Options

The Killing - BBC4 Saturday evenings

KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
Forum Member
✭✭✭
New Danish cop show (for those who like Spiral (French), Wallander(Swedish) etc. and who aren't put off by subtitles!)

Looks like double episodes for 10 weeks.

Thought it deserved its own thread, rather than cluttering up the Spiral/Wallander ones!

Must be good as it's being remade for the US!

K

Comments

• Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    New Danish cop show (for those who like Spiral (French), Wallander(Swedish) etc. and who aren't put off by subtitles!)

Looks like double episodes for 10 weeks.

Thought it deserved its own thread, rather than cluttering up the Spiral/Wallander ones!

Must be good as it's being remade for the US!

K

The Killing (Danish = Forbrydelsen = The Crime) has got very good critical reviews and it's even been nominated for an Emmy award so that's another indication of approval.

It's relatively recent and it was first broadcast in 2007 in Denmark when it was shown on 20 successive Sundays. From what I've read so far, it seems like the nearest equivalent is something like 24.

At last, I now have some drama to look forward to and I hope that the series lives up to expectations.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not keen on the double episode approach, are they standalone stories?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure. I suspect it's more like "Murder One" where a single case is followed in detail...

K
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    scotchscotch Posts: 10,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this tomorrow night :D
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catch it before Kenny B casts himself in the role of the hardworking female Danish copper in his own UK remake! He is an acting chameleon - The man of a thousand faces, all of them looking and sounding exactly like him!
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived in Denmark when this was broadcast - 2007-2008, I did notice it in the tv guides - but never got around to watching it. It does see to have a lot of critical acclaim and might well be a slow burner on bbc4.

Danish drama is of a high standard usually - I did watch the whole of Kroniken and many episodes of Anna Pihl.

A taster (in Danish) below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uio7scRL_pM&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Catch it before Kenny B casts himself in the role of the hardworking female Danish copper in his own UK remake! He is an acting chameleon - The man of a thousand faces, all of them looking and sounding exactly like him!
    US remake already in production, so probably too late for KB to get his greasy mitts on it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Killing_%28U.S._TV_series%29
    * Mireille Enos as Sarah Linden, the lead homicide detective
    * Joel Kinnaman as Stephen Holder, a homicide detective
    * Michelle Forbes as Mitch Larsen, Rosie's mother
    * Brent Sexton as Stan Larsen, Rosie's father
    * Billy Campbell as Darren Richmond, politician running for mayor of Seattle
    * Katie Findlay as Rosie Larson

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Been looking fwd to the US remake of this not having been able to see the original. But thanks for the heads up - will definitely be checking out the original version on BBC4 now before I check out the US remake.
  • Options
    The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    Very much looking forward to this. Never had an oppurtunity to watch a Danish tv drama before so i'll take the opportunity to watch this one tomorrow.
    But I have to ask again as I did about The Spiral and both the Swedish versions of Wallander: Why haven't the BBC bothered to advertise 'The Killing' on any of their tv channels or radio stations?! Why buy foreign language imports and then not bother promoting them?!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Turk wrote: »
    Very much looking forward to this. Never had an oppurtunity to watch a Danish tv drama before so i'll take the opportunity to watch this one tomorrow.
    But I have to ask again as I did about The Spiral and both the Swedish versions of Wallander: Why haven't the BBC bothered to advertise 'The Killing' on any of their tv channels or radio stations?! Why buy foreign language imports and then not bother promoting them?!

If they advertised them more then certain sections of the media would kick up a fuss along the lines of "Why is the BBC waisting our licence fee on buying this European rubbish" or in the case of Spiral "Why is the BBC waisting out licence fee helping a French channel to make programmes"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    If they advertised them more then certain sections of the media would kick up a fuss along the lines of "Why is the BBC waisting our licence fee on buying this European rubbish" or in the case of Spiral "Why is the BBC waisting out licence fee helping a French channel to make programmes"

I don’t understand why you think this would be the case for BBC4 - Their raison d’etre is to provide an outlet for arts, culture and documentary from all over the world so no-one would attack them for doing just that and it stands to reason that such a tiny channel does not have the financial resources to make all it’s own programming year round. Quality, bought-in programming and co-produced shows like Spiral satisfy both camps bieng relatively cost-effective and culturally enriching for the viewing audience.

