Options

Trade union leaders are planning coordinated nationwide strikes

AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
I just can't understand why the unions seem dedicated to undermining the economic recovery.

Mark Serwotka told The Times: “We are looking at the spring. The more of us that stand together against the cuts, the more problems we can create. Unless you look like you want a fight, they won’t negotiate. The Government has to see we are serious.”

Union bosses hope to organise mass walkouts at the end of April, on the few working days sandwiched between the Easter weekend of April 22 – 25, the royal wedding on April 29 and the May Day bank holiday on May 2.

What exactly do they hope to achieve apart from making the lives of some people miserable?

In the event of a mass walkout Ed Miliband would be forced to decide whether to support the unions or condemn the action.

The Labour leader was elected with help from unions and the party is reliant on union funding, but in his speech at the Labour Party conference Mr Miliband condemned some strikes as "irresponsible."

Comments

• Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was always planned.

I recall literally just before the last GE Gordon Brown had a meeting with several Union leaders. I wonder why? ;)

I hope they do strike because then when the strikers face a backlash from the people they will be worse off and they will have virtually little sympathy from the public and it will be another nail in the coffin of the Unions.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    The government (current and previous) are/were making people's lives a misery but that is clearly ok to some I'm all right Jack types.
    If a union holds a legitimate ballot and their members vote to strike then I don't see an issue unless you believe that nobody should be allowed to ever protest against yet another uncaring government. I will look at the reasons for why they are striking before I decide whether I will support them rather than blindly and ignorantly dismissing the reasons before anything has actually happened.
  • Options
    VellumVellum Posts: 6,825
    Forum Member
    The government (current and previous) are/were making people's lives a misery but that is clearly ok to some I'm all right Jack types.
    If a union holds a legitimate ballot and their members vote to strike then I don't see an issue unless you believe that nobody should be allowed to ever protest against yet another uncaring government. I will look at the reasons for why they are striking before I decide whether I will support them rather than blindly and ignorantly dismissing the reasons before anything has actually happened.

Hmmm, my local council is going on strike through Unison, they held a ballot for action, only 16% of those entitled to voted in the ballot, and only 9% voted for strike action, that means we will have a 5 day strike with no council services because 9% of council workers actually want it.

The thing with Unions is its only militants who tend to vote, a bit like Student Union reps.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vellum wrote: »
    The thing with Unions is its only militants who tend to vote, a bit like Student Union reps.
    So complain to the people who DIDN'T vote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I didn't do that I merely questioned what they hoped to achieve.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm, my local council is going on strike through Unison, they held a ballot for action, only 16% of those entitled to voted in the ballot, and only 9% voted for strike action, that means we will have a 5 day strike with no council services because 9% of council workers actually want it.

And what are their stated objectives?

I fail to see what they could possibly be.:confused:

I just saw a union representative person on t.v. who said that they are on the side of the ordinary working person. You could have fooled me.

Some of thse who travel to work are facing huge fare increases and will now have the added misery of disruption by people claiming to be on their side.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The more of us that stand together against the cuts, the more problems we can create."

Be interesting to see if this attude to the public will do anything to halt the decades old decline in union membership.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »
    Be interesting to see if this attude to the public will do anything to halt the decades old decline in union membership.

Well they will certainly succeed in their aim of creating problems.:mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    And what are their stated objectives?

I fail to see what they could possibly be.:confused:

Just opposition to job losses through council cuts (estimated at 1500)

Not sure how refusing to empty peoples overflowing bins after Xmas/NYE or gritting roads is going to help their cause?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    So complain to the people who DIDN'T vote.

They are probably happy with an extra 5 days off but not interested in the political aims of the strike action.

Only people who will suffer are people who pay their council tax for the council services.
  • Options
    Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The aim of strike action is to make a public declaration against the scale and speed of public sector spending cuts which will cause misery to thousands who will be made unemployed with little prospect of alternative work and robbing communities of services needed by the most vulnerable. If that's not a cause worth protesting about I don't know what is.

So sorry if the services and livelihoods of millions of people cause a little disruption but tell it to the government who are destroying our public sector. The unions are merely representing their members who care both about the services they provide and of course their own ability to support their families.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will be interesting to see what they actually go on strike about as all they appear to mention is spending cuts and housing benefit has been singled out which is completely unrelated to any specific union or its workers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are probably happy with an extra 5 days off but not interested in the political aims of the strike action.

Only people who will suffer are people who pay their council tax for the council services.

