Options

Which new phone?

tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am due for upgrade next month and have looked at all the available options and come up with a shortlist of 3 handsets.

Which of the following would be the best choice:

Samsung Galaxy S5
HTC One 32GB
Nokia Lumia 1520

Anyone got any of these handsets, and if so are they any good?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Galaxy S5 and love it although I think it's a must to get rid of Samsungs Touchwiz launcher and change it for something like Nova Launcher (it's very easy to do and available on Googles Play store).

With a different launcher it makes it lightening fast (not that it was that slow with Touchwiz as it's a lot better than it use to be) and also there is so much more customization (you can add an extra row of icons which I think makes it a lot better than the standard layout with the larger screen and also change the transaction effects between swiping between screens).
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    tjbantam wrote: »
    I am due for upgrade next month and have looked at all the available options and come up with a shortlist of 3 handsets.

Which of the following would be the best choice:

Samsung Galaxy S5
    HTC One 32GB
    Nokia Lumia 1520

Anyone got any of these handsets, and if so are they any good?

Thanks in advance!

Just to throw a curve ball in - if you dont mind paying a lump sum you could buy a nexus 5 and then get an all-you-can-eat-data tarrif for about £15 a month. Bigger initial outlay but smaller monthly payments :)

If not then out of the three above I'd probably suggest the s5. The HTC One is the previous model. Can't say I know much about the Nokia.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nokia is a 6" phablet comparable to devices like the Samsung Note 3.
    The comparable Nokia to the S5 and the HTC One M8 is the Nokia Lumia 930 which is now available for sale.

HTC One M8 - main pro is beautiful design, main con is camera
    S5 - main pro - decent all rounder, main con is plastic body, touchwiz
    Nokia 930 - Pros: pureview camera, wireless charging, good launch deals, cons - windows phone has fewer apps, older SoC than the android phones.

You should also take a look at LG's G3 as another kitchen sink phone like the S5. Main pro - latest SoC for performance, light skinning to Android, main con - battery life takes a hit due to screen.

You got a few decisions to make as below:
    1. Android vs. Windows Phone
    2. Importance of camera?
    3. Importance of design?
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The Nokia is a 6" phablet comparable to devices like the Samsung Note 3.
    The comparable Nokia to the S5 and the HTC One M8 is the Nokia Lumia 930 which is now available for sale.

HTC One M8 - main pro is beautiful design, main con is camera
    S5 - main pro - decent all rounder, main con is plastic body, touchwiz
    Nokia 930 - Pros: pureview camera, wireless charging, good launch deals, cons - windows phone has fewer apps, older SoC than the android phones.

You should also take a look at LG's G3 as another kitchen sink phone like the S5. Main pro - latest SoC for performance, light skinning to Android, main con - battery life takes a hit due to screen.

You got a few decisions to make as below:
    1. Android vs. Windows Phone
    2. Importance of camera?
    3. Importance of design?

If its the HTC one m8 (not just the one) then I'd change my vote and go for that :)

Always had a soft a lot for HTC (loved my old HTC desire) and sense is much prettier than touchwizz IMHO :)
  • Options
    Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    LG -G3, an amazing phone with a second to none class leading QHD 2k screen! You won't regret it.
  • Options
    ash45ash45 Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    i also do a second vote the the LG G3 only got mine yesterday but already got to say its a cracking phone and the 2k screen is fab

Ash
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moto G 4G version looks like best value 4G phone on market £160 compared to £200+ for nearly all other phones.

Warning - there is an issue with some SD cards (level 10 mostly) not working.
    make sure you can use sd card ok before buying.
  • Options
    tjbantamtjbantam Posts: 1,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your responses.

I won't be buying, it'll be contract upgrade, so price isn't an issue.

The LG never cropped up as if i deal with Vodafone direct, i get 20% off through my work's scheme and they don't show the LG on their website.

I like the S5 as i have an S3 so should be easy enough to get used to the new phone.

