Options

Tips to gain weight

2»

Comments

• Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was on a weight-gaining meal plan, it was along the lines of this, for around 2,700kcal a day:

Double breakfast: Cereal (a cup full or around 40g, depending on cereal) + 150ml milk, 2x toast + butter/marg + e.g. jam or peanut butter, and a fruit portion (fruit juice, fruit salad, fruit on cereal, whatever)

Morning snack (300kcal): Usually 300ml of a milky drink (or Ribena) and a 150-200kcal food snack, e.g. a Nutrigrain bar, 3 biscuits, a chocolate bar etc (or a 'double snack' - i.e. 300-400kcal snack e.g. a slice of cake, a pastry, a bigger chocolate bar, etc etc). If you don't have much time it doesn't matter, it can be something quick that you just have on you, or a quick snack as you work.

Lunch (400-500kcal): Typical lunch things really - sandwich/wrap/pittas with butter/marg, fillings and salad, jacket potato and salad, 2x toast with butter/marg and beans.
    Light pudding: 150-200kcal - yoghurt, ice cream, rice pudding pots, fruit & custard, etc (or just a bigger lunch instead and combining the two, so e.g. 650-700kcal lunch)

Afternoon snack (300kcal): Same kinda things as morning

Dinner (500-600kcal): Usual types of things - pasta-based meals, curry, stir-fry, meat/potatoes/vegetables, jacket potatoes + two fillings, stroganoff, etc, etc, etc. Things like cheese are good for adding calories, and things like nuts and pulses are great to be able to add to meals for that too

Main pudding (300-350ish kcal) - we had to have this every day, although as I said, I was on 2,700kcal to gain weight [in an EDU for anorexia treatment]. Even without main pudding that's still around 2,400 then, so if you don't have much time this is probably the easiest thing to not bother with!) - anything though like apple pie, crumbles, lemon meringue pie, sponge & custard, cheesecake, etc, etc.

Night snack (300kcal): Same types of things as morning/afternoon snacks

That's just a basic meal plan given by our dietitian, obviously the amounts can be changed, but I hope that's a little bit helpful anyway. :)

Night snack:
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Start eating Indian and Chinese takeaways. You'll soon pile the weight on!
  • Options
    Dreamer27Dreamer27 Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    Unless you are unhealthily thin (i.e. eating disorder) then I'd just enjoy what you are, many people will really envy you. If you feel you must gain weight then at least eat more healthy calories rather than junk food and use weights to build up muscle rather than fat but be very careful what you wish for.

Yeah I guess learning to accept my 'petiteness' would be step number one. I'm definitely aware of what i'm eating to gain, i've started keeping a food diary which helps me balance up the good and the junk.
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    What sort of job do you do, are you a vegetarian?

Nope not a vegetarian and I work in a kennels and cattery.
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    When I was on a weight-gaining meal plan, it was along the lines of this, for around 2,700kcal a day:

Double breakfast: Cereal (a cup full or around 40g, depending on cereal) + 150ml milk, 2x toast + butter/marg + e.g. jam or peanut butter, and a fruit portion (fruit juice, fruit salad, fruit on cereal, whatever)

Morning snack (300kcal): Usually 300ml of a milky drink (or Ribena) and a 150-200kcal food snack, e.g. a Nutrigrain bar, 3 biscuits, a chocolate bar etc (or a 'double snack' - i.e. 300-400kcal snack e.g. a slice of cake, a pastry, a bigger chocolate bar, etc etc). If you don't have much time it doesn't matter, it can be something quick that you just have on you, or a quick snack as you work.

Lunch (400-500kcal): Typical lunch things really - sandwich/wrap/pittas with butter/marg, fillings and salad, jacket potato and salad, 2x toast with butter/marg and beans.
    Light pudding: 150-200kcal - yoghurt, ice cream, rice pudding pots, fruit & custard, etc (or just a bigger lunch instead and combining the two, so e.g. 650-700kcal lunch)

Dinner (500-600kcal): Usual types of things - pasta-based meals, curry, stir-fry, meat/potatoes/vegetables, jacket potatoes + two fillings, stroganoff, etc, etc, etc. Things like cheese are good for adding calories, and things like nuts and pulses are great to be able to add to meals for that too

Main pudding (300-350ish kcal) - we had to have this every day, although as I said, I was on 2,700kcal to gain weight [in an EDU for anorexia treatment]. Even without main pudding that's still around 2,400 then, so if you don't have much time this is probably the easiest thing to not bother with!) - anything though like apple pie, crumbles, lemon meringue pie, sponge & custard, cheesecake, etc, etc.

That's just a basic meal plan given by our dietitian, obviously the amounts can be changed, but I hope that's a little bit helpful anyway. :)

Night snack:

This was really helpful thank you. I'm going to start on the mid morning snack by stashing food at work!

I think my food bill is going to go on the rise this month
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Erm, gaining weight is simple for anyone - you just have to be consistent and make sure you are eating waaaay over your maintenance level of calories each day, which should be around 1500 - 2000 cals a day for women. Eating about 3000 - 3500 cals a day will definitely ensure this.

If you're doing exercise aswell, then even higher....

Drinks are an easy way to get in extra calories - a Frijj milkshake has nearly 500 cals per bottle and a whopping 60 grams of sugar. 2 of these a day will add an extra 1000 cals along with your daily food intake. Perfect for weight gain.
  • Options
    CarrieBradshawCarrieBradshaw Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    Smithy1204 wrote: »

This is really helpful - thanks so much for posting! :)
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Peanut butter and nutella sandwiches (white bread and proper butter).

Was a phase I was going through but the weight dropped off as soon as I stopped eating them!

Add a few sliced bananas and you've got a bit of an Elvis vibe going on (and you can kid yourself its still sort of healthy).

Honestly, you can almost feel the weight going on as you eat one!