Tablet suggestions needed

bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all

Am investigating tablets as a present for someone and would like some suggestions - while it would primarily be for watching movies on a usb stick via hdtv, internet would be a handy feature so when travelling they could still jump on the wundaweb and watch catchuptv, browse websites, bit of email.

Home internet however for the person concerned is rj45 rather than wifi (wifi messed with the cctv apparently despite channel changes, so it's now all on rj45 again) so either an rj45 port or the facility to be able to run an ethernet adaptor through an OTG cable - or even 3G Sim/mobile broadband dongle if all else failed, I'm happy to pay monthly for a couple of gig for them to mess about with. Would mifi have the same issues with his cctv as wifi?

Was about to buy a Versus touch tab but on reading reviews around the web, it seems a lot of people are having problems with the brightness function, turning it down too far accidentally turns the entire screen off to practically pitch black and then it's a mare trying to sort, because you can no longer see what you're doing. Am reading that is a curveball on many tablets as well as the Versus? How's the Sumvision Cyclone Voyager compared to the Versus?

I have also looked at cheerful Chinese tablets on ebay predominantly as many of them had rj45 port which would just make my life easier setting everything up for him as could just be plugged straight into the ethernet set up and them plugged into a tv, but would suspect UK warrantys are tricky, and that menus and user guides in Chinese might be the order of the day and I don't want to confuse the poor bugger!

I'd buy a media player but I think he would be tickled sitting on the sofa with a touchscreen tablet, scrolling away and googling and showing people it on his tv lol, and it's for his 70th so happy to splurge. Needs to be at least 8 inches screen I reckon as well, for his big fingers.

Failing that, an android tv box will have to do but everyone seems to complain about the remote/keyboard/air mouse bobbins all being crap and of course it can't be used as a standalone viewer without a tv to hook up to whereas a tablet can be used to watch a movie while on holiday in Spain.

The more research I do, the more confoosed I am getting, every kit out there has a horror story or 2, but there must be somebody who is happy with their tablet?

so, best tablet for around £150 ish with bluetooth for a keyboard option and some sort of ethernet connection capability with a decent enough resolution to take on holiday and watch a movie

or

best android box that won;t get hacked/rooted/is secure/reputable company/UK warranty

ps I assume xbmc is so hackable that I should just stay away from it?

Comments