The others i'd shortlisted through user reviews on Vodafone's website and on Reevoo.
  • Options
    Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the 1520 is a 6 inch device so if you like massive handsets go for that. A better option in the "Nokia" line is the newly released Nokia Lumia 930. I am getting mine today and it has a 5 inch screen more similar to the other phones in your list.

Check how it looks and it has excellent specs too.

http://www.doi-toshin.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Nokia-Lumia-930-leaked-image.png
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the Galaxy S5 and love it although I think it's a must to get rid of Samsungs Touchwiz launcher and change it for something like Nova Launcher (it's very easy to do and available on Googles Play store).

With a different launcher it makes it lightening fast (not that it was that slow with Touchwiz as it's a lot better than it use to be) and also there is so much more customization (you can add an extra row of icons which I think makes it a lot better than the standard layout with the larger screen and also change the transaction effects between swiping between screens).

I hate to be pedantic but you can't get rid of touchwiz simply by installing a home launcher, it is baked into the OS and by definition it cannot be any faster, the difference is purely imagined.

Out of the OPs choices, assuming the HTC is an M8 that would be my choice out of those.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate to be pedantic but you can't get rid of touchwiz simply by installing a home launcher, it is baked into the OS and by definition it cannot be any faster, the difference is purely imagined.

Out of the OPs choices, assuming the HTC is an M8 that would be my choice out of those.

No, you don't get rid of touchwiz by installing a different launcher.

But a different launcher can be faster purely by being better written/optimised. So the difference is not imagined.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went for the HTC One M8 which I highly recommend
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're all good phones, whichever one you go for you'll likely enjoy.

It is primarily down to personal preference. The S5 and HTC will be close on performance. 1520 probably has the better camera.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member

Its not imagined. When TW is disabled, its not running hogging all the resources. Hence why its faster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tjbantam wrote: »
    Thanks for your responses.

I won't be buying, it'll be contract upgrade, so price isn't an issue.

The LG never cropped up as if i deal with Vodafone direct, i get 20% off through my work's scheme and they don't show the LG on their website.

I like the S5 as i have an S3 so should be easy enough to get used to the new phone.

The others i'd shortlisted through user reviews on Vodafone's website and on Reevoo.

Hi there,

I was like you going for Vodafone on my last contract as I got 20% off for working for my company, but I found the data getting so bad along with many failed/dropped calls recently.

I always swore by O2 and Vodafone for many years, but I see especially Vodafone the worst at the moment.

I tried Three and have never looked back and even the contract I have is around the same price I would have paid with Vodafone even with the 20% off.

I can recommend Three and the only reception issue I had was at home, but this was soon resolved by giving me a free booster box for home, but there is an app for the phones now that you can make calls/receive texts etc over a wireless network.

The difference in speed is unbelievable and I find myself constantly tethering my works Vodafone mobile and laptop (Vodafone dongle) to my own one on Three to update calls on our system.

Also a couple of other people mentioned the LG G3 - it would be worth looking into this phone as well as it looks nice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can't believe that on the S3 or the S5 that I have had (especially the S3).

There was the odd judder with the S3 and not so often with the S5 and I never notice this when Nova was used instead.
  • Options
    GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Its not imagined. When TW is disabled, its not running hogging all the resources. Hence why its faster.

Once again, you cannot just "disable" touchwiz. The home launcher is only one part of it. All of the icons, notifications, apps, underlying code, camera, everything is touchwiz, all of which take resources. You can stick a home launcher on it all you want, which may or may not be more responsive than TW launcher, however, TW launcher and the rest of touchwiz continue to run in the background, so if anything you're using even more memory.

The only way you can truly get rid of touchwiz is to install a custom ROM on it which is based on AOSP (vanilla) android.

Trust me I've owned lots of samsungs, used lots of custom ROMs, there is a HUGE difference between a vanilla ROM with no touchwiz and a touchwiz phone with a custom launcher.

To be fair, I also never felt that the touchwiz launcher was slow either, it was much of the rest of it that didn't impress me. Saying that I'm used to vanilla droid which is WAY faster than anything Samsung can produce with their horrid take on android.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait until september and get the note 4.