Options

Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 9)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    It's funny how it's Ramadam and yet Alya is only too happy to sit with Gary in the pub with a glass of orange juice in front of her. (To be fair, she didn't drink any of it – but that's beside the point.)

You'd think that after all of the fuss she made about it being Ramadam on Friday, breaking her fast would be precisely the opposite of what she'd do.
  • Options
    fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    has not one person even considered the possibility Faye may have post natal depression? or is that irrelevant because that's not the direction the storyline is going in?

any other new mother with zero interest in her baby, and surely this is what everyone around her would be considering?
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Christening on a Monday, Pub Quiz night on a Friday....crazy "working class" Corrie.

So glad Kylie put Callum in his place. Again the Fairy drug dealer ended his scene with a smirk, moments after asking if Max was around!!
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackol wrote: »
    Not being pedantic but it was number 1 in Apr 76
    http://www.everyhit.com/searchsec.php
    Wrong!

More than happy to be pedantic back.

No it wasn't, it entered the charts in late April 1976, but reached No1 when announced on radio on Wednesday 2nd June 1976 (would normally have been Tuesday 1st but for the Bank Holiday that week) which is in the official books as w/e 5th June.

Got to get these things right I agree. ;-)

Wasn't CS stupifyingly dull tonight. ^_^
  • Options
    SoapyMcSoapSoapyMcSoap Posts: 1,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So glad Kylie put Callum in his place. Again the Fairy drug dealer ended his scene with a smirk, moments after asking if Max was around!!

At last he got told to stop prancing into the house...
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At last he got told to stop prancing into the house...

Why is he always prancing into the house with Sarah in tow? I can't remember the last time he came round without Sarah to hold his hand. I know it's so he can stroll straight through into the house as Sarah would have a key to get in but it's starting to annoy me now.
  • Options
    JohnDoe14JohnDoe14 Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does Sarah think Callum does for a living? Like seriously what does he put down as his job on childcare forms and all that? Does it not click for Sarah that he's not reformed when he's buying expensive stuff for her whilst having to pay a load for all of these lawyers and stuff to get Max back.

Also according to everywhere I've looked Craig was born in 1998 so he's in year 11. So he's the first character I remember going from year 11 to sixth form/college since Sophie and Sian 5 years ago which hasn't been addressed at all. And he would have just been through a month's period jam-packed with exams and yet we've not seen him revising or mention his exams and he's has plenty of time to be going out and painting murals. Which is another thing as not once has this show mentioned that he's remotely interested in art before this (although I haven't been paying too much attention for a while with the state the show is in so maybe it has?).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next Gary does "deck of cards". I was that soldier. :D

He'd be better doing Stan Ridgeway's "Camouflage" but as "Quinnyflage";-)
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ericos wrote: »
    He'd be better doing Stan Ridgeway's "Camouflage" but as "Quinnyflage";-)

Ahh, poor Quinny, the unluckiest soldier there ever was. Shot to death by the Taliban in a disused Welsh quarry.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way an oddball and eccentric like Mary would be a member of the gym.
  • Options
    jackoljackol Posts: 7,887
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Wrong!

More than happy to be pedantic back.

No it wasn't, it entered the charts in late April 1976, but reached No1 when announced on radio on Wednesday 2nd June 1976 (would normally have been Tuesday 1st but for the Bank Holiday that week) which is in the official books as w/e 5th June.

Got to get these things right I agree. ;-)

Wasn't CS stupifyingly dull tonight. ^_^
    Right, with you.
  • Options
    Tippy ToesTippy Toes Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks to the forum for keeping me up to date on the last 10 mins last night. Dropped off due to lack of interest and missed the bit about the quiz.

Wondering how the long the gym will last as it was only created to give Kal a job on the Street and it does seem incredible that characters like Mary or Julie would ever be interested. In fact the only credible character who would probably use it is Gary, although I doubt anyone there could afford a gym membership as they spend all their money in the Rovers or in the Bistro.

Same with the community centre, they have to create s/ls to use it, but if the Kal family grandmother (name escapes me) is written out, that'll probably go too.

