Doctor Who - Season 8

Comments

• BatmannequinBatmannequin Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    I've got to be honest, I do prefer an Autumn/Winter timeslot for Who.

While it would be great to get some S8 episodes in 2013, I think that's probably a bit of a stretch now - as much as I want Who on as much as possible - especially in this the 50th Anniversary year - I'd rather wait a bit longer for better episodes than get something rather rushed and not as good sooner.

So my best bet is half of 8 in early 2014 and half in the Autumn.

That said, though, I also wouldn't be surprised if, using that pattern, "S8" was only six or seven episodes, and the second half of 2014 was billed as "9.1" simply because if "1/2 Early in the year, 1/2 in the Autumn" becomes the norm then there'd be a longer gap mid-season than between seasons, so it would make sense to think of the Autumn-to-Spring period as one season [like this year, but with the Autumn batch starting later, and the Early Spring part starting earlier - maybe to finish Easter Bank Holiday weekend]. So even though the episodes per year is exactly the same, we'll still get people blaming Moff for "stealing" or "cheating" us out of half of S8 ¬_¬

Although, of course, Merlin's run-up-to-Christmas slot is now free, so maybe we'll just get that in 2014, and becoming the norm after that, and nothing in early 2014. Then the Christmas episode could be seen as a "finale" to a 14 episode season. Honestly, this is actually the option that I prefer the most, although the wait between Christmas 2013 and October 2014 will be painful...
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    .... I can't see the anniversary special being any longer than an hour....

Am I wide of the mark?

Just to say that the special was reported in at least one entertainment news outlet as being ninety minutes. I think it was mingled in with comments from Matt Smith, but wasn't a direct quote from him. Either they made that figure up entirely or someone from the BBC mentioned it.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Just to say that the special was reported in at least one entertainment news outlet as being ninety minutes. I think it was mingled in with comments from Matt Smith, but wasn't a direct quote from him. Either they made that figure up entirely or someone from the BBC mentioned it.

Fair enough, so the special is likely to be the eqiv of 2 episodes.

Still seems do-able to have a full series for 2013/14 with extra for the 50th!

I'm trying to remember how they did it in 1983...I'm sure that we still had a full season start in January 84 and that was when it was on a decline in popularity!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    So, we've got the rest of 2012's 'season 7' still to watch. But 2013 should be the year of season 8.

I know we have an anniversary special to come this year - but if anyone has any rumours, thoughts or firm news about season 8, please post them here.
    Sylvester McCoy walks out of a shower, and miraculously writes off the 1996 and 2005+ Seasons as mere delusions of a mischievous ham.

Colin Baker is finally able to escape the Matrix, being the fulcrum of the "Trial of a Time Lord" season, and finally vanquishes "The Valeyard", retrieving his remaining lives.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely they have just about wrapped up filming for Series 7 (aside from a few scenes) with editing and other production things left to do? It's only January so why are people claiming that it's impossible for series 8 to air near the end of the year? Could they not film at least 5 episodes plus the 50th anniversary special and the Christmas special before September of October? That's about half a year (ignoring January, February and March).
    I know the actors obviously need a rest, but wasn't it announced a whike back that Doctor Who would be entering into the longest period of production it had ever undertaken?

Just curious. I'm not demanding we have episodes later this year, I just want to know.
  • DiscoPDiscoP Posts: 5,920
    Forum Member
    Surely they have just about wrapped up filming for Series 7 (aside from a few scenes) with editing and other production things left to do? It's only January so why are people claiming that it's impossible for series 8 to air near the end of the year? Could they not film at least 5 episodes plus the 50th anniversary special and the Christmas special before September of October? That's about half a year (ignoring January, February and March).
    I know the actors obviously need a rest, but wasn't it announced a whike back that Doctor Who would be entering into the longest period of production it had ever undertaken?

Just curious. I'm not demanding we have episodes later this year, I just want to know.

I think they return to filming in spring for the 50th anniversary. I guess there is time after that to start filming series 8 as well? The problem isn't so much the lack of time available but rather that series 8 hasn't even been announced yet and you would usually expect a series to be officially commissioned some months before production begins. Unless of course it has been commissioned and they are keeping it secret :)
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    DiscoP wrote: »
    The 12 regenerations limit was ditched ages ago anyway...
    I must have missed that 5 seconds
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

I think from a production standpoint you could definitely get Series 8 going before the end of the year - they'd be able to film most or even all of the series before the end of 2013 potentially, as well as get it to begin broadcasting. But I don't think that's the plan...

