When actors change to someone else during a scene?

Comments

• donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a movie called Plan 9 From Outer Space, which is widely regarded as the worst movie ever made. If you ever get the chance to see it you must. It is so bad it is brilliant, its obtained cult status.

Anyway, it was Bela Lugosi's last movie and he died halfway through it. The director replaced him with his wife's chiropractor who was about a foot taller and looked absolutely nothing like him.

Was that the one mentioned in Seinfeld?
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    donovan5 wrote: »
    Was that the one mentioned in Seinfeld?

No idea to be honest.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is a movie called Plan 9 From Outer Space, which is widely regarded as the worst movie ever made. If you ever get the chance to see it you must. It is so bad it is brilliant, its obtained cult status.

Anyway, it was Bela Lugosi's last movie and he died halfway through it. The director replaced him with his wife's chiropractor who was about a foot taller and looked absolutely nothing like him.

I remember that It was shown on TV (Channel 4 I think) many years ago during a series by Johnathan Ross called 'The Killer B's'
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember that It was shown on TV (Channel 4 I think) many years ago during a series by Johnathan Ross called 'The Killer B's'

That's right :)
  • runfor yourliferunfor yourlife Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    In Rosanne the part of Becky was played by one actress for 5 seasons and another for 2. Then the actresses alternated for a season (which became a running joke) I believe there was at least one episode in which they both appeared. Then in the last season the original actress did the whole season and the previous running joke and Becky was forgotten
  • JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    It always amused me when Victoria in Emmerdale was recast.

She had just gone through the story line where Robert & Katie were having an affair & she'd been frightened into keeping quiet, struck dumb in fact.

When the story line was resolved, she was shipped off to Annie in Spain & came back as the current gobby version!
    And having changed from redhead to brunette.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lucy in neighbours (back in the 80s) fell down a grating and woke up as a different actress i think
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,622
    Forum Member
    What about when Del and Rodney took Grandad to the funeral but came back with Uncle Albert?
  • Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    What about when Del and Rodney took Grandad to the funeral but came back with Uncle Albert?

Taking misunderstanding the opening post to a whole new level, folks...
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    I know what the OP means.
    Years ago there was an episode of the original Crossroads where the continuity announcer said something like 'Tonight the role of Valerie Pollard will be played by Wendy Williams' and the character of 'Valerie' continued for a few weeks with a different actress wearing the same clothes and interacting with all the members of her family etc and then after a few weeks the original actress was back! I think Heather Chasen was sick and hurriedly replaced as it was a big storyline!
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revolve wrote: »
    Lisa Mullins in Prisoner Cell Block H put her head in the sink to dye her hair and emerged a completely different actress seconds later.

The original actress in the role fell seriously ill with glandular fever after just a couple of episodes so the part has to be quickly recast
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucy in neighbours (back in the 80s) fell down a grating and woke up as a different actress i think

Weren't there about 3 or 4 different Lucies in Neighbours?

Lou's wife Cheryl Stark was also played temporarily by the actress who played long-running Prisoner character Doreen while the 'real Cheryl' was sick in real life. Nobody noticed the change in voice or mannerisms of course...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    I know what the OP means.
    Years ago there was an episode of the original Crossroads where the continuity announcer said something like 'Tonight the role of Valerie Pollard will be played by Wendy Williams' and the character of 'Valerie' continued for a few weeks with a different actress wearing the same clothes and interacting with all the members of her family etc and then after a few weeks the original actress was back! I think Heather Chasen was sick and hurriedly replaced as it was a big storyline!

I never knew that about Valerie in Crossroads!

Heather Chasen played the superbitch perfectly
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the most famous head change in Aussie soaps would be Scott Robinson...
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I never knew that about Valerie in Crossroads!

Heather Chasen played the superbitch perfectly

Thought that was a different character.

Thinking about it, I thought it was Kevin Banks's mother that changed actress, but it's been quite a few years since I saw Crossroads mark one!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thinking about it, I thought it was Kevin Banks's mother that changed actress, but it's been quite a few years since I saw Crossroads mark one!

Yes! That's it! It was Kevin Banks' snooty mother that was replaced!

Could there ever, ever have been another Valerie Pollard? Almost as unthinkable as recasting the legendary Meg or Jill :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hasn't there been 3 Nick Tilsleys in Coronation Street (at least) since the early 1980s?
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Hasn't there been 3 Nick Tilsleys in Coronation Street (at least) since the early 1980s?

There was an article in one of yesterday's newspapers about this, highlighting some of the characters who have been played by different actors. Can't recall which paper though as I was just browsing in the supermarket.
  • shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member

You're right - it was all a long time ago but around the same period! I knew she was posh and snooty and in my head it was Valerie!
    I also have a memory that a similar thing happened with Rosemary Hunter but I may be misremembering that one too!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shanders wrote: »
    You're right - it was all a long time ago but around the same period! I knew she was posh and snooty and in my head it was Valerie!
    I also have a memory that a similar thing happened with Rosemary Hunter but I may be :)misremembering that one too!

Wendy Williams is almost 80 now & still with us!

I don't remember nutty Rosemary being played by another actress, but David's equally nutty son Chris was played by 2 different actors :)
  • Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always remember Donna Windsor in Emmerdale who, from her debut, had this Mockney accent for ages, and then suddenly dropped it overnight and went to her normal Yorkshire accent, and no-one in the village seemed to notice.
  • pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American Soaps have this revolving door thing - not so much a change of person by scene but often if an actor leaves and they recast within a few episodes you see the change. Sometimes the original actor comes back.

Also on a slightly different subject but SORAS used on soaps (as well as a recast - not so much used here) but in the likes of America to help their storylines in the soaps in such as the Bold and the Beautiful where kids are born in late 90's - early 2000's disappear for a year then come back as 16 year olds in past couple of years!

One odd example being in B&B Brooke Logan has a daughter born in 2002 and a son in 2004 - the son is naturally same age as of 2014, however the daughter was SORAS'ed to 18 a couple of years ago.
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    There was the character of Selina Cooke in Home and Away played by Tempenny Deckert
    My memory is sketchy but she was replaced by Louise Crawford literally half way through the week in a big storyline
    It was due to illness (for some reason burst appendix or similar comes to mind )
    She was Ill for the best part of a year and then came back only to leave a few months after
    Went to the states I believe ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the re-runs of the classic sitcom French Fields earlier this year, in the final 1991 series both Hester & William fail to notice both their own daughter and the Mayor Monsieur Dax are now different people :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    There was the character of Selina Cooke in Home and Away played by Tempenny Deckert
    My memory is sketchy but she was replaced by Louise Crawford literally half way through the week in a big storyline
    It was due to illness (for some reason burst appendix or similar comes to mind )
    She was Ill for the best part of a year and then came back only to leave a few months after
    Went to the states I believe ...

Blimey! Wouldn't it have been easier to have just had her 'gone to the diner' or 'out playing with Sally' for a few weeks?!? ;-)