EZTV and YIFY torrent sites the latest to be 'banned'

Comments

• neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    So stealing movies and music is OK because the internet makes it easy?

Downloading films has increased my purchases of DVD/BD. I'm a film fan and if I've enjoyed a download I'll often buy the disk and maybe this is for a film I'd not normally be tempted to buy. Also some old films just can't be had on disk. One of the guys who made Game of Thrones (the most downloaded series to date) said the millions of downloads raised product awareness and increased sales of the series.
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a criminal matter, you wouldn't be facing criminal charges if you downloaded music or films. You could be taken to court and made to pay a fine but that's not very likely. You might get chancers like ACAS law popping up and trying to threaten people, but look at what happened to them. Complete and utter joke.

Most of us know our rights thankfully.

it's still illegal contrary to what some are trying to say or possibly believe. and potentially someone could be facing criminal charges if they downloaded music or films, depending on circumstances. any idea that only uploading is illegal, is completely wrong
  • Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unique wrote: »
    it's still illegal contrary to what some are trying to say or possibly believe. and potentially someone could be facing criminal charges if they downloaded music or films, depending on circumstances. any idea that only uploading is illegal, is completely wrong

Again you cannot face criminal charges for downloading a film or music from a torrent site. It is a civil matter. No one said it wasn't illegal to download copyrighted material everyone is telling you it's a civil matter.

The only way it would turn criminal is if you were downloading and then sold the films or music on. People in the past have only faced civil action for sharing illegal content. The onus is on the music/film companies to prove that you have downloaded illegally. And with quite a lot of people using dynamic ip addresses they would need evidence to show it was you downloading at a specific time. They rely on guilting people to confess, making them think they have solid evidence against them.
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    You used to be able to buy a licence to permit you to copy music to a cassette
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    killjoy wrote: »
    You used to be able to buy a licence to permit you to copy music to a cassette

Really? Didnt know that. I used to copy music from the radio and vinyl to cassette. :D
  • killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,901
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately I cannot find a link to it, but I knew someone who had one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again you cannot face criminal charges for downloading a film or music from a torrent site. It is a civil matter. No one said it wasn't illegal to download copyrighted material everyone is telling you it's a civil matter.

The only way it would turn criminal is if you were downloading and then sold the films or music on. People in the past have only faced civil action for sharing illegal content. The onus is on the music/film companies to prove that you have downloaded illegally. .
    so even in the same post you say one thing and then contradict it with what you say later.

at the end of the day, copying copywritten material without permission is illegal, regardless of whether you copy a disc or download or upload, and it can be a criminal offence, but contrary to what you say, there are more reasons than just what you have highlighted that can make it a criminal offence.

just because most people don't get caught or taken to court, doesn't mean something is legal
  • fenlanderfenlander Posts: 2,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On a totally different subject....;)
    Has anyone tried the StartPage search engine? It's got an interesting option to run anything through a proxy. Just the job on occasions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so even in the same post you say one thing and then contradict it with what you say later.

I've not contradicted myself at all. I am describing 2 very different scenarios. The second scenario I mentioned is completely different. If people pirate movies and films, and then sell them on, ie on a market stall or however else they do it, then I think this would result in a criminal trial. Possibly they get the original material via torrenting or maybe they do own a physical copy of the media but then copy it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this could lead to jail time as it's a criminal matter.

Your average joe who downloads is doing nothing more than downloading copyrighted material. Yes they may upload the data afterwards to other people, but they are making no profit and are simply guilty of copyright infringement which would result at most in a civil trial.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ironic that Virgin keeps telling me my broadband speed has been upgraded to something amazing but is simultaneously also blocking the only sites where it's useful. A mad world indeed.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not contradicted myself at all. I am describing 2 very different scenarios. The second scenario I mentioned is completely different. If people pirate movies and films, and then sell them on, ie on a market stall or however else they do it, then I think this would result in a criminal trial. Possibly they get the original material via torrenting or maybe they do own a physical copy of the media but then copy it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure this could lead to jail time as it's a criminal matter.

