Standard should be high from the start with these dancers.....

YULSTARYULSTAR Posts: 593
Forum Member
✭✭
There seems to be a few known dancers in this years line up, I wouldn't have a clue who to pick before it starts, reckon the standard will be high right from the start!

Dani, Kimberley, Denise can all dance very well.......I presume Victoria must be able to dance with her enthusiasm to take part?

Not sure about the boys though....who do we think will challenge?

Comments

• TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    YULSTAR wrote: »
    There seems to be a few known dancers in this years line up, I wouldn't have a clue who to pick before it starts, reckon the standard will be high right from the start!

Dani, Kimberley, Denise can all dance very well.......I presume Victoria must be able to dance with her enthusiasm to take part?

Not sure about the boys though....who do we think will challenge?

Whats a 'ringer', is this a Julian Clary quip.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We usually get "X is a ringer" after Week 1, not before the launch show.
  • YULSTARYULSTAR Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe I used the wrong word......I mean people who are already known for there dancing skills, so we already know they will be good.

Usually there's one or two but there seems to be quite a few this year, but not sure about the boys? Who'd you think?
    Nikki?
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A "ringer" means somebody who misrepresents their own ability in order to gain advantage in a competition, more commonly applied to somebody in sport. Here it's referred to anybody who is suspected to already be able to dance.

Just remember - loads of people thought Michelle Williams would be fantastic...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cwickham wrote: »
    A "ringer" means somebody who misrepresents their own ability in order to gain advantage in a competition, more commonly applied to somebody in sport. Here it's referred to anybody who is suspected to already be able to dance.

Got it....sorry, I've changed the title :D
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a commonly used term on these boards, and I do recall a bit of kerfuffle over Ali Bastian already teaching dance classes.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thank you, I undestand now, a lot of these 'ringers' do seem to get into the finals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see, I usually think it all balances itself out as most people in the business seem to have done all this stage school training/dancing etc so it's not much of an advantage once you get going, but this year there seems to be more.
    I hope I'm wrong cos I like it better when you don't have clear favourites from the start.
    I find it harder to think it's fair when you have someone like Dani taking part who we have all seen dancing very well!
  • CornchipsCornchips Posts: 68,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having seen Westlife on tour:o:D Nicky is the one out of all of them who I would say can dance to a certain extent. People are thinking all Westlife could do was sit on stools and then stand up at a key change - however their tours had all sorts of stuff going on and Nicky was always able to cope quite well with the dance routines (more so than any of the others) therefore I think he might be better than people think he is going to be (particularly at the latin stuff).
  • HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    presume Victoria must be able to dance with her enthusiasm to take part?

She said she can't dance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornchips wrote: »
    Having seen Westlife on tour:o:D Nicky is the one out of all of them who I would say can dance to a certain extent. People are thinking all Westlife could do was sit on stools and then stand up at a key change - however their tours had all sorts of stuff going on and Nicky was always able to cope quite well with the dance routines (more so than any of the others) therefore I think he might be better than people think he is going to be (particularly at the latin stuff).

I hope so, I hope him and Louis can dance :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see, I usually think it all balances itself out as most people in the business seem to have done all this stage school training/dancing etc so it's not much of an advantage once you get going, but this year there seems to be more.
    I hope I'm wrong cos I like it better when you don't have clear favourites from the start.
    I find it harder to think it's fair when you have someone like Dani taking part who we have all seen dancing very well!

I agree that most of the performers will have gone through some sort of stage training that will include dance. Not so for the sports stars or the presenters I would imagine.

However I agree that often the ones who start well aren't always the winners as people like to see improvement and if that improvement isn't as identifiable then they are unlikely to win. therefore those with a back ground in dance imho don't have the advantage that some people think they have. And with Strictly more than any of the other shows the winner usually wins on the basis of their dancing as opposed to a previous fanbase (although I accept a fanbase can help you get through the first few weeks).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »

Yeah, I'm intrigued as not many uber competitive people would enter a competition they didn't think they would do well in.....I'm hoping both her and Louis are good
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heavenly wrote: »

I think with Victoria she has more than likely busted a few moves on the dance floor at the odd wedding or two but doubt she has danced to any great degree or had any training. And given their training regimes I would imagine she didn't spend much of her youth thrashing it out on the club scene either. :D

I think people have different understandings of what people mean when they say they can or can't dance. Some mean "having had no official training" others mean they can't even thrash out a rhythm at their best mates wedding. I think maybe victoria means she hasn't had any formal training and hasn't had much opportunity to do much dancing given her sporting background. I would imagine though that she at least thinks she has some rhythm or else she wouldn't put herself through it - perhaps?:confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think with Victoria she has more than likely busted a few moves on the dance floor at the odd wedding or two but doubt she has danced to any great degree or had any training. And given their training regimes I would imagine she didn't spend much of her youth thrashing it out on the club scene either. :D

I think people have different understandings of what people mean when they say they can or can't dance. Some mean "having had no official training" others mean they can't even thrash out a rhythm at their best mates wedding. I think maybe victoria means she hasn't had any formal training and hasn't had much opportunity to do much dancing given her sporting background. I would imagine though that she at least thinks she has some rhythm or else she wouldn't put herself through it - perhaps?:confused:

Yep, that definitely sounds like a good theory :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think with Victoria she has more than likely busted a few moves on the dance floor at the odd wedding or two

Haven't we all CC......:eek::D
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVO yes, Dani maybe.

Nicky looked good in a Westlife routine, so I dont think he has much dance training but may become very good.

Kimberley is a bit like Nicky but not as natural a dancer IMO and the GA routines look really naff, so I dont think she has much of a lead.

Otherwise I haven't heard of any of them being good dancers or in many cases even dancers, so I'm hoping its a dance learning competition this year where everyone will have a chance if they are gifted enough.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We usually get "X is a ringer" after Week 1, not before the launch show.

It makes more sense if it comes before the launch, imo.

Generally, the ringer is also misrepresented by whoever brought them into the game / contest.
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

"I can't dance" cannot reasonably be meant or understood as "I have no official training".

If Victoria means she hasn't had formal training (despite actually being able to dance well), then she is being disingenuous and rather sly.

It doesn't have to mean she literally can't dance; but it should at least mean that she believes she can't dance very well.
  • Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lets hope so,,,a good looking man doing latin, heaven :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatskia wrote: »
    DVO yes, Dani maybe.

Nicky looked good in a Westlife routine, so I dont think he has much dance training but may become very good.

The only fanciable one out of the group, so glad it's him. :D
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »
    "I can't dance" cannot reasonably be meant or understood as "I have no official training".

If Victoria means she hasn't had formal training (despite actually being able to dance well), then she is being disingenuous and rather sly.

It doesn't have to mean she literally can't dance; but it should at least mean that she believes she can't dance very well.

Denise has official training but reckons she can't dance very well!
  • twinchassis88twinchassis88 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veri wrote: »

Victoria has said on twitter that all she's done is jumped up and down in DM boots!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Denise has official training but reckons she can't dance very well!

Okaaaaay. :D