Options

Modern Family - Favourite/Least Favourite Characters?

2»

Comments

• Options
    MK184MK184 Posts: 1,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dunphy clan grate on me.
    Phil has his moments but the magician/trampoline/cheer leading stuff is tiring at times.
    Claire's jealousy of Gloria would be more believable if she was a frumpy house wife but she's actually hot herself. I enjoy her interactions with Mitchell.
    Haley is a smug cow and Alex ... well "Shut up Meg" is all that needs to be said there.
    Luke was a non character until the latest series i think he's kinda coming into his own there .
    Gloria and Lily and Jay are my faves I think.
    I feel the male characters have more development and depth than the females.

I agree completely about Phil. He is funny, but I just can't warm to him as a character.
    Alex seemed to change quite quickly; in series one all she seemed to care was grades and school work, yet in series two she suddenly got a boyfriend, and in series three began dating the boy Claire thought was gay. I like the relationship between Haley and Alex though.
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know whether it is just the actor growing up so not looking young but I am not liking Luke as much as I did before, when he does some dumb things, it doesn't feel as believable IMHO.
  • Options
    endersandoaksendersandoaks Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    I do wish that Pepper was used more, that character cracks me up, so does Dede, wouldn't want her as a regular character but in more than one episode per series just to see more of her, Claire and Mitch
  • Options
    Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Manny...I cannot stand him.

My favorite is Lily. She's such a little scene stealer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The best thing that has happened is the recast of Lily. The new Lily is great, because she is so young she plays the part so blooming well!!!!! Loving her
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The best thing that has happened is the recast of Lily. The new Lily is great, because she is so young she plays the part so blooming well!!!!! Loving her

The new Lily? Have they recast her part?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Series 1 & 2 was a baby, played by twins, then series 3, the producers of the programme realised she needed to grow up and talk etc,so they changed from twin babies tousy 1 young girl dou the part. Best thing they did!
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Series 1 & 2 was a baby, played by twins, then series 3, the producers of the programme realised she needed to grow up and talk etc,so they changed from twin babies tousy 1 young girl dou the part. Best thing they did!

Oh I thought you meant they recast the current actress.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Released that after I put my other post lol.

Hope they never change her, her vague looks into space as she says her one liners are ace
  • Options
    lucy777lucy777 Posts: 2,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MK184 wrote: »
    I cannot bare Phil's Dad.
    I don't know what there is about him, but he just annoys me.

I love Mitch and Claire's Mum, DeDe, and Sal is hilarious, wish she was in it a bit more.

:o I really like all the characters but especially Phil's Dad - perfect casting.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Favourites: Cam and Lily.

Least Favourite: Mani. Just don't find him funny.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cam - Eric Stonestreet - straight man playing the "overly" camp guy so well. When this programme first started I googled him to see if he was straight or gay because of his OTT portrayal.
  • Options
    Callum_BrownCallum_Brown Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A ranking would be:

1. Phil
    2. Gloria
    3. Claire
    4. Cam
    5. Lily
    6. Jay
    7. Mitch
    8. Haley
    9. Manny
    10. Alex
    11. Luke

But I don't dislike any of them.
  • Options
    looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like all of them, but if I had to pick one who was dispensable, I would say Luke. I think the character is probably necessary, but it doesn't add too much to the comedy and could be played by any actor - the actor doesn't bring anything special to the role. Unlike Lily, who is fabulous. It is not just the lines, but it is the way she delivers them.

It's difficult to say a favourite character, but favourite family is Mitch, Cam & Lily, but I also love Jay.
  • Options
    LeeleeSTARLeeleeSTAR Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't dislike any of the main cast. Think they are all great. Phil is the stand out character of the show.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm also another who changes every week, they all have such great lines.

But least would probably be Claire and maybe Alex? There doesn't seem to be growth from Alex really. I'm not a big fan of Jay to be fair.

Favourite would go from Phil and Luke (early seasons), Hayley (she may came across to her family as the same, but she is certainly becoming more caring), Gloria and Lily. I really like Lily, she has some great lines and delivers them hilariously considering her age!! Scene stealer for sure.