Your average joe who downloads is doing nothing more than downloading copyrighted material. Yes they may upload the data afterwards to other people, but they are making no profit and are simply guilty of copyright infringement which would result at most in a civil trial.

you are contradicting yourself when you say in one sentence something that is the opposite of what you said in an earlier sentence

you know it's illegal, and you know it can be a criminal offense. i know that, and now other people know that too
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sites still up for me, Pirate bays never been blocked either.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    Ironic that Virgin keeps telling me my broadband speed has been upgraded to something amazing but is simultaneously also blocking the only sites where it's useful. A mad world indeed.:)

Speed is not just for downloading films et al, its very handy when there are several machines/phones at home accessing the net simultaneously.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently, 21 more sites to be banned

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-24726078
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Will read that later, just got to go and watch sport that somebody is streaming free for people :D
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodness, i'll have to adjust my bookmark for ExtraTorrent now to include the same proxy as an iframe I'm using for the other sites they've blocked. What an inconvenience, it'll take me at least 5-10 seconds to do that as a 1 time thing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Goodness, i'll have to adjust my bookmark for ExtraTorrent now to include the same proxy as an iframe I'm using for the other sites they've blocked. What an inconvenience, it'll take me at least 5-10 seconds to do that as a 1 time thing.

Well this is it.

I think it's very deluded of the BPI to think this action is "significantly" reducing piracy and copyright infringement. They seem to want to ignore the rise of sites like spotify.
  • PrimalIcePrimalIce Posts: 2,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    torrentz Pah.

Oh well still a million and one ways to get around these blocks.

Book marking some sites up now ready. It will probably get added to a certain proxy anyway :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well this is it.

I think it's very deluded of the BPI to think this action is "significantly" reducing piracy and copyright infringement. They seem to want to ignore the rise of sites like spotify.

Friends do newsgroups, I prefer torrents still, if they take sites down I just use the 10 clones that pop-up instead or use the same sites with proxybay.nl loading the site as an iframe, if they close those down I'll just use other proxies and VPNs and if they go after those people will just connect to IP addresses or use other software.

We have a network of over 1BN machines connected sending and receiving data on all sorts of protocols,preventing sharing on there is absolutely and utterly impossible without fundamentally breaking the internet and losing all the associated revenue that business makes from the internet and setting us back 15 years.

It won't happen, it can't happen the BPI and others need to come to terms with this and make it easier to download and view this stuff legally, they need to stop this silly over-pricing of stuff, stop the geo-locking of content, stop the DRM and aggressive copyright notices that you can't skip, stop the Youtube 'takedowns' from anyone that might actually promote an artist by using a clip on a video, and in general grow up and embrace the internet and make a killing from it, rather than being so backward.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to TorrentFreak they also have cyberlockers (Rapidshare et al) lined up for blocking

http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-rogue-site-report-reveals-major-site-blocking-in-48-hours-131028/

look on the bright side - think of all the bandwidth that will be released for dancing cats, twerking etc etc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to TorrentFreak they also have cyberlockers (Rapidshare et al) lined up for blocking

http://torrentfreak.com/riaa-rogue-site-report-reveals-major-site-blocking-in-48-hours-131028/

look on the bright side - think of all the bandwidth that will be released for dancing cats, twerking etc etc

None because people will still get the content, they just get it from the next site instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    ..the BPI and others need to come to terms with this and make it easier to download and view this stuff legally, they need to stop this silly over-pricing of stuff, stop the geo-locking of content, stop the DRM and aggressive copyright notices that you can't skip, stop the Youtube 'takedowns' from anyone that might actually promote an artist by using a clip on a video, and in general grow up and embrace the internet and make a killing from it, rather than being so backward.

No argument from me there, but unfortunately the likes of the BPI and the various record labels still want to cling on to an old, outdated business model so none of the above will likely ever happen.

I'd like to think that the likes of Rapidshare & co. would band together to fight any restrictions, but i doubt it would happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you can look it up if you want to. why should i bother. i don't care if you think otherwise and get caught. that's your problem.

Why should you bother to justify your unsubstantiated and incorrect statement on a forum? because if you're going to post something as fact you should be able to back it up.

Happy to post things you have no idea about as facts, without even bothering to research, and then when asked for the evidence you 'can't be bothered' to look it up.
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oooh that's a nice helpful list, there are some I haven't seen before.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Dang, use Mp3skull a lot. :o