Options

Problems with network-status

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Have you considered offering FTTP? Is it possible to route fibre in the existing conduits under the pavements to the premises?

We could, though our existing infrastructure will support 400Mb down, so that should be enough for some while yet.

Thanks

David
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Wednesday marks World IPv6 Launch Day, when many major websites such as Facebook, Google and Microsoft turn on IPv6 on their homepages. On 6th June 2011, we saw a 24-hour trial of IPv6 on the main website addresses of these sites to test for any problems, but this year IPv6 will stay enabled for good...

As this now out think lot would like to no when we are to get this service..

As thought this was long way off and it not any more..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    I see SW have upped from 50 to 60Mbps...will existing customer get the upgrade or is that subject to a new 12 month contract...?

http://www.smallworldcable.com/Fibre-Optic-Broadband/60Mb
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I see SW have upped from 50 to 60Mbps...will existing customer get the upgrade or is that subject to a new 12 month contract...?

http://www.smallworldcable.com/Fibre-Optic-Broadband/60Mb

Hi Andrew

The 60Mb broadband is £20 a month (vs £19 for the 50Mb). We are planning to upgrade existing customers to 60Mb at the slightly higher price in either August or September - still tbc.

We are still expecting 100Mb to launch November this year, once our core network upgrade is completed.

Thanks

David
    www.smallworldcable.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    I've been looking at this thread for a while. I'm based in Carlisle and my speeds are pretty much spot on for the most part, no complaints there.

Jetstorm72 the speedtest you upload from "speedtest.net" is testing from a server from Aberdeen

I was advised my the guys on tech support to test from the Morecambe server, 80.255.220.2 or 84.19.126.16, which most of the time comes back with my speed or there abouts.

What sort of speeds do you get from that server instead of Aberdeen? I did a test from the Aberdeen and got around half my speed http://www.speedtest.net/result/1967333732.png Testing from Morecambe i get between 45 and 50
    Jetstorm72 wrote: »
    Come on we need things getting fixed

As it getting worse.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1948886071.png

Test to http://80.255.220.2/ down 50.49 up 4.36

So line is working right just a really bad problem your end.

John
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to the 100mbps service!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    how come price has gone up by £2.

Last week new price was £20 for 60 and now it £22.

Thought you new prices where to match virgin
    witch they charge 18.50 for 60mb line...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jetstorm72 wrote: »
    how come price has gone up by £2.

Last week new price was £20 for 60 and now it £22.

Thought you new prices where to match virgin
    witch they charge 18.50 for 60mb line...

Hi

We had to re-look at the pricing with some extra investment we need to make, and realised that we needed to increase it by more than £1 to reflect the extra capacity that would be required. We had tried to give an early indication of price (the price doesn't kick in until August 1st) and underestimated what we needed to charge I'm afraid.

VM do charge a little less on this, but they also throttle bandwidth and use traffic management - we do neither.

Thanks

David
    www.smallworldcable.com
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks info

Just ider as well.

With the service out age on Monday for carlisle.
    And your call centre getting over loaded with calls.

Why not have a option when dial in, to here an update network status, witch will help cut down call times, and also be very informational to every one..

plus calisle has vanished from your network status.

Thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    how are the speeds on smallworld in irvine these days?

considering two 60M feeds and bonding them with a L2TP tunnel to a colo- give me 120M down (and 200M+ downstream once 100M comes online!) and some nice static IP's :-)

..drool.

Quite surprised at the use of Linux/vyetta routers - having said that, we deployed our own OpenBSD routers at work (using CARP for HA!) and are pushing 300Mbit+/s through them without breaking a sweat.

Also a C&W leased line customer here - not been too bad for us in the middle of nowhere - but again - account management a nightmare!

Nice to see smallworld have a "real" network these days - a far-cry from the "old" demon/thus leased line..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    Are we on 60 yet? Or does it start later this month?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are we on 60 yet? Or does it start later this month?

Yes, though you will need to reboot your modem.

The average speeds may take a bit of hit this week though since the whole world seems to be streaming iPlayer as we all go Olympics crazy....

Kind regards

David
    www.smallworldcable.com
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Havent updated here in a while. Speeds have been rock solid since work carried out months ago and with the introduction of 60mbps.
    Unbeatable service.
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/2110084136.png
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With cable connected direct to computer (not via router):
    Down (last 3) 59.45, 59.74, 59.89
    Up: 5.61, 5.58, 5.72
    So the 60 is working fine.

NB, if I go via the router (which I need for peripherals), the speed drops to about 43 down, but is 5.6 up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Web sluggish today. Cannot get speedtest to work - says 100% loaded, but no test showing or working on OSX 10.4.11. Managed to get it working on OSX 10.5.8 and speeds down (supposed to be 60 ...) reported of 18.07, 28.96, 17.96!
    Must be a balrog somewhere in the dustbin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Double-checked with direct connection to computer (not via router). Still cannot get speedtest to load properly and start on OSX 10.4.11 whether I use Firefox, Safari or Omniweb.

Download ... 16!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Any ider yet price for new speeds if you still planing go head with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Speedtest loading properly now.

Speeds tonight: 6.4 down, 4.86 up; then 24, 5.09 and then 25,56, 5.16
    (Via Morecambe). Erratic ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Download still not as high as expected. 36+ via Morecambe (via router) and 48 (direct connection).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I only have basic 10meg and sometimes still struggle to get half of that :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Download speed still erratic. Supposed to be 60, was 9.57 just now, and under 20 on re-testing. Uploads consistently 5+ though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Mine is erratic too, I am also having wireless issues ( see other thread ) you dont think its a router fault do you as my old router was stable .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's erratic whether I connect through my router (as usual) or direct to the computer. I wouldn't have thought both our routers are dodgy!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I'm having the same issues. I have just upgraded to 30mb (everything was working fine with my previous 10mb connection) but since the change I have been getting nothing above 6.5mbps on the speed tests and web pages are taking forever to load (if they load at all). I contacted Smallworld who assured me that they can not see any issues at all from their end. They tried to say it was my system and maybe a virus but its a fresh install as I just bought a new hard drive and its the same using my tablet. Now and again it does jump up to about 15-20 meg but lasts only for a few moments before its back down again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    In fact for the past hour it's been the worst it has been. Websites just refusing to load, takes about 4 hits of the refresh button for it to work and speed test coming in at 2mb !