Three Euro pass

2»

Comments

• Options
    culabulaculabula Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    amh15 wrote: »
    I have just used it for a week in Amsterdam in my Galaxy Nexus. Several times a day it would accuse me of tethering and cut me off, requiring a few minutes of fiddling to make it work again.

Quite annoying, and on one day I didn't even bother paying for it.

My error message is here: https://plus.google.com/photos/100733252093874625189/albums/5829577801553202161?authkey=CIayhMPr0KarhgE

Quite annoying? It's contrary to T&Cs, so whether or not we agree with that, them is, after all, the breaks. In the circumstances, it's rather decent of them to warn you rather than fleece you for breaking the rules.
  • Options
    culabulaculabula Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have just used it for a week in Amsterdam in my Galaxy Nexus. Several times a day it would accuse me of tethering and cut me off, requiring a few minutes of fiddling to make it work again.

Quite annoying, and on one day I didn't even bother paying for it.

My error message is here: https://plus.google.com/photos/100733252093874625189/albums/5829577801553202161?authkey=CIayhMPr0KarhgE

I beg pardon....you're saying it's accusing you of tethering when in fact you weren't? My error.

That's outrageous.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    culabula wrote: »
    Quite annoying? It's contrary to T&Cs, so whether or not we agree with that, them is, after all, the breaks. In the circumstances, it's rather decent of them to warn you rather than fleece you for breaking the rules.

Yes but in this case he says he implies he wasn't tethering. So its weird how it would accuse him of something he hasn't done.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Yes but in this case he says he implies he wasn't tethering. So its weird how it would accuse him of something he hasn't done.

To be fair, he didn't actually say that he wasn't tethering.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have zooper widgets installed? That has a faulty user agent string in it which causes it. If not that then it'll be another application what had the incorrect user agent headers for the device.

This is always caused by a faulty / very badly written app or widget.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    To be fair, he didn't actually say that he wasn't tethering.

Well he says he was accused of tethering and then he posted a screenshot from his phone. Not from a PC Seems the evidence is there.

And like Thine Wonk said it can be caused by an app. But seeing as it only happened abroad for him then Three really need to test if something on the abroad network is causing it to throw up a tethering block.
  • Options
    grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used it a couple of days on my iPhone whilst on holiday and it worked great. Fast speeds, reliable signal. Really good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Sorry for the slow response. As some of you correctly inferred from my screenshot, I was in fact NOT tethering. Billing of foreign data is not something you want to mess with and I completely followed the rules. No hotspot use, no USB tethering. I ever only managed to go 2-3 hours at a time before it would stop working.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry for the slow response. As some of you correctly inferred from my screenshot, I was in fact NOT tethering. Billing of foreign data is not something you want to mess with and I completely followed the rules. No hotspot use, no USB tethering. I ever only managed to go 2-3 hours at a time before it would stop working.

Yes but as explained it's usually caused by a faulty application on your phone sending http requests with the wrong header / announcing itself incorrectly.

Zooper widgets and others are known to cause this, so it's likely a faulty widget or app. Just disable some of them and then you'd find out which one is causing it.

Unfortunately it wasn't enough to trust people not to tether on an agreement with no tethering as loads of people broke the rules and used 80 gigs+, obviously they have to put protection in place on international roaming to make sure you aren't tethering.

As stated previously as others aren't having the issue it'll likely be a faulty app you have installed reporting that it's a desktop user agent, which is absolutely not what mobile apps should do. Once you find out which one I'd let people know in the play store or email the developer as loads of people did with zooper widgets.
  • Options
    rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone post any speed test results on using the Euro Internet Pass please?

Thank you :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Can anyone post any speed test results on using the Euro Internet Pass please?

Thank you :-)

The speed will depend on where you are and which local service you're connected to. What country, location, and service provider do you expect to connect to?
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Bear in mind that was on an iPhone 4, so the speeds weren't going to be amazing.

