Orchid flowers falling off!

Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My new little orchid is not happy, all the flowers are falling off. Any tips? :(

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long has it been in flower ? is it watered with cooled boiled water ? does it have enough light ? how often is it watered (most need a 2 weekly water at most).
  • Lamin_AtorLamin_Ator Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was in flower when I got it about three weeks ago. I just spray it with water from the tap, it was looking wilted so I have been spraying it more. Its by the window but i don't always have the blinds open.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your orchid should have come with a label explaining how to look after it. One of mine needs watering twice a week. It actually says on the label not to let it dry out. The other one only needs infrequent watering, but the flowers should be sprayed. Both like sunlight but hate being in a draught.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, there wasn't a label so have been looking on the internet but I don't know what variety of orchid it is, it's only small and it has a very small pot with hardly any material in there just a bundle of roots and a few pieces of bark
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looked on the internet again and its confusing, either too much or too little water, too much light or not enough light, too hot or too cold, changes in temperature, humidity, etc, etc.
    How can anyone keep them going? I think it just doesn't like it here.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have given up buying orchids as I never seem to keep them going past the flowering it has when I buy them. I know plenty of other people that say they never do anything to theirs they don't even water them very often and they seem to be doing really well. I don't know why I can't keep them alive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apparently they go into shock when they come to you. Perhaps I will leave it alone and hope it recovers
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband has many they flower every year, if you buy one in full flower (best to buy one with some buds waiting to come out) then you have no idea how long they have been flowering, so it may have just come to the end of the flowering season. They don't need a lot of material to grow in, he has grown some strapped to wood bark which did very well. He mostly grows the Phalaenopsis type as they do best in our living room and bathroom. Always uses cooled boiled water preferably water used to boil eggs. Waters every other weekend, thorough water of the roots then drain, and sprays the leaves twice a week. Feeds them every 4 months.

He has one that has been flowering for 8 months and another over a year. You just have to get the care right for your plant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I have given up buying orchids as I never seem to keep them going past the flowering it has when I buy them. I know plenty of other people that say they never do anything to theirs they don't even water them very often and they seem to be doing really well. I don't know why I can't keep them alive.

When they finish flowering they like a cooler less bright area to rest for a few months. When the new flower spikes start coming up you can then move them to where you want them to flower.