Listen to yourselves - staff are unpaid when they strike so they have to be pretty damn interested in the aims of the strike before voting for it.

Employees are council tax payers too - and the recipients of services will suffer even more than a few day's disruption if these cuts are allowed to be implemented.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The aim of strike action is to make a public declaration against the scale and speed of public sector spending cuts which will cause misery to thousands who will be made unemployed with little prospect of alternative work and robbing communities of services needed by the most vulnerable. If that's not a cause worth protesting about I don't know what is.

So sorry if the services and livelihoods of millions of people cause a little disruption but tell it to the government who are destroying our public sector. The unions are merely representing their members who care both about the services they provide and of course their own ability to support their families.

But the strikes will have no effect locally, the only way they could succeed is to bring the govt down with a national strike 1930s style, and that would be pretty much impossible these days.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what they actually go on strike about as all they appear to mention is spending cuts and housing benefit has been singled out which is completely unrelated to any specific union or its workers.

So you don't think it's legitimate for people who provide a service to protest about an attack on that service - I thought public sector workers were all work-shy layabouts with gold plated pensions. Many are absolutely committed to the services they provide and are devestated at the idea of the destruction being wrought by these cuts as well as deeply worried over the impact on communities of wholesale redundancies when there are no private sector jobs available to absorb the displaced workers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Listen to yourselves - staff are unpaid when they strike so they have to be pretty damn interested in the aims of the strike before voting for it..

But 91% did not vote for it :confused:
    Employees are council tax payers too - and the recipients of services will suffer even more than a few day's disruption if these cuts are allowed to be implemented.

And a localised council strike will stop them being implemented how exactly?

The councils do not have the money from central govt, so a council strike is totally pointless
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the strikes will have no effect locally, the only way they could succeed is to bring the govt down with a national strike 1930s style, and that would be pretty much impossible these days.

The whole point of a strike is to raise the profile of the dispute and create some leverage for change. I certainly hope it succeeds and I'd support anyone who chose to strike.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So you don't think it's legitimate for people who provide a service to protest about an attack on that service.

Protest and strike action are two different things. I don't believe those involved for example in processing housing benefit claims have any business striking about the level of such benefits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But 91% did not vote for it :confused:

And a localised council strike will stop them being implemented how exactly?

The councils do not have the money from central govt, so a council strike is totally pointless

What planet do you live on? Of course councils have money from central government - and it's being cut by 28% over the next four years - more than half of which is being cut in year one. This is the whole point - central government is massively cutting its grants to local government making it inevitable that they will have to make large numbers of people redundant and cut services with effect from 1 April.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    Protest and strike action are two different things. I don't believe those involved for example in processing housing benefit claims have any business striking about the level of such benefits.

It's not just benefit levels that are being cut though - it's the funding that pays staff to process housing benefit meaning that large numbers of them will be thrown on the dole.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The person who will be most affected is of course Ed Miliband who will have to make a public announcement of where he stands. And he will get some stick at PMQs for having been seen to have been the unions' stooge in the leadership contest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What planet do you live on? Of course councils have money from central government - and it's being cut by 28% over the next four years - more than half of which is being cut in year one. This is the whole point - central government is massively cutting its grants to local government making it inevitable that they will have to make large numbers of people redundant and cut services with effect from 1 April.

Yes, do you actually read peoples posts or just rant? You have just repeated what I said, councils are having their mony cut centrally - so what effect does striking against a council have exactly who have no control over that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not just benefit levels that are being cut though - it's the funding that pays staff to process housing benefit meaning that large numbers of them will be thrown on the dole.

There will be people in the public sector who will lose their jobs as part of the spending cuts and anyone who thinks that can be avoided is in cloud cuckoo land.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, do you actually read peoples posts or just rant? You have just repeated what I said, councils are having their mony cut centrally - so what effect does striking against a council have exactly who have no control over that?

Councils still have a lot of decision making around which cuts are made and people will want to fight their corner for their own particular part of the services. They are taking decisions on terms and conditions locally for example that employees may not support - such as wage reductions over and above the pay freeze.

But the whole point of the protest will be the impact on jobs and services - and whilst local councils themselves cannot change the settlement central government can be influenced politically if there is a strong enough feeling about it nationally. These won't be individual local protests - it will be a protest about the cuts nationally, but focussed on their local impact.

That's not especially difficult to understand.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Load of stupid Communists. The only thing they ever think of is their latest pay rises and how to work fewer hours for more money, and if they can ruin a national event (especially anything to do with the Royals) they will gleefully strike.