)

Thanks;-)
    Hopefully it won't be another two year wait:o:D
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read this from Steven Moffat regarding Moriarty's return - or not:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a549261/sherlock-steven-moffat-explains-moriarty-post-credits-scene.html

"That was [decided] in the cutting room," Moffat revealed. "It was Mark [Gatiss]'s idea to get one more little blip of him, and we shot the live action shot which we hadn't done for the actual show and put that in after the credits.

"It was just a final little treat, really, to wind people up!"

BIB: Oh lovely! :eyeroll:
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s129/sherlock/news/a549261/sherlock-steven-moffat-explains-moriarty-post-credits-scene.html

"That was [decided] in the cutting room," Moffat revealed. "It was Mark [Gatiss]'s idea to get one more little blip of him, and we shot the live action shot which we hadn't done for the actual show and put that in after the credits.

And I thought Moffat was the genius writer that loved huge complex story arcs that only become clear after several viewings! Nope, he just sticks stuff in to wind people up!
  • Options
    fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And I thought Moffat was the genius writer that loved huge complex story arcs that only become clear after several viewings! Nope, he just sticks stuff in to wind people up!

Ah, but remember "he also tells lies", so maybe it's a double bluff.
    (I don't care either way, I still find it the most entertaining drama/comedy/detective series on the telly.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think this was from an Apple Q and A event about series 3, with Steven Moffatt and some of the cast which took place a couple of days ago.

There is a free podcast available on iTunes.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone seen this recent interview with Steven Moffat:

What’s Next on Sherlock? Steven Moffat Answers Our Lingering Questions About Series 3

I don't really know what to say about Moffat's views here but I'm not warming to him at all. I'm just wondering if he is taking the mick, or what?

There's also a bit of a bizarre (IMO) interview with Amanda Abbington at the end of that article, too.

Sherlock’s Amanda Abbington on the Finale, Mary’s Big Secret, and Drunk Martin Freeman

I don't know about anybody else but I still haven't come to terms with how Series 3 panned out, and how the main characters that I've loved for two series have changed so much. And these interviews seem to make me feel worse for some reason lol.

Just wondering what other FMs views are atm?
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing in either interview that surprised me, or made me feel better or worse. As for Moffat, I don't really care either way about him, and don't really understand why he's such a big topic of discussion for many people. He could be the biggest arsehole on the planet for all I care, Sherlock season 3 was what it was, you either enjoyed it or you didn't. I did, but each to their own.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone seen this recent interview with Steven Moffat:

What’s Next on Sherlock? Steven Moffat Answers Our Lingering Questions About Series 3

I don't really know what to say about Moffat's views here but I'm not warming to him at all. I'm just wondering if he is taking the mick, or what?

There's also a bit of a bizarre (IMO) interview with Amanda Abbington at the end of that article, too.

Sherlock’s Amanda Abbington on the Finale, Mary’s Big Secret, and Drunk Martin Freeman

I don't know about anybody else but I still haven't come to terms with how Series 3 panned out, and how the main characters that I've loved for two series have changed so much. And these interviews seem to make me feel worse for some reason lol.

Just wondering what other FMs views are atm?

Moffat is true to himself; good writer, crap PR man.
    At first, you think he's very interesting, then after a while of following what he says, you realise he lives in his own little world of contradictions and attempts to get credit for Doyle's work.
    He actually said Mrs.Hudson wasn't really important in the originals and that she was his creation. It says it all!

I have to give him credit for being entertaining in both capacity as a writer and PR man. He just doesn't have much credibility as a PR man.

Thanks for the links :)
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tbell wrote: »
    Thanks;-)
    Hopefully it won't be another two year wait:o:D

Not looking that hopeful for anything other than a one off special in the foreseeable
    Freeman told Alan Carr at the recording of tomorrow night’s Chatty Man episode: “Mark Gatiss may beat me up, but there is an idea for this one-off special that’s such a good idea, and as I was listening to it I thought ‘we’ve just got to do this’. And I don’t know when we are going to be able to do it, unfortunately.”

He added: “It’s a fantastic, really mouth-watering idea. But I really don’t know when we are going to get to do it.”

Last week the actor revealed that it had been intended to film the new series later this year: “I thought the plan was to do it in the autumn but apparently that’s fallen away.”
    http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/martin-freeman-sherlock-could-return-for-one-off-special
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC has been taken over by Sherlock for an announcement at 2.21pm ( yes ).

Seems a bit of a fuss to announce a 2015 Special.