Agree with fayemain's post about post natal depression. They could really make something of that but I fear it'll all go away when the baby storyline ends with the handover (oops spoiler alert).
  • Options
    stevepjkstevepjk Posts: 2,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so the whole community centre was taken over by one family having drug councelling with the front door wide open, good use of a community resource there.

only good bit for me was the counselor thinking gail was the addict
  • Options
    FionnBFionnB Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    jackol wrote: »
    Not being pedantic but it was number 1 in Apr 76
    http://www.everyhit.com/searchsec.php

It was No. 1 in June and Rich Tea is correct. Everyhit gives the date when a song was first in the charts, not when it hit its peak. Save Your Kisses for Me was No. 1 for all of April that year!
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    sam_gee wrote: »
    :D:D

And Gail could do I've been to Paradise but I#ve never been to me

I'd love to hear Roy serenade Fiz with a rousing chorus of "shaddap yer face"!!
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cathy has seen Roy a couple of times on the allotment and in the cafe. Fiz sees her for the the first time and immediately believes that there is a romance going on!
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevepjk wrote: »
    so the whole community centre was taken over by one family having drug councelling with the front door wide open, good use of a community resource there.

only good bit for me was the counselor thinking gail was the addict

Stupid wasn't it? With that big window, they were there in full view of the locals. Wouldn't counselling take place in a room away from the public view and being a community centre people might want to pop in to ask about the services on offer.

Also how long was the one hour session? It seemed to take up at least ¾ of last night's 2 progs!
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    has not one person even considered the possibility Faye may have post natal depression? or is that irrelevant because that's not the direction the storyline is going in?

any other new mother with zero interest in her baby, and surely this is what everyone around her would be considering?

Wouldn't social services be involved with Faye and the baby? It seems that the fishwife is in charge and Faye has no say in anything. This SL has been very unrealistic and underwhelming.
  • Options
    fayemianfayemian Posts: 3,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Wouldn't social services be involved with Faye and the baby? It seems that the fishwife is in charge and Faye has no say in anything. This SL has been very unrealistic and underwhelming.

Yeah, didn't a social worker come round very early on, Faye told her she didn't want the baby and wanted her adopted, and shag all has happened since?

Or did I miss them coming back discussing this further?
  • Options
    Tippy ToesTippy Toes Posts: 658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fayemian wrote: »
    Yeah, didn't a social worker come round very early on, Faye told her she didn't want the baby and wanted her adopted, and shag all has happened since?

Or did I miss them coming back discussing this further?

You probably fell asleep with the rest of the audience.:)
  • Options
    desperate housedesperate house Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another waste of a whole hour for me. The ridiculous christening that no one attended, the cringey, cheesy reading of a song lyric that was cringey and cheesy the first time around, (did they think we wouldn't notice?). Faye doing her usual arsey, "I down wan it", well you should have thought of that before.... Jackson again not uttering a single word, is he mute or maybe he cannot be trusted with actual words in a script. Miley with her head in bandages, Anna being in charge and bellowing like a sick cow, Tim grizzling. FGS what is this am dram night?

Why did the Platts go to a drug counselling session on their own street? When Peter went to AA it was miles away. Who would want to tell the world that they have a drug problem? Anyway, it wasn't anywhere in the same league as Peter's AA meeting thanks to the wonderful and much missed Blanche. All we had was a load of cobblers about Michael and Gail, as if anyone bl**dy cared.

One bright spot was Kylie putting the dreadful Sarah and the fairy drug dealer in their place. At last Kylie is getting her mojo back, hooray.

Is Sarah really that thick? Drug dealer buys her a really expensive (designer) handbag and he comes out with such guff as "it's what men go to work for!" and before that he told her he had to leave her to "go to work", what work? He spends more time in the pub and lounging around the street than doing anything constructive. When Kylie told them to get out, Sarah didn't even have the grace to look ashamed of her behaviour, just "tell mum I was looking for her" It's no wonder her daughter is such a vile spoilt gobby brat, that apple did not fall far from the tree.

Cheesy tunes? How about Ken singing Old Shep to Eccles and Liz singing "Blanket on the Ground" to any passing random bloke that is still breathing?
  • Options
    TheJazzmanTheJazzman Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    culabula wrote: »
    When having a "christen"-ing and concerned that you may have overdone it on the food, make sure, during Ramadan and during daylight, that you invite the first two Muslims who cross your path for sausage rolls and booze.

I wish this place had a like button.
  • Options
    TheJazzmanTheJazzman Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    Bethaneeny wrote: »
    I work in a pub, and worked in a different one last year - no way would you be able to hold a quiz on a Friday night. The one I work at now isn't particularly big, nor is it in a town centre, it's on a parade of shops and takeaways in a small village - but way way too busy to do a quiz, from about 6pm onwards.

A Friday night quiz is probably one of the last ideas a landlord tries before finally going out of business.
  • Options
    Louise_HammondLouise_Hammond Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    cardian wrote: »
    Alya: "That was disappointingly quick, Jason."

Jason: "But you said it was Ramadan, so we had to go fast."

lol funny :)
  • Options
    EMLEML Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Next Gary does "deck of cards". I was that soldier. :D

I love this thread, and this made me laugh out loud. Brilliant!
This discussion has been closed.