Air Algerie loses contact with plane (AH5017)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    According to various sources, Raul Castro's (president of Cuba) daughter was on board.

She was just on Venezuelan TV, on telesur saying that she's "alive, happy and healthy...Maybe the media that published that news needed a bit of publicity but here I am."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    This is getting scary all these planes disappearing or getting shot out of the sky

You're more likely to die from food poisoning than be killed in a plane crash.

11,000,000/1 plane crash

Plane crashes worldwide claim 1,300 people every year. Young men are most likely to emerge from the wreckage alive - and 12 per cent of passengers who survive the impact will die from shock later.

3,000,000/1 dying from food poisoning

More than 79,000 cases of food poisoning were reported last year in the UK, while every year around 200 people die as a result of eating contaminated food.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/scientists-calculate-odd-ways-die-282884
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is getting scary all these planes disappearing or getting shot out of the sky

just look on here http://www.flightradar24.com/52.08,0.53/7 and you'll see how many flights there are in the air at any given time - the chances of being involved in an incident are minimal
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why?

Air is still statistically the safest way to travel.

I agree. My family travel by air quite a bit, have been for decades, and the only relatives who were involved with a plane crash are my uncle's wife and her parents, who were on JAL (Japan Airlines) Flight 350 in 1982.

Compare that with over 30 relatives who were involved with car, bus and motorcycle accidents. The latest was my cousin whose car got clipped by a lorry, due to its driver falling asleep.
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Early reports are that the plane asked to change course due to bad weather. Seems to me, like the the crash the other day, it was probably down to severe weather rather than a hijacking or being shot down. Still tragic for the families of those involved.
    Indeed. I would imagine, like many passengers travelling at the moment, that flight MH17 would have been uppermost in their minds. Now they are the next victims :(

They have fighter planes in the area searching for the plane. I hope they find it soon. If the pilot managed some kind of controlled crash landing, there may be a chance of some survivors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    Indeed. I would imagine, like many passengers travelling at the moment, that flight MH17 would be uppermost in their minds. Now they are the next victims :(

They have fighter planes in the area searching for the plane. If the pilot managed some kind of controlled crash landing, there may be a chance of some survivors.

Fingers crossed there are survivors. On one hand, it's got to be easier to crash land in the desert than in an inhabited or mountainous area. On the other hand, it's the desert.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Er, yes!!!! No matter the length of flight I am like a cat, never relaxed and poised for danger!! And no I'm not saying it's rational BUT I HATE FLYING.

I've not flown enough to know how bad I really am with flights (having only been on two return trips through the air in my 22 years) but I really appreciate the added fear of flying, as opposed to driving.

If a car crashes, it could kill you. If a car breaks down, you should be fine.

If a plane crashes, it's more likely to kill you. If a plane breaks down, it's also more likely to kill you.

The fact that planes are generally reliable is all well and good, but the extensive amount of checks and the fact there's no simple hop-in/hop-out element like there is with a car makes it play on the mind an awful lot more. I think it's quite normal for the mind to perceive flying as the greater danger, even if it isn't.
  • angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Do people really sit on planes feeling like something could go wrong? I can honestly say I've never felt like that at all.
    I wouldn't say I like flying but that's more because I find it boring rather than scary.

I've flown quite a few times and not had a problem but when I hit 30, I became terrified. I'd study the faces of the cabin crew for signs of panic! Silly I know, but I was soooo scared....and it was a long flight.
  • Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've flown quite a few times and not had a problem but when I hit 30, I became terrified. I'd study the faces of the cabin crew for signs of panic! Silly I know, but I was soooo scared....and it was a long flight.

The only time I felt slightly nervous was earlier this year when we aborted landing. I must admit, the entire plane did sit upright when we got quite close to the ground and then started climbing again. However, we looked at the cabin crew and they were just chatting away like nothing had happened. I think we all felt better once we'd gone round in a circle and was actually on the floor
  • Proposition JoeProposition Joe Posts: 236
    Forum Member
    Whenever I feel scared or nervous on a plane I just start praying in Arabic . Calms me right down.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    In the unlikely event you're involved in a plane crash, you've a 95.7% chance of surviving.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/curiosity/topics/big-question-what-are-odds-of-surviving-plane-crash.htm

What exactly do they consider a "plane crash" though?

I mean, reversing your car into a lamp post at 2 mph could be considered a car crash and you're very unlikely to be hurt - and I doubt it would go into some kind of government statistical database on car accidents. However, hitting another car or obstacle at 70 mph would likely be fatal and be recorded.

Arent ALL accidents, however minor, involving aircraft investigated? Even the equivalent of "reversing into a lamp post at 2 mph"

I think survivability really depends on the type of crash - and some are just not survivable.
  • Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What exactly do they consider a "plane crash" though?

I mean, reversing your car into a lamp post at 2 mph could be considered a car crash and you're very unlikely to be hurt - and I doubt it would go into some kind of government statistical database on car accidents. However, hitting another car or obstacle at 70 mph would likely be fatal and be recorded.

Arent ALL accidents, however minor, involving aircraft investigated? Even the equivalent of "reversing into a lamp post at 2 mph"

I think survivability really depends on the type of crash - and some are just not survivable.
    On the same page, survivability of the "worst" crashes is still 75%.

But remember those statistics assume you will be in a crash. If you apply them to flying in general, "the chance of surviving your flight" is pushing 100%.
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meilie wrote: »
    You're more likely to die from food poisoning than be killed in a plane crash.