From a promotional and broadcasting stance it wouldn't make much sense. The BBC are going to want to keep a focus on the series, and wedging Series 8 in immediately after the anniversary gives that special no time to be digested, and no time to promote Series 8. More so, there are only four Saturdays between the Anniversary and Christmas, so it'd make the eighth series feel very fragmented. More so, in these financially trying times, the Beeb will be trying to save as much money as they can - I believe they'll be filming Series 8 episodes along with the anniversary (which I believe will also confirm that Matt Smith is to be in Series 8, as I already doubted they'd want to make the man the focus of the anniversary story when it has to encompass so much more) to cut down production costs and make the most of having everyone and everything assembled. They won't actually broadcast until after the Christmas special, presumably giving a bit of a gap so they don't have to rush into filming yet another bunch of episodes for another series.

If I was to make a guess, I'd say the plan since 2011 has been to air series in halves in Spring and Autumn - the anniversary changing things around a bit for the seventh series. As such I'd guess it'll look like this when its done...

SPRING 2011 - SERIES 6A
    AUTUMN 2011 - SERIES 6B
    SPRING 2012 - hiatus*
    AUTUMN 2012 - SERIES 7A
    SPRING 2013 - SERIES 7B
    AUTUMN 2013 - Anniversary
    SPRING 2014 - SERIES 8A
    AUTUMN 2014 - SERIES 8B
    SPRING 2015 - SERIES 9A
    AUTUMN 2015 - SERIES 9B

*hiatus came conveniently when they were dealing with Gillan/Darvill departing, when they announced Jenna was on board as the new companion and allowed them more time to film the series. It was effectively an unofficial break.

Of course, Series 9 being if we're lucky :p I think they'll try to level things out again, establish one series per year albeit split into two parts, keeping the show relevant all year round and making things easier for people to keep up with. This is all purely speculation of course, and just how I think they may be aiming for it to pan out. :)
    Forum Member
    I must have missed that 5 seconds

Yes, you probably did because it was from a throw away line in SJA :)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/oct/12/doctor-who-immortal-reveals-bbc
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely despise these mid season breaks.
    Forum Member
    joe_000 wrote: »
    I absolutely despise these mid season breaks.

I didn't mind the break in series 6 so much but the break between series 7a and 7b is so long as there are so many differences between them that it seems fairly arbitrary to call them both series 7 but I'm sure the reason is to do with overseas sales more than anything else.
  • Sam SolitudeSam Solitude Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    DariaM wrote: »
    Sylvester McCoy walks out of a shower, and miraculously writes off the 1996 and 2005+ Seasons as mere delusions of a mischievous ham.

Will this be the opening scene in the post watershed episode..
    "The Doctor Washes" featuring Captain Jack inside a wardrobe armed with a camcorder ? ;)
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Will this be the opening scene in the post watershed episode..
    "The Doctor Washes" featuring Captain Jack inside a wardrobe armed with a camcorder ? ;)

Or Captain Jack could just buy a dvd of Spearhead from Space. Phwoar! :)
    Forum Member
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    Or Captain Jack could just buy a dvd of Spearhead from Space. Phwoar! :)

:D:D He could.. or just use his vortex manipulator to transport himself back to 1970 ? Not sure what The Brigadier would make of Captain Jack though.Wa-hey! :)
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just think, at this point in the Classic series we'd have just switched to colour and be looking forward to The Ambassadors Of Death!
    Forum Member
    Alternatively, on January 17th 1970 we'd be awaiting episode 3 of 'Spearhead from space' which was the 'classic' series 7 opener.

'Ambassadors Of Death' was the third story in.
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alternatively, on January 17th 1970 we'd be awaiting episode 3 of 'Spearhead from space' which was the 'classic' series 7 opener.

'Ambassadors Of Death' was the third story in.

Yeah, I was going for the 'halfway through the season' angle.
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I was going for the 'halfway through the season' angle.

Yep.'halfway through the season' angles are cool.
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was to make a guess, I'd say the plan since 2011 has been to air series in halves in Spring and Autumn - the anniversary changing things around a bit for the seventh series. As such I'd guess it'll look like this when its done...

SPRING 2011 - SERIES 6A
    AUTUMN 2011 - SERIES 6B
    SPRING 2012 - hiatus*
    AUTUMN 2012 - SERIES 7A
    SPRING 2013 - SERIES 7B
    SPRING 2014 - SERIES 8A
    AUTUMN 2014 - SERIES 8B
    SPRING 2015 - SERIES 9A
    AUTUMN 2015 - SERIES 9B

I think you might be right but I still think there's a chance we may get a return to winter broadcast out of the whole split-season affair...

