My kitten constantly meow-ing

teagenieteagenie Posts: 146
Forum Member
Can anyone help?
My kitten is 5 months old and demands attention all the time. He loves sitting on someone's knee and can lie for hours.

Problem is, when he isn't being lifted/carried/cuddled he just cries constantly - and I mean constantly!!!!
He has perfected practically a 10 second long very loud cry.

If I'm busy doing housework or whatever I find his loud crying and him following me pretty annoying!

I can't realistically pet my cat 24/7 but I feel guilty when he looks at me and cries.

Will he grow out of it? Can I train him to be less clingy?

Comments

• TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,416
    Forum Member
    I number of cat owners have issues like this and I hope you've got some spare time because I'm going to suggest having a look through all the links here http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=3&gs_ri=psy-ab&cp=13&gs_id=bt&xhr=t&q=needy+kitten+behavior&es_nrs=true&pf=p&tbo=d&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=needy+kitten+&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42553238,d.d2k&fp=938c58edee3526d8&biw=1024&bih=579 to see if any of the cases match your own kitten's behaviour. Good luck! :)
  • teagenieteagenie Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Thank you so much for replying and adding the links. I'll have a look through them just now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a diva!
  • hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    teagenie wrote: »
    Can anyone help?
    My kitten is 5 months old and demands attention all the time. He loves sitting on someone's knee and can lie for hours.

Problem is, when he isn't being lifted/carried/cuddled he just cries constantly - and I mean constantly!!!!
    He has perfected practically a 10 second long very loud cry.

If I'm busy doing housework or whatever I find his loud crying and him following me pretty annoying!

I can't realistically pet my cat 24/7 but I feel guilty when he looks at me and cries.

Will he grow out of it? Can I train him to be less clingy?

Just stop lifting/carrying/cuddling him.
    Let him be a cat.
    If he doesnt get attention 24/7 he'll need to fend for himself and stop crying.
    Out of curiosity...is he a moggy or a breed.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps your cat is talking to you. If it is a moggie, chances are it might have some Burmese traits. My part Burmese chats all the time. At first when she cried/meawed I thought she wanted attention, but now it turns out she was chatting to me. When I am at home she chats and follows me. Cats with some Burmese or even fully fledged Burmese cats make lovely pets. They seem to have a lot of doggy traits. Mine even retreats things.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Some cats will be vocal and just have a chat. Cats make a lot of different noises which mean different things.

They tend to chirrup when they want to know where you are.

I would get a ball of paper and throw it down the stairs. That kept her amused for hours.