Options

Why Is The Commonwealth Games Taking Over Bbc1?

Comments

• Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Exactly what the Beeb should be doing, good public service broadcasting

I agree
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    No the next olympics will air at about 5pm as the times will be the same as the kick off times for the world cup I would have thought.
    The Olympics is an all-day event.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    The Olympics is an all-day event.

No i mean it will start at about 5 till late but a lot of the action will be at prime time uk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No i mean it will start at about 5 till late
    No it won't. 5pm BST is 1pm BRT. By that time, there's probably been 5-6 hours of action.

Live coverage in the UK will probably start around noon.
    but a lot of the action will be at prime time uk
    Well, yes, but not the marquee events.

The 100m final, for instance, will probably be at midnight/1am (8pm/9pm local time).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No it won't. 5pm BST is 1pm BRT. By that time, there's probably been 5-6 hours of action.

Live coverage in the UK will probably start around noon.

Even better. I was only going with the times from the world cup
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even better. I was only going with the times from the world cup
    Which is a stupid comparison.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its on BBC3 all day until 22:00 too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which is a stupid comparison.

How both events were held in Brazil
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another point is that this may be the last major sporting event the UK hosts for a least a generation

Cricket world cup gets nearly a billion people watching. Especially if india are doing well! Last years ICC Champions trophy ( a smaller version of the world cup) had its final watched by more people that the FIFA world cup final!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cricket world cup gets nearly a billion people watching. Especially if india are doing well! Last years ICC Champions trophy ( a smaller version of the world cup) had its final watched by more people that the FIFA world cup final!

I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday
  • Options
    MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    Actually if Brazil arent ready in time there is a rumour that it may be in London again. If that happens BBC 1 will be olympics all day long.

That will annoy u wont it. Personnally I think the Olympics was the best thing to happen to the Uk for years and I do hope that if Rio goes belly up it comes back

There is zero chance of it being in London. It might be close to the wire but it will be in Rio.

We have pulled down or downsized most of the facilities we used, the Olympic stadium is being redeveloped and the village has been rented out or sold off for housing. We couldn't re host it even if we wanted. Let alone the cost!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How both events were held in Brazil
    Which is where the comparison stops.

Football is a sport traditionally played in the afternoon and evening, so games weren't kicking off until 1pm local time. The Olympics has sport starting as early as 8am.

Using your logic, the London Olympics wouldn't have had any sport until lunchtime, which is when football starts being played.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    There is zero chance of it being in London. It might be close to the wire but it will be in Rio.

We have pulled down or downsized most of the facilities we used, the Olympic stadium is being redeveloped and the village has been rented out or sold off for housing. We couldn't re host it even if we wanted. Let alone the cost!
    There's something in the British psych that if an even isn't being held here, then the infrastructure required absolutely won't be ready in time and the whole thing will be a disaster.

I can't remember the last time there wasn't scare stories about venues not being ready in the build-up to a major sporting event (except London 2012).
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,098
    Forum Member
    Not sure why anyone is complaining or why anyone is surprised at blanket BBC1 coverage. Everyone has remotes, use them. If your programme isn't being shown on BBC1/2/3/4 during the Commonwealth Games, so be it, you'll just have to be mature, sensible, cope with it, and watch something else. If you can't cope, go see your doctor ASAP.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Not sure why anyone is complaining or why anyone is surprised at blanket BBC1 coverage. Everyone has remotes, use them. If your programme isn't being shown on BBC1/2/3/4 during the Commonwealth Games, so be it, you'll just have to be mature, sensible, cope with it, and watch something else. If you can't cope, go see your doctor ASAP.
    I could not agree more
  • Options
    ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    The proof of that is where?

And I might be wrong, but the CG comprise of a few more sports than simply athletics.

You're right, of course. It does contain more sports. But the athletics are the "main events" I would say.

Also, yeah, I have no proof at all. it just seems that way. maybe because of the media concentrating on it. Do we have any viewing figures pre and post london 2012?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ElMarko wrote: »
    You're right, of course. It does contain more sports. But the athletics are the "main events" I would say.
    And should the BBC be concentrating on the ratings winners, or offering wherever possible, a well-rounded service across the CG events?
    Also, yeah, I have no proof at all. it just seems that way. maybe because of the media concentrating on it. Do we have any viewing figures pre and post london 2012?
    They are probably on the BARB site somewhere
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not bothered about blanket coverage as i hardly watch bbc 1 anyway but its a bit odd they didn't shove it all onto bbc 2. Would be the exact same coverage but without people moaning they have to change the channel number by 1 digit!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    But why this one? As I said in my first post I am sure the Manchester games in 2002 didnt get this much coverage.

No they did not. Call me paranoid but I'm convinced that the Scottish referendum has a great deal to do with this. The BBC in Glasgow have been going overboard when it comes to 'Britishness' and a big show like this might be a way of trying to show the people of Scotland that the BBC (that is the 'British' Broadcasting Corporation) cares for them as many would have felt neglected in the past. Anyway just what I thought although who knows :confused:
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another point is that this may be the last major sporting event the UK hosts for a least a generation

I take it you don't consider next year's Rugby World Cup (held in England and Wales) a "major sporting event".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbtwln10 wrote: »
    No they did not. Call me paranoid but I'm convinced that the Scottish referendum has a great deal to do with this. The BBC in Glasgow have been going overboard when it comes to 'Britishness' and a big show like this might be a way of trying to show the people of Scotland that the BBC (that is the 'British' Broadcasting Corporation) cares for them as many would have felt neglected in the past. Anyway just what I thought although who knows :confused:
    No .
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbtwln10 wrote: »

Is the general increase in television not a factor? More channels, easier access to more circuits from the venue, more use of Red Button and website?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    I take it you don't consider next year's Rugby World Cup (held in England and Wales) a "major sporting event".

I do think RWC is a major event but it is only one sport
  • Options
    Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Examples of 2002 scheduling

10 hours on BBC1 http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-936.html
    8 hours on BBC2 http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-937.html

Examples of 1986 Scheduling

10 hours on BBC2 http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-1140.html
    1 hour on BBC2 (but they were showing cricket) http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/listing-1141.html

So pretty comprehensive back then too.

If I recall correctly, 2002 was one of the first instances of red button coverage?
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bothered about blanket coverage as i hardly watch bbc 1 anyway but its a bit odd they didn't shove it all onto bbc 2. Would be the exact same coverage but without people moaning they have to change the channel number by 1 digit!!

If they had planned to use BBC 2, then what would happen is when a British athlete or team was playing an event it would still end up on BBC 1, so people would complain that schedules have changed!
    This way they wount be changing anything around, they will just schedule British teams/athletes to be shown on BBC 1 and the next popular thing on BBC 3 with other things on BBC RB 0/HD/301, then BBC RB RB 2/302, then BBC RB 3 and so on till BBC RB 5 with all events being shown on the 17 online streams.
    BBC 2, BBC 4, CBBC, Cbeebies and BBC Parliament will show all non Commonwealth Games stuff and BBC News will mainly be free of it except for sports reports, also all other non BBC channels!
    So the only two channels with actual blanket coverage are BBC 1 and BBC 3 as red button streams arent considered channels.