SPRING 2011 - SERIES 6A
    AUTUMN 2011 - SERIES 6B
    SPRING 2012 - hiatus*
    AUTUMN 2012 - SERIES 7A
    SPRING 2013 - SERIES 7B
    AUTUMN/WINTER 2013/14 - SERIES 8
    AUTUMN/WINTER 2014/15 - possibly specials for Moff's finale?
    AUTUMN/WINTER 2015/16 - SERIES 9 (with a new Doctor and Showrunner ?)
  • DuncanEmeryDuncanEmery Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    wowboy wrote: »
    When is series 8 actually meant to start? I assumed it was 2014.

I know people will say series 7 hasn't finished but as far as I am concerned season 7 was just 5 episodes . a mid season break should be 4 or 5 weeks not 4 or 5 months . When it returns we will have a new look Tardis and a new companion joining it will look nothing like any other part of season 7 and there has been a Christmas special in between which has moved story on too.

All this stuff about splitting series is just flannel for less Dr Who and I just can't believe so many people are happy to play along with the scam.

If only a handful of episodes in a year fair enough better than no Dr Who at all but come on when it returns at I assume Easter it will be series 8, again a short run before hopefully a decent 50 anniversary episode and a Christmas one again before we see series 9 in spring 2014
  • tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But if Moffat is calling it series 7 that's what it is. I'm not trying to force my opinion down anyone's throat, it just seems like some people can't accept that it's one series with a large space of time in the middle. I don't think we fans should go calling 7.2 series 8 when Moffat, the production team, cast and the rest of the Internet refer to it as series 7. It would all get ridiculously confusing, especially to new comers who then might not know which series is which.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did have this dream the other night that the bbc had indeed commissioned a season 8 and it was shown this year after the special into the new year. Indeed, It transpired that the reason for the secrecy, was that The 50th special was Matt's last shout as the doctor. As the new season had a new Dr and they wanted to keep it hush, they even commissioned the show under a false name.

In case anyone is wondering, the special featured the return of galifrey and the restoration of the time lords, something season 7b and indeed Clara, had been leading up to. But they blamed the dr for the losses in the time war and forced another regeneration on him. They also further punished him by blocking his tardis from ever interacting with his beloved planet Earth again.

You see they know, what's in store for this little planet and it ain't pretty, but is necessary for their survival and permanent return. They know the dr well, and that he will use his tardis to stop it. What they didnt account for was his newest companion Clara. The dr has to make a choice, watch his fave little planet burn or unleash the future's deadliest weapon upon his own people before its too late.

From what I remember it was a good special lol. Quite dark in places and Clara goes down in history as the top rated companion ever... Although, many argue that the term companion, is not strictly true given what, or I should say, who she really is...
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    But if Moffat is calling it series 7 that's what it is. I'm not trying to force my opinion down anyone's throat, it just seems like some people can't accept that it's one series with a large space of time in the middle. I don't think we fans should go calling 7.2 series 8 when Moffat, the production team, cast and the rest of the Internet refer to it as series 7. It would all get ridiculously confusing, especially to new comers who then might not know which series is which.

For the sake of keeping things tidy, I prefer it as Series 7 anyway. The fact that Clara's story essentially began in Asylum of the Daleks makes that link between the two halves work anyway :)

I remember at the time people thought that Series 6 would feel like Series 6 and Series 7 with the gap in the middle, but everyone now refers to it as a collective and even viewing it back makes it feel like a collective more so than when it was originally watched. :)
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,055
    Forum Member
    I must admnit I agree with those forum members who say season 7b feels more like a new season altogether.
    It does feel to me that the BBC has halfed the length of a season of Doctor Who by the back door. Its 1986 all over again!
  • ShoppyShoppy Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I must admnit I agree with those forum members who say season 7b feels more like a new season altogether.
    It does feel to me that the BBC has halfed the length of a season of Doctor Who by the back door. Its 1986 all over again!
    "Quick, Run, The sky's falling in!" :rolleyes:

We got 60 episodes in 5 years from Russell,

By the summer we'll have had 42 episodes in 3 and a half years from Moff,

That's still the same average of 12 episodes a year

If the anniversary kicks off Series 8 we'll then be getting at least another 14 episodes in the 12 months following 7b.

Nothing to worry about from what I can see.

Does anyone honestly believe we'll get nothing for 6 months either side of the anniversary except the xmas special?