Three network roaming partners

johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I'm off to Hong Kong and Australia in October, luckily Feel At Home destinations.

Do i have to manually select the partner networks or will the phone connect automatically?

Is there a list of partner networks somewhere as i've looked all over the Three website and i can't find it.

TIA

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the roaming page http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_abroad

You can leave it on auto, don't know the actual partners.
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Here's the roaming page http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international/Roaming_abroad

Thanks, after further reading around the web the partner network in Australia is Vodafone and for Hong Kong it's Three, shame there isn't a list of roaming partners though.

Three don't have any data agreement for Singapore, where i'm also going. just as well because it'd probably cost a fortune. :o
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »

The 3 website used to list the partner networks in each country, but that seems to have been removed.

Australia might be Vodafone which is a joint venture between Vodafone and Hutchison. Hong Kong has a 3 network.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

Brilliant thanks mate, i thought you'd have the answer :)

Is it best to manually select these in case my phone connects to another network and i get charged, or will i be unable to connect to another network?
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    Brilliant thanks mate, i thought you'd have the answer :)

Is it best to manually select these in case my phone connects to another network and i get charged, or will i be unable to connect to another network?

You;d be unable to connect to the other networks.

You can select it manually but it should connect automatically 99.9% of the time.

Three worked great for me last time I was in Hong Kong. It's a really great service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You;d be unable to connect to the other networks.

You can select it manually but it should connect automatically 99.9% of the time.

Three worked great for me last time I was in Hong Kong. It's a really great service.

Thanks. With all the reading i did this afternoon i saw that when 3 had a similar service all those years ago phones were connecting to networks that weren't part of the agreement and people were getting charged.

Is there any info for roaming partners in other countries or is it just any network that isn't a FAH destination?
    Forum Member
    Thanks. With all the reading i did this afternoon i saw that when 3 had a similar service all those years ago phones were connecting to networks that weren't part of the agreement and people were getting charged.

Is there any info for roaming partners in other countries or is it just any network that isn't a FAH destination?

The new Feel at Home plan is different compared to the one from a few years ago.

Before you had to roam on the Three network otherwise you'd be charged. On this new plan you can roam on any network in that country and you won't be charged at all. So there is literally no way you can be charged for the service. (As long as you're not at a border/travelling between countries and picking up another country signal. For example if you travel near the mainland you may pick up China Unicom instead of a Hong Kong network and this may charge you.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The new Feel at Home plan is different compared to the one from a few years ago.

Before you had to roam on the Three network otherwise you'd be charged. On this new plan you can roam on any network in that country and you won't be charged at all.

So when i'm in Oz i can connect to virgin or optus if VF has no coverage and i wouldn't be charged?
    Forum Member
    So when i'm in Oz i can connect to virgin or optus if VF has no coverage and i wouldn't be charged?

Any network that Three partner with. Sorry if i didn't make that clear.

E.g in Italy you had to connect to Three and Three only a few years ago, If you roamed onto Wind you'd be charged. Now you can connect to either Three or Wind and you won't be charged for using either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any network that Three partner with. Sorry if i didn't make that clear.

E.g in Italy you had to connect to Three and Three only a few years ago, If you roamed onto Wind you'd be charged. Now you can connect to either Three or Wind and you won't be charged for using either.

OK, thanks for the clarification :)
  • rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi, It would appear that you can still view their roaming agreements from "Calling & Texting Abroad" part of their website under Roaming & International, although don't count on these as real roaming partners as for example France still lists Orange as one of their network partners but you cannot use this anymore.

Link: http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international
    Click on 'Call & Text from the UK'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Hi, It would appear that you can still view their roaming agreements from "Calling & Texting Abroad" part of their website under Roaming & International, although don't count on these as real roaming partners as for example France still lists Orange as one of their network partners but you cannot use this anymore.

Link: http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_international
    Click on 'Call & Text from the UK'

Thanks for that, it also says under Australia that Telstra is a partner network. I'll give CS a call in the week to find out whether that comes under a FAH network as well.
  • rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, it also says under Australia that Telstra is a partner network. I'll give CS a call in the week to find out whether that comes under a FAH network as well.

Yes it does, but interestingly it is only availble to pay monthly customers, and if Telstra is one of their partners then yes it would be included as FAH.
  • GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member

Virgin is just an MVNO - you won't roam onto an MVNO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Yes it does, but interestingly it is only availble to pay monthly customers, and if Telstra is one of their partners then yes it would be included as FAH.

That's good to know.
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Virgin is just an MVNO - you won't roam onto an MVNO.

Course it is, i should have realised.
    Forum Member
    As far as I'm aware, you can't use Telstra in Australia as they are no longer a roaming partner anymore,

I could be wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm aware, you can't use Telstra in Australia as they are no longer a roaming partner anymore,

I could be wrong.

OK, you're probably right as a poster above mentioned Orange still showing for France although they're no longer a partner.
  • jamllewjamllew Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I'm in Melbourne airport now and I'm on Telstra. Most of the trip I have been with them, only occasionally Vodafone so at the moment anyway, Telstra is still a roaming partner.
    Forum Member
    jamllew wrote: »
    I'm in Melbourne airport now and I'm on Telstra. Most of the trip I have been with them, only occasionally Vodafone so at the moment anyway, Telstra is still a roaming partner.

That's good to know. Thanks for the correction.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the roaming information on the Three website seems to be wrong or out of date. I was in Rhodes recently, the website listed Vodafone and Cosmote as the roaming partners with no data available. My phone actually connected to 'WIND' and data worked fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info.
    Forum Member
    That's good to know. Thanks for the correction.

No problem. I don't have any proof for this but it does seem that my iPad SIM is faster than my phone SIM in terms of loading web pages up. As others have said, streaming video is a no go but everything works great. Had full coverage during almost all of the drive along the great ocean road and on a drive up to the blue mountains. It's an excellent service.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem. I don't have any proof for this but it does seem that my iPad SIM is faster than my phone SIM in terms of loading web pages up. As others have said, streaming video is a no go but everything works great. Had full coverage during almost all of the drive along the great ocean road and on a drive up to the blue mountains. It's an excellent service.

I'm really interested to see how google now works abroard. With data constantly on it should be really useful.

Did you use it at all on your trip?
    Forum Member
    I'm really interested to see how google now works abroard. With data constantly on it should be really useful.

Did you use it at all on your trip?

I wouldn't say I have used it extensively this time but it gives the same information as at home plus a time back home as well as an up to date currency converter. If your flights were booked using a Gmail address it gives information on their status as well asinfo on weather.