dvd recorder device

Is there a dvd recorder which will record free view stations while watching another

Comments

• grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panasonic do a range of Freeview+ twin tuner models with a DVD or Blu-ray recorder built in. Not cheap though :D
  • cbram1970cbram1970 Posts: 404
    Forum Member
    Anything that doesn't have a dual digital tuner is not worth bothering with.

I am sure Panasonic will have something.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Many thanks to you both
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    cbram1970 wrote: »
    Anything that doesn't have a dual digital tuner is not worth bothering with.
    Unless you want an inexpensive way of recording from an external source. A feature which the overwhelming majority of dual-tuner machines do not have and those that do have a hefty price ticket.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Thanks for previous info. As I only need a new recorder for very few programs BBC3 for example, I want for now to keep my original recorder. Since the last retune The old one is not working at all. It is a Techwood of about 5 years old. It only recorded the 5 chanels does this mean it wont upgrade now that we are digital. will I need to renew it or does it need reconnecting or tuning in some way?
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will I need to renew it or does it need reconnecting or tuning in some way?

If it only has an analogue tuner built into it - and there are no longer any analogue terrestrial broadcasts in your postcode area - then you cannot record anything on it from its internal tuner. However, if it supports scart input, you could buy a separate Freeview receiver for about a tenner, and connect the scart out from the Freeview receiver to the scart in on the DVD recorder and record from scart input rather than from the internal tuner.

Its not a very elegant way of doings things though - you will need to set the Freeview receiver to the correct channel and ensure you leave it tuned to that channel, and set the DVD recorder up manually to record from its scart input between the start time and end time of the programme you want to record. And if you want to record two different channels, you will have to manually switch the Freeview tuner from one channel to the next after your first programme has recorded to DVD but before the second programme starts. Whereas with a DVD recorder with its own digital tuner, all you would have to do is select the two seperate programmes from the EPG which comes with the DVD recorder, tell the recorder to record both programmes, and it will automatically switch channels for you.