11,000,000/1 plane crash

Plane crashes worldwide claim 1,300 people every year. Young men are most likely to emerge from the wreckage alive - and 12 per cent of passengers who survive the impact will die from shock later.

3,000,000/1 dying from food poisoning

More than 79,000 cases of food poisoning were reported last year in the UK, while every year around 200 people die as a result of eating contaminated food.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/scientists-calculate-odd-ways-die-282884

Some of these stats are misleading.

More people get food poisoning each year because every human eats food each year.
  • CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not flown enough to know how bad I really am with flights (having only been on two return trips through the air in my 22 years) but I really appreciate the added fear of flying, as opposed to driving.

If a car crashes, it could kill you. If a car breaks down, you should be fine.

If a plane crashes, it's more likely to kill you. If a plane breaks down, it's also more likely to kill you.

The fact that planes are generally reliable is all well and good, but the extensive amount of checks and the fact there's no simple hop-in/hop-out element like there is with a car makes it play on the mind an awful lot more. I think it's quite normal for the mind to perceive flying as the greater danger, even if it isn't.

Also a car crash is usually over pretty quickly, whereas on a plane you could feasibly still be alive till you hit the ground knowing you're dead meat. A pretty horrific thought. I was surprised to hear the experts saying no one could've been alive on MH17 when they plummeted but I'm sure I've read in the past that some passengers on planes could've been alive till they hit the ground. Apparently not everyone in the Lockerbie air crash was dead straight away. I think the captain and a female passenger lasted for a bit. Shudder. I guess every accident is different though. Not usually a survivable out come though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of these stats are misleading.

More people get food poisoning each year because every human eats food each year.

And most of the poisoning is from airline food :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "All these planes"?

You do realise how many flights take place every single day?

You're like a broken record, it's getting bloody boring
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    You're like a broken record, it's getting bloody boring
    Well don't read the thread then.

So long as people keep posting stupid comments about airline safety, I'll keep replying.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well don't read the thread then.

So long as people keep posting stupid comments about airline safety, I'll keep replying.

We all know about how many flights take place a day and how much safer it is compared to car travel. Some people have a fear of flying just like some people have a fear of wasps or a fear of thunderstorms or a fear of the bloody daleks out of dr who!!! It may be 'irrational' and there may be a nice list of statistics for you to post to show them how 'stupid' their comments are, but you still miss the point! Some people are just sacred of or don't like flying!!

Oh and i'll read any thread i like thanks. You're not the only poster on the thread
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Do people really sit on planes feeling like something could go wrong? I can honestly say I've never felt like that at all.
    I wouldn't say I like flying but that's more because I find it boring rather than scary.

I have been on planes that have developed problems (some minor, some slightly more concerning) 4 times!!!
    When i say Im scared of flying people say "ah but you've never been on a plane with a problem have you?" Wanna bet??
    (I only fly once or twice a year)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    We all know about how many flights take place a day and how much safer it is compared to car travel. Some people have a fear of flying just like some people have a fear of wasps or a fear of thunderstorms or a fear of the bloody daleks out of dr who!!! It may be 'irrational' and there may be a nice list of statistics for you to post to show them how 'stupid' their comments are, but you still miss the point! Some people are just sacred of or don't like flying!!
    The post you quoted had sod all to do with fears of flying. It was a response to a stupid comment about how things are "getting scary" (note the word "getting", so not a pre-existing fear).
    Oh and i'll read any thread i like thanks. You're not the only poster on the thread
    Your choice, but I wouldn't want you getting bored by my posts.
  • welsh_Elwelsh_El Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3 planes lost in a week.......... Crazy !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The post you quoted had sod all to do with fears of flying. It was a response to a stupid comment about how things are "getting scary" (note the word "getting", so not a pre-existing fear).

Your choice, but I wouldn't want you getting bored by my posts.

Maybe people are alarmed by a second -plane actually going missing. It's not exactly every year that this happens (if it does then i don't recall hearing it in the news). Crashes and planes just vanishing are two different things and i can understand why people find the latter a bit freaky.

I think the words 'plane crash' just sends a cold chill down people's spines. However less common it is i think it has the ability to put real fear into people, i think that's just the way it is.

Tbh i am aware that this will seem 'irrational' but i hate flying and haven't been on a plane since 2001, i felt caged up on that plane the times i want on planes, couldn't relax, i just didn't like it. I'm fine in a car and yes i know i'm more likely to be involved in an accident in a car. I just prefer being on the ground to being in the air and knowing that if i want to get out i can ask the driver to pull over (the fact you just can't get off a plane freaks me out too)
  • franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    all_night wrote: »
    Well these things happen sadly. Even hours after it was reported missing that was going to cause worry, whether its five minutes or five hours after something has happened.

Of course any reporting it's going to cause worry but the way some media sensationalise things it could compound that worry - best to have reports that are factual and not simply headline grabbers.
  • d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Also a car crash is usually over pretty quickly, whereas on a plane you could feasibly still be alive till you hit the ground knowing you're dead meat. A pretty horrific thought. I was surprised to hear the experts saying no one could've been alive on MH17 when they plummeted but I'm sure I've read in the past that some passengers on planes could've been alive till they hit the ground. Apparently not everyone in the Lockerbie air crash was dead straight away. I think the captain and a female passenger lasted for a bit. Shudder. I guess every accident is different though. Not usually a survivable out come though.

Yes, I think I have heard that before. A terrible thought as relatives really wouldn;t want to know that, much "nicer" [not the right word really] to be told your relative knew nothing about it and died instantly.