I agree with young Luke, I loved when he did stupid things when he was younger, bumping into everything, asking silly questions, obviously now he is older and growing up, he doesn't have that about him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    Favourites: Cam and Lily.

Least Favourite: Mani. Just don't find him funny.

I kind of agree regarding Manny. I don't dislike him; he can be amusing and does have some good lines, but his behaviour can be a little OTT and exaggerated at times.
    I know that's part of his character, but it can become annoying after a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Ranking:

1. Claire
    2. Jay
    3. Mitch
    4. Cam
    5. Gloria
    6. Lily
    7. Haley
    8. Alex
    9. Luke
    10. Manny
    11. Phil
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that Mani is the least believable and likeable character for me. His mother is a hard grafting, parentally dismissed woman who is not a trophy wife, his father was an absentee conman, his stepdad is a man's man unless his best friend is leaving for another country, but somehow he is a over sensitive, metrosexual and borderline feminine overfed, shockingly intelligent and completely awkward caricature who patronises everyone. Alex and Haley's relationship and the differences between them are familiar to me and more common that you'd think, Phil's desire to impress his father in law... I get that. Cam as the b*tch who pretends to be butch, Mitch as the softie who has to stand his ground when push comes to shove... I know people like that. Luke was his father's son who is now trying to be his own man. I understand that maturation and separation process. Lily as the increasingly self aware square peg... not as believable but kids grow up much faster these days.

Mani is just a running joke without any justification or substance.
  • Options
    LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,395
    Forum Member
    I tried watching Modern Family a few times just couldnt get the hang of it. I watched it mostly for Ed ONeil loved Al Bundy :D

Then one night I turned it on it was about 10 mins from the end and Mitchel and Cam were in the mall and then this crowd started a flash mob and Mitchell joined in just for Cam....loved it ever since.

Dont think there is anyone in it who annoys me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the series has progressed I've found myself gradually going off Manny. His character can become irritating after a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Dunphy's are probably my favourite individual family because they are a very believable and life-like family. I love the Haley/Alex relationship; Luke and Phil likewise and Claire is my favourite character.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I suppose the thing with Mani is he is meant to counter Jay. But this does not make sense really as Jay has "been through" all of that with Mithcell.. Except we assume Mani is straight and he is the way is he is from being over mothered by Gloria ?
    I don't know.

I don't like the Alex/Haley stuff, the smug bitchery was only tolerable when then we were young teenagers and then they reached a stage around the time when Haley was to go to college where they were both growing up and copping on a bit. Then in the last serious they just regressed again. Haley is meant to be an adult no?
    It's serious "Daria" Territory IMO , you can be pretty and popular but thick as pig shit and only destined to be married off and pop out kids or you can be ugly and awkward but clever and successful.
    One episode Alex looks pretty or has an admirer , a few episodes later she's socially hideous again. Haley is hopeless but then she can point camera so she's wonderful ?
    Eh?
    I dunno. Don't think they are good characters really
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose the thing with Mani is he is meant to counter Jay. But this does not make sense really as Jay has "been through" all of that with Mithcell.. Except we assume Mani is straight and he is the way is he is from being over mothered by Gloria ?
    I don't know.

I don't like the Alex/Haley stuff, the smug bitchery was only tolerable when then we were young teenagers and then they reached a stage around the time when Haley was to go to college where they were both growing up and copping on a bit. Then in the last serious they just regressed again. Haley is meant to be an adult no?

Before Jay, his father was a cheating, gambling lech and Gloria had to rob, steal and bargain to provide for Mani. I get he's meant to be eccentric, effeminate and cultured but how on Earth that was meant to occur give his parents and environment is beyond me.

Haley is meant to be an adult but she's also meant to be a bit of a jealous ditz while Alex has always tried to earn favour academically, only recently developing more feminine qualities. I think Alex and Lily work well, I think Cam and Lilly have parallels, I think Claire and Haley have parallels. If anything Claire doesn't want Haley to make the choices she made, I think Phil and Dylan have parallels as they both have talents but are slightly naive, same goes for Luke. So, I get that character interplay. Mani is just a spanner in the works most of the time.