This is England 86 (Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pxd867 wrote: »
    Thought it was a good scene setter, although I'm not sure about the fashions - Woody seems to be wearing a mod haircut which had died out by the late 70s and wouldn't appear again until the mid 90s (although Paul Weller might be an exception) - but on the other hand, the scooter boys are accurate. I was 5/6 in 1986 and remember them going down my road all the time, (almost running kids like me on their bikes off the road!). There's a element of Siouxsie Sioux to the girls, which is accurate for the era.

The guy with Lol's mum seems to have a sinister edge, maybe a paedo or something?

10/10
  • marsha_Cutiepiemarsha_Cutiepie Posts: 9,721
    Forum Member
    I HATE to say this, but i LOVED the movie and am not just getting the show.

The comedy moments seem very contrived and the drama just OOT and not very convincing.....

Hope it improves and I know I am being harsh but I am just not getting it.

Very much liking the LOL and Woody storyline (as in him not being there for her and that) but thats about the only one....
  • Bonesy84Bonesy84 Posts: 5,741
    Forum Member
    Any one else think they would of been better off just making another film :confused:
  • Ginger GeekGinger Geek Posts: 6,182
    Forum Member
    Ooo! Trouble ahead!
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Sandhu tut tut tut :eek:
    Forum Member
    Bonesy84 wrote: »
    Any one else think they would of been better off just making another film :confused:

Why? The story would be the same just a different format.
    Forum Member
    Mr Sandhu tut tut tut :eek:

Caught making his own home movie! :D
  • Mo@realityMo@reality Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if this is a retro Shameless, it's still better than most of the other tripe thats on tv at the moment.
  • LARulzLARulz Posts: 34,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boobage!!
    Forum Member
    Loved that! Got a feeling things are going darker.
  • Sinbazro_05Sinbazro_05 Posts: 923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was led to believe that this series was made because Shane Meadows had some great material which he didn't include in the 'This is England' film, but I'm yet to see any of it. The whole story feels so contrived (Shaun's mother bedding the shop-keeper, Meggy fathering a child with the woman from the shoe shop etc). Who knows, maybe something interesting will happen next week.
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I was led to believe that this series was made because Shane Meadows had some great material which he didn't include in the 'This is England' film, but I'm yet to see any of it. The whole story feels so contrived (Shaun's mother bedding the shop-keeper, Meggy fathering a child with the woman from the shoe shop etc). Who knows, maybe something interesting will happen next week.

Yeah, I'm rather struggling to see the point of it all.

But it's still a good watch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,699
    Forum Member
    Hells teeth you evidently go a bit overboard about shows you like, please calm down.
    You're updating the thread in my subscription list and you've posted nothing worth reading.

Sorry I didnt realise :(
  • BritishHoboBritishHobo Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This feels weird. Just feels so different from the film, like an odd comedy. Especially the bits with that lady doing the Mrs. Robinson thing, and her kid looking like Meggy.

Feels more like a crap, 80s Inbetweeners than This Is England.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    It's 60% Shameless, 20% The Street and 20% Soap Opera, it's also the worst thing Shane Meadows has ever done.

Turgoose and the guy playing Milky are two of the worst actors I've ever seen, when they were younger you didn't notice but you do now.

Also far too PC, Meadows has been heading this way for a while, away from his roots and his earlier more authentic films, he's become a right-on Southern luvvy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I am loving it!

Am I the only one? :eek:
  • jonm01jonm01 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assemble a bunch of freaks and put them in a bleak setting. Is that all it takes for people to think you're some hot shot filmmaker?
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    It's 60% Shameless, 20% The Street and 20% Soap Opera, it's also the worst thing Shane Meadows has ever done.

Turgoose and the guy playing Milky are two of the worst actors I've ever seen, when they were younger you didn't notice but you do now.

Also far too PC, Meadows has been heading this way for a while, away from his roots and his earlier more authentic films, he's become a right-on Southern luvvy.

Turgoose was amazing during Milky's beating and proof of that is he won a BAFTA
    Forum Member
    I am loving it!

Am I the only one? :eek:

I love it too :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I love it too :)

High five to you :D
  • marsha_Cutiepiemarsha_Cutiepie Posts: 9,721
    Forum Member
    This feels weird. Just feels so different from the film, like an odd comedy. Especially the bits with that lady doing the Mrs. Robinson thing, and her kid looking like Meggy.

I am in agreement that is becoming a poor let down for what was a truly amazing raw intense Meadows film.

I keep on wanting to like it , but am instead finding the attempts at humour really poor, and at drama very obvious and contrived.

Turgoose for me (and I hate to see it as his amazing breakthrough performance in This is England just blew me away) is very poor ..... I dont know what it is but he captures nothing of the vulnerable yet excitable, lonley yet strong and willful kid he portrayed in TIE.

When he is on screen its just nothing....I think Milky is ok, and I do like Woody, and LOL has been the best part of the show so far, but Turgoose has been very disappointing...:(

I am really hoping Combo will arrive and breath much needed live into the show....but I am not holding out for much :(
  • Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it too, but I definitely think it's a slow burner. It WILL get better through each episode :)
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Loved that! Got a feeling things are going darker.

I enjoyed it too.
    I like the light and dark myself.
    I didn't think the film was all that amazing as some seem to on here.
    I didn't invest so much into it, so I'm not disappointed with the TV show.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    Turgoose was amazing during Milky's beating and proof of that is he won a BAFTA

Bruce Jones (Les Battersby) won the European Actors Award for Raining Stones but when he was on Coronation Street he stunk the place up.

The difference is when making partly improvised films and playing themselves, untrained actors can be very good and look very "real" but when they get a script and try to "act" they can't always do it.
    Forum Member
    Bruce Jones (Les Battersby) won the European Actors Award for Raining Stones but when he was on Coronation Street he stunk the place up.

The difference is when making partly improvised films and playing themselves, untrained actors can be very good and look very "real" but when they get a script and try to "act" they can't do it.

Ahh ok I understand what your saying :)