Options

Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How did 'Breathing' do so badly in the chart relatively? I'm a bit biased 'cos I love Kate! :)
    Babooshka is THE Kate hit of 1980 for me, should have been her second No1 single.

It was a No16 sandwich between Breathing and Army Dreamers later in the year.
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did 'Breathing' do so badly in the chart relatively? I'm a bit biased 'cos I love Kate! :)

It's a good question. I seriously wonder how many people (myself, to my now embarrassment very much included), who back then just didn't 'get it' at the time, but 30 something years on now realise, my god, the woman is genius like and innovative beyond belief. Amazing stuff from Kate B. Really, was just a wow type moment.
  • Options
    highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    Babooshka is THE Kate hit of 1980 for me, should have been her second No1 single.

It was a No16 sandwich between Breathing and Army Dreamers later in the year.

I know Rich. 'Babooshka' deserved so much more than No.5! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah well, Mr Logan got a bit longer on that edit! Lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a great edition, such a diverse line up, well worth staying up for. I'm ready for another! :D
  • Options
    tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shit song.

Simple.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Torch81 wrote: »
    It's a good question. I seriously wonder how many people (myself, to my now embarrassment very much included), who back then just didn't 'get it' at the time, but 30 something years on now realise, my god, the woman is genius like and innovative beyond belief. Amazing stuff from Kate B. Really, was just a wow type moment.

You summed it up perfectly Torch. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tinman wrote: »
    Shit song.

Simple.

:D:D Never feed the trolls. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8/10.

Would have been an extra point but for that atrocious Lemmy track and the generic Chords.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shit song.

Simple.

Shit post!

Even simpler. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    8/10.

Would have been an extra point but for that atrocious Lemmy track and the generic Chords.

I'd go for a 10/10 on that one. I don't do that very often. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shit post!

Even simpler. ;-)

:D:D
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shit post!

Even simpler. ;-)

Very adult.

Is Kate's output not to be criticised on this, the cliquiest of boards ? :D

The answer to why, even with a TOTP appearance, it didn't do so well, was that the song was tuneless and poor, to put it technically, it was shit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Very adult.

The answer to why, even with a TOTP appearance, it didn't do so well, was that the song was tuneless and poor, to put it technically, it was shit.
    We indulge in humour on this thread, it is allowed as is criticism, but I think we expect a bit more than a four letter word in critical discussion. Surely not much to ask, without meaning to sound pompous about it.

A top twenty hit is hardly failure anyway. I'm not immune to Kate Bush criticism at all. I do not like her 1981 hit Sat In Your Lap which made No11 just over a year from these 1980 shows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shit song.

Simple.

No it wasn't. But it's all about personal taste I suppose so....

... each to their own.
    :D:D Never feed the trolls. :D

Indeed. ;-)
    8/10.

Slightly harsh but true assessment RT. Didn't mind The Chords personally but the Motorhead track was very forgettable.
    Shit post!

Even simpler. ;-)

:D
    I'd go for a 10/10 on that one. I don't do that very often. :)

Ooh, there's high praise. I'm close to that on this one but am sticking with 9.5, but on second viewing would push it to 9.7/10, (I'm getting creative with my marking now! ;-)). Was great but as you said earlier, where do you do you go if you hit 10, You need to leave a touch of leeway there. Just had a peak at next week's line up. Looks good! We've got a very different and interesting one coming up there I think.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Very adult.

Kate can be criticised. That's what the forum's for. Everyone can have their say.
    Sometimes people come on and try to be 'clever' and look for an argument. Most of the posters on here can see right through thatl :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ooh, there's high praise. I'm close to that on this one but am sticking with 9.5, but on second viewing would push it to 9.7/10, (I'm getting creative with my marking now! ;-)). Was great but as you said earlier, where do you do you go if you hit 10, You need to leave a touch of leeway there. Just had a peak at next week's line up. Looks good! We've got a very different and interesting one coming up there I think.

I know. I might have been a bit generous with the 10. Lol :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The success of that Rodney Franklin instrumental The Groove is quite interesting and surprising to me. Not a track known to me before hearing it on TOTP these past weeks but No7 seems very generous and it had a rapid rise too - 70, 27, 13, 7 and equally quick fall 11, 14, 46, 58, 74. It is what I call "coffee table music" which is ironic considering the routine with the sofa but no table.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We indulge in humour on this thread, it is allowed as is criticism, but I think we expect a bit more than a four letter word in critical discussion. Surely not much to ask, without meaning to sound pompous about it.

A top twenty hit is hardly failure anyway. I'm not immune to Kate Bush criticism at all. I do not like her 1981 hit Sat In Your Lap which made No11 just over a year from these 1980 shows.

I'll not have a bad word said about 'Sat In Your Lap' Mr. Rich!! :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll not have a bad word said about 'Sat In Your Lap' Mr. Rich!! :D:D
    Brilliant, just fab Highlander Ian.

Jumped off your lap for once. :p
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member

Yes - a lot of Kate's greatest songs failed to make the Top 10 unbelievably - ( including Sat In Your Lap - Rich T :blush:)

The same could be said for a few of other great artists at the time - like the wonderful XTC & The Undertones, whose wonderful singles barely scraped into the Top 10 ever!!
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The success of that Rodney Franklin instrumental The Groove is quite interesting and surprising to me. Not a track known to me before hearing it on TOTP these past weeks but No7 seems very generous and it had a rapid rise too - 70, 27, 13, 7 and equally quick fall 11, 14, 46, 58, 74. It is what I call "coffee table music" which is ironic considering the routine with the sofa but no table.

The success of 'The Groove', like 'Jazz Carnival', reflects the growth of the jazz-funk scene in the UK at the time, and is also proof of how black music never got sidelined in the British charts in the way anything vaguely disco-y struggled in the US post-1979.

'The Groove' was a big club hit and also spawned a dance craze called 'the freeze' - where dancers would suddenly hold the positions they were in at the point the music pauses.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very adult.

You may think it was 'poor' but it clearly isn't tuneless. What 'Breathing' is, however, is challenging, political and experimental. Which may not be to everyone's tastes, granted - and Kate had quite mixed fortunes on the singles chart - but it's her versatility and her willingness to push boundaries that sets her apart from so many others.
  • Options
    Robbie01Robbie01 Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'The Groove' was a very popular track in clubs / discos at the time and the track created a short-lived dance craze called "The Freeze". Basically when the music stopped during the track the dancer would "freeze" on the spot until the music restarted.

The single was very popular in the south, especially in the London area, and I'm guessing a large percentage of its sales were from the south. The single topped the Record Mirror Disco chart for 3 weeks in mid to late May 1980 - I think most of the DJ's who provided the data for the chart were southern based.

Another record that was popular during the short lived craze of "The Freeze" was 'The Scratch' by Surface Noise. That record made number 26 in June 1980. Top Of The Pops was off-air when this record was in the top 40 - goodness knows what dance routine Legs & Co could have done to this one as their dance routine to 'The Groove' was abysmal!

'The Scratch' is a nice, groove-driven, jazz-funk track that seems to be long forgotten these days. Again, like 'The Groove', it reached number 1 on the Record Mirror Disco chart, this time for one week on the chart dated 5 July 1980 - the same day that Bjorn Borg beat John McEnroe at Wimbledon in a 5 set thriller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPYNIc_M1ng
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like much of Kate Bush's music. There, I've said it.
This discussion has been closed.