The public and media expectation of BBC4 is that they will continue to provide this type of programming and to attack them for it would be akin to slagging off Sky Arts for showing...err....Arts programming. Yes, I realise one is public money and the other is funded by subscribers and advertisers but the point stands - BBC4 is doing what it should be and long may it continue.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don’t understand why you think this would be the case for BBC4 - Their raison d’etre is to provide an outlet for arts, culture and documentary from all over the world so no-one would attack them for doing just that and it stands to reason that such a tiny channel does not have the financial resources to make all it’s own programming year round. Quality, bought-in programming and co-produced shows like Spiral satisfy both camps bieng relatively cost-effective and culturally enriching for the viewing audience.

The public and media expectation of BBC4 is that they will continue to provide this type of programming and to attack them for it would be akin to slagging off Sky Arts for showing...err....Arts programming. Yes, I realise one is public money and the other is funded by subscribers and advertisers but the point stands - BBC4 is doing what it should be and long may it continue.

That's very true but certain newpapers will take any excuse to attack the BBC whether or not the attack is justified

BBC4 is one of my favourite channels and I always enjoy their bought in non English language shows
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very true but certain newpapers will take any excuse to attack the BBC whether or not the attack is justified

BBC4 is one of my favourite channels and I always enjoy their bought in non English language shows

I know Beeb-bashing is a full-time sport for some of our shitty papers but even rags like The Daily Heil would balk at attacking BBC4 for it’s content. They like their targets soft and obvious and it’s stuff like the Brand/Ross Sachsgate affair that they go to town on rather than things like the tiny sum involved in, say, co-producing Spiral which I daresay many of their readership have watched and enjoyed. It’s middle-England that is Swedish Wallander country in the UK so for those same people and the paper they read to turn against Kurt’s telly home would be somewhat self-defeating.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know Beeb-bashing is a full-time sport for some of our shitty papers but even rags like The Daily Heil would balk at attacking BBC4 for it’s content. They like their targets soft and obvious and it’s stuff like the Brand/Ross Sachsgate affair that they go to town on rather than things like the tiny sum involved in, say, co-producing Spiral which I daresay many of their readership have watched and enjoyed. It’s middle-England that is Swedish Wallander country in the UK so for those same people and the paper they read to turn against Kurt’s telly home would be somewhat self-defeating.

I live on the east coast, does that mean I'm not allowed to watch Swedish Wallander?? ;):D
  • Options
    LadyCakeLadyCake Posts: 3,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking forward to this and because my attention span is pants i'm really pleased they are being shown in double bills:o
    I hope Spiral is repeated one day as cant find it online with subtitles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Times seems to like it!
    Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone, put a few beers in the fridge and book a pizza delivery; you're going nowhere on Saturday nights for the next ten weeks. The Killing is, indeed, thrilling;...

http://www.radiotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=20&channelId=47&programmeName=The%20Killing&startTime=22/01/2011%2021:00&jspLocation=/jsp/prog_details_fullpage.jsp&jspError=/jsp/error.jsp

K
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member

Completely agree.

It's quite sad that in this country, BBC Four is really the only channel that shows foreign language TV shows. It amazes me that some people and politicians want to close the channel down.

I'd love it if BBC Four broadcast at least 1 foreign language drama every night. :p
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This bit I really appreciate:

...a decent, hard-working, not-at-all-maverick (hooray!) senior detective...

:)
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Yeah I noticed this in the listings. Looks quite interesting. So the stories are two parters then?

Well done to BBC 4 for snapping it up. We have to keep BBC 4 at all costs. BBC 3 however I want to see destroyed!!!
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    So the stories are two parters then?

No, all 20 episodes together tell a single story. It is a serial.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With my declining memory I may have to save them all up for one big "watch-in" to have any hope of knowing what's going on :p And I'll have to avoid this thread!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think that's the case as surely the BBC would be equally reluctant to advertise their US imports too.

Spot on. I agree with every word of all that. I find the likes of the DM quite loathsome in their clearly anti-BBC bias but as you say, it would be counter-productive to attack them for this. One more reason I think the Beeb's decision not to promote their non-English language imports has nothing to do with fear of how the press would react is that surely the Beeb's enemies would've already attacked them by now just for buying these programmes. Why would they only start complaining if they get advertised? The conclusion I draw from this is pure puzzlement as to the BBC's motives for keeping imports like this one relatively under-promoted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Let's just forget all that and enjoy the show :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Let's just forget all that and enjoy the show :)
    No! Im on a crusade and I won't give it up until the BBC answer for their crimes.:mad: Nah, just kidding!:D I agree with you on this. The main thing is BBC4 is showing it and at a decent primetime slot, too.:)
This discussion has been closed.