I scarcely think iPhone 4 performance would be a limiting factor on a speed test of a cellular connection
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What Three plans can the Euro Pass be used with ? I have a PAYG SIM in a Nexus 4, but also a data only 30 day 15GB contract on an iPad SIM - would either of these qualify ?
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    I scarcely think iPhone 4 performance would be a limiting factor on a speed test of a cellular connection

The iPhone 4 has only got HSPA upto 7.2Mb theoretical so the speed wouldn't be as fast as on a phone capable of HSPA+ 21Mb let alone on a DC-HSPA capable phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What Three plans can the Euro Pass be used with ? I have a PAYG SIM in a Nexus 4, but also a data only 30 day 15GB contract on an iPad SIM - would either of these qualify ?

The Euro Pass is only available on a monthly contract and you need SMS for them to send you notifications, so it's for monthly contract phones only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The iPhone 4 has only got HSPA upto 7.2Mb theoretical so the speed wouldn't be as fast as on a phone capable of HSPA+ 21Mb let alone on a DC-HSPA capable phone.

Fair enough, I wasn't thinking straight
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Euro Pass is only available on a monthly contract and you need SMS for them to send you notifications, so it's for monthly contract phones only.

Thanks
  • Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although you are not allowed to tether, and they check, could I get away with enabling the personal hotspot on my iphone and allowing the wife's android phone to use this?

Or would it cause a problem with both iPhone and Android headers being sent from the same connection?
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The speed will depend on where you are and which local service you're connected to. What country, location, and service provider do you expect to connect to?

Besides the usual factors, which influence the speed, is it e.g. obvious that they throttle the speed, maybe some kind of speed cap in place? And is there a fair usage policy?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Besides the usual factors, which influence the speed, is it e.g. obvious that they throttle the speed, maybe some kind of speed cap in place? And is there a fair usage policy?

Speed: again, you're not using Three's network, you're roaming on to whichever network is the roaming partner for that particular country/area, so this is really a how long is a piece of string question. Three very clearly state that this is meant to be used for browsing on your device. They don't guarantee you speeds that would allow streaming of video. That said, I had usable speed for watching YouTube videos.

For usage, no, not that I'm aware. Three bill it as unlimited and I never found otherwise.
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »

To be clear, that's exactly what I was saying.
  • Options
    denyo1977denyo1977 Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I was in the Netherlands yesterday and am in Germany right now. And I have to say I'd rather stick to a local SIM again in future.
    On a few very rare occasions I managed speeds up to about 2.8mbps, which would be more than enough. But even then things like TuneIn Radio didn't work at all (didn't connect), neither did YouTube.
    Most of the time the speeds I achieved were a lot lower.
    If more countries will be part of Three like home, it might become an alternative again, but for me personally not if I have to pay £5 a day.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Or maybe the opposite?
  • Options
    rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    denyo1977 wrote: »
    Well, I was in the Netherlands yesterday and am in Germany right now. And I have to say I'd rather stick to a local SIM again in future.
    On a few very rare occasions I managed speeds up to about 2.8mbps, which would be more than enough. But even then things like TuneIn Radio didn't work at all (didn't connect), neither did YouTube.
    Most of the time the speeds I achieved were a lot lower.
    If more countries will be part of Three like home, it might become an alternative again, but for me personally not if I have to pay £5 a day.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Or maybe the opposite?

Hi, What I usually do if I buy the euro internet pass is purchase it and then create a new APN in my phone called "3internet" this is what mobile broadband customers use I believe, i did notice an increase in speeds but again variable according to the network, just dont forget to change it back to the default apn "three.co.uk" to access anything on planet3 or the euro internet pass page.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    Hi, What I usually do if I buy the euro internet pass is purchase it and then create a new APN in my phone called "3internet" this is what mobile broadband customers use I believe, i did notice an increase in speeds but again variable according to the network, just dont forget to change it back to the default apn "three.co.uk" to access anything on planet3 or the euro internet pass page.

You may be putting your phone at more risk potentially by doing this. When you change the APN to '3internet' you get a public IP address exposed to the internet with no NAT. Any servers or services running on your phone, and any attempted IP based hacks would have more chance of success.

Depending on your phone and what apps you have there is a potential (if extremely rarely exploited) risk. I know I'd prefer my phone to be behind a NAT router and only given a private IP from my operator.