Options

Recommend a European beach holiday destination?

rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For a youngish couple on a normal budget. Been to the algarve twice and loved it but need to go somewhere else, somewhere similar ie mixture of older and younger crowd, lively but not a party hellhole

I'm thinking Spanish Islands but not sure which one

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majorca?

Fuerteventura?
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a big fan of the Greek islands, my fave european holiday destination.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majorca?

Fuerteventura?

That's what I'm looking at, just want a bit more info

We don't really fit into the party crowd/family crowd/old timers crowd
    So need a mixture of all 3 lol
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Mallorca - Puerto Pollensa - should fit the bill nicely
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member

Second this one. Depends on your budget, I didn't find Puerto Pollensa the cheapest place i'd ever been, but it is a real classy place.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. Great bus service to other parts of the island.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    3 Poole have mentioned it so I'll check it out, thanks
  • Options
    DirtyhippyDirtyhippy Posts: 2,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lindos, Rhodes is my favourite beach holiday but it is probably for a slightly older crowd. Say 30-65.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crete:)
  • Options
    lozengerlozenger Posts: 4,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the Greek or Spanish Islands would fit your bill - but dont rule out Turkey some amazing places and seems to be very economical compared to Spain and Greece.
  • Options
    radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Faliraki on Rhodes
  • Options
    pmyoungpmyoung Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    Ibiza

Not San Antonio though

Es Cana or Santa Eulalia
  • Options
    oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Zante, lots to do with all kinds of different places for young and old. We got around on quad bikes. I imagine all the Greek islands are just as nice. I also really liked Ibiza it has some lovely beaches.

Having said that I don't think I have ever been on a beach holiday I didn't like :D
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spanish Islands are good especially Ibiza & Majorca, Menorca maybe a little to quite for you. I would ignore the Canaries far nicer options available in the summer months, Canaries you really should only consider in the winter.

Outside of Spain, Olu Deniz in Turkey is good, or Dubrovnik in Croatia, actually to be fair most of Croatia really.

Greece all islands have something to offer, Kefalonia would be a good option or Rhodes, but nice beaches are on the med side (Falaraki to Lindos) rather than the Aegean.
  • Options
    kareena46kareena46 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Cala Galdana Menorca is a little piece of heaven. Beautiful beach, a good selection of restaurants and bars and no drunken louts.

If you need entertainment, the hotels are happy for you to go in if you buy a drink. It's not the cheapest place but is so beautiful you will want to return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers people, I'm checking out all these places. I need a bit of a town aswell, not just a flat place with a beach. Was looking at canaries but someone has shot that down, it's all opinions I guess
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check out sunshine.co.uk

If you haven't done already.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lindos, Rhodes is great for bars and eating out in rooftop restaurants, Skala or Lassi in Kefalonia are both lively without being 18-30. Ag Nik on Crete is good for bars and laid back nightlife as well
  • Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    I'm going to Rhodes this year, I picked it as it has beaches, all the different towns, the history and, I believe, a mixture of ages. It's my first time to Rhodes and I'm excited! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers people, I'm checking out all these places. I need a bit of a town aswell, not just a flat place with a beach. Was looking at canaries but someone has shot that down, it's all opinions I guess

If you want something a bit different and possibly one of the best holidays you may have, consider a gulet cruise in Turkey, they are great fun.
  • Options
    Paulie WalnutsPaulie Walnuts Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tsilivi in Greece, or Protaras in Cyprus.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majorca

Puerto-Pollenca - Classy, good mix of people but erring toward families, good atmosphere - but potentially too expensive. On the North side of the island and takes ages to get to from the airport.

Santa Ponsa - Not quite as classy, but still nice. Good mix of people but erring on the younger side. Mid-range value. On the south side of the island and not far from the capital (Palma) and party-town (Magaluf).. but far enough away that neither affects it :D
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Spanish Islands are good especially Ibiza & Majorca, Menorca maybe a little to quite for you. I would ignore the Canaries far nicer options available in the summer months, Canaries you really should only consider in the winter.

Outside of Spain, Olu Deniz in Turkey is good, or Dubrovnik in Croatia, actually to be fair most of Croatia really.

Greece all islands have something to offer, Kefalonia would be a good option or Rhodes, but nice beaches are on the med side (Falaraki to Lindos) rather than the Aegean.

Why would you rule out the Canaries? There are some lovely resorts and it is miles cheaper to eat and drink than in most of Europe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would you rule out the Canaries? There are some lovely resorts and it is miles cheaper to eat and drink than in most of Europe.

Personally for me I find the Canaries are nothing to write home about, dull and bland for the most part, okay in the winter when you need a bit of sun, but the med offers far more.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Personally for me I find the Canaries are nothing to write home about, dull and bland for the most part, okay in the winter when you need a bit of sun, but the med offers far more.

I would agree. Canaries are for the times when it's not hot enough to go anywhere else in a few hours. October to April is Canaries time imo.