Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Comments

• The_BonoboThe_Bonobo Posts: 5,648
    Forum Member
    Although some did not like the books vanishing effect one of the things I like is how they
    create atmosphere from small moments (or less flashy effects). The raven poking through
    the mirror was really creepy. I also like how the flashier stuff is limited. Less is more.

Off topic (ish) the raven parts caused me to look up some stuff about ravens. Apparently they
    have very large brains in proportion to their body, similar to chimps, and well above most
    animals. They also have been shown to display some impressive levels of intelligence, and
    other unusual attributes such as empathy and pseudo-hand gestures. Here is a link to some
    fascinating facts about ravens. They are coming to get ya. :o:D

http://mentalfloss.com/article/53295/10-fascinating-facts-about-ravens
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think physically then the books disappearing makes sense. Mr Norrel made them so they didn't exist and when a space is suddenly void of a physical form the air rushes back in to fill it, hence the noise.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    The_Bonobo wrote: »
    Although some did not like the books vanishing effect one of the things I like is how they
    create atmosphere from small moments (or less flashy effects). The raven poking through
    the mirror was really creepy. I also like how the flashier stuff is limited. Less is more.

Off topic (ish) the raven parts caused me to look up some stuff about ravens. Apparently they
    have very large brains in proportion to their body, similar to chimps, and well above most
    animals. They also have been shown to display some impressive levels of intelligence, and
    other unusual attributes such as empathy and pseudo-hand gestures. Here is a link to some
    fascinating facts about ravens. They are coming to get ya. :o:D

http://mentalfloss.com/article/53295/10-fascinating-facts-about-ravens

Ravens and Crows have superb problem solving skills.
    There are some amazing youtubes of crows solving Krypton Factor type puzzles sometimes solving them faster than human test subjects.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That reminds me the subs kept saying Crows when it should have been Ravens. As in Crows cawing.
    Forum Member
    CBFreak wrote: »
    That reminds me the subs kept saying Crows when it should have been Ravens. As in Crows cawing.

should have just said corvids cawing :D
  • Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I thought it was deliberately done like that for comedic effect.

I thought it was done rather well. And amusing. The SFX and costumes and tone I have no problems with, the georgian costumes, even the decor, is superbly accurate as is the production values. Its the plot/story/ that bothers me. Strange is definitely the word.
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,773
    Forum Member
    Bumping this for the last episode tonight.
  • soda syphonsoda syphon Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    That was bloody good !
  • PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was very disappointed with how much they changed the ending, particularly Stephen Black's story.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a rubbish ending.:( I wanted Johnathan to return to his wife.

What happened to the raven King?

Brilliant series otherwise.
  • HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a brilliant series :-D
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was bloody good !

I thought so too.
    Plant wrote: »
    I was very disappointed with how much they changed the ending, particularly Stephen Black's story.

I haven't read the book (yet!) but perhaps they wrote is as they did with another series in mind?
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did the book have a happy ending for Jonathan and his wife? Why don't people write happy endings anymore?
  • PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought so too.

I haven't read the book (yet!) but perhaps they wrote is as they did with another series in mind?

No, the final result was the same - they just took away how it happened and made out he was working on the instructions of others rather than making decisions for himself. Also they didn't even bother to show what happened to him in the end.
    Forum Member
    Brilliant!
    Loved it!
    Bertie Carvel was superb!
    Really one of the best adaptations i've ever seen. Usually i am so disappointed in a novel to screen adaptation but this has been superb big round of applause to the makers.
    The production design was glorious.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was fantastic and eerily beautiful. Carvel and Marsan really pulled off amazing performances. I'm so sad it has finished. :(

Some of it was changed from the book like the way Lascelles met his end but I guess this was for dramatic effect. Strange and Norell are trapped in faerie wandering the kings roads so Jonathan cannot ever be with Arabella again.:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It wasn't much changed from the book - Stephen does defeat the gentleman and become the king of Lost hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    Brilliant!
    Loved it!
    Bertie Carvel was superb!
    Really one of the best adaptations i've ever seen. Usually i am so disappointed in a novel to screen adaptation but this has been superb big round of applause to the makers.
    The production design was glorious.

Totally agree with this. It was incredible.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I'm honest I can't remember much detail about the end of the book, except that Jonathan and Arabella don't end up together, and Stephen becomes King of Lost Hope, which improves Lost Hope immensely. Did John Uskglass do so little in the book? He seemed a bit wasted in the TV version.

As both these criteria were met, I'm very happy with the adaptation as it was. It definitely kept me glued to the screen, which is rare for me nowadays.

I have loved everything about the programme, the actors, script and special effects.

How I loved Bertie Carvel. :)
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    I thought the ending was a disjointed mess. Made me sorry I bothered watching the entire series.
  • VideoTapirVideoTapir Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was consistently excellent. The casting was superb.
    Forum Member
    In the DS article there is talk of a series 2 :confused:
    Are they proposing going beyond the novel? Is this likely?
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    planets wrote: »
    In the DS article there is talk of a series 2 :confused:

Not really. There is speculation in the article about adapting other works by Susanna Clarke but given the way JS&MN has performed I doubt it would be a major series.
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Not really. There is speculation in the article about adapting other works by Susanna Clarke but given the way JS&MN has performed I doubt it would be a major series.

We are not the only market though.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    I've read the book and I still didn't have a clue what happened during the last 30 minutes. It was a hot mess.