Athletics 2013

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I thought those champs overall have been pretty good. I thought they would be a bit down beat after the Olympics, but there were some great performances.

Incidentally, Eurosport mentioned that Jen Stuhr set a new WR for the pole vault yesterday - 5.02 at the US Nationals. Strange I was thinking the event was in a bit of slump yesterday.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    What went wrong for Perri Shakes Drayton at the Olympics? I remember the publicity about Holly Bleasdale but can't say the same about Perri.

Thee was talk afterwards about a hamstring injury but whilst I of course don't know 100% have always been a bit unsure about this. She ran very well in her heat & then ran a terrible race in the semi final. She was fit enough to run pretty well in the relay & ran quite well in some Damond League meets after as well. I suspect pressure got to her rather than anything physical.
  • alexjones50alexjones50 Posts: 3,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well britain are in joint second place in the medal table at the end of the event, well done to the british team.
  • footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,171
    Forum Member
    Pedantic plonkers - ridiculous DQ - thank goodness common sense prevailed
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well britain are in joint second place in the medal table at the end of the event, well done to the british team.

Joint second?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Ah well - glad she's done it now. And she should have another Olympics, all being well.

For me her basic flat speed has never been in question but her hurdling is quite inconsistent so she still needs to nail that.

I really think she needs a good perfrmance at the Worlds this year either a medal or close to one otherwise I question if she will ever win medals at the highest level or if she should maybe consider concentrating on the flat 400m.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I thought those champs overall have been pretty good. I thought they would be a bit down beat after the Olympics, but there were some great performances.

Incidentally, Eurosport mentioned that Jen Stuhr set a new WR for the pole vault yesterday - 5.02 at the US Nationals. Strange I was thinking the event was in a bit of slump yesterday.

Agreed - often the Euro Indoors can feel a bit flat but not so this year.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not bad from Team GB but not many of them look like they can challenge for medals at World level. Maybe Perri can if she continues to improve but that's about it. I just don't see a champion when I look at Holly, I still think she's too mentally weak to be the best.

I was really disappointed by Robbie Grabarz, he did so well to win the Diamond League last year I hope he isn't going to regress this season because he looked like he was heading to the top.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I love athletics but usually, indoor athletics interests me as much as non-olympic sailing does but this was a highly competitive and watchable championship. There were some top notch performances, lots of GB new guard seemed to be coming through, Perri and Holly were great (and both needed big championship wins) and it is frankly good to see anyone other than CVC at the head of things.

Agree about the pole vault. Great performance by Suhr. If Isinbaeva ever gets her mojo (or should that be "polo") back, we could be in for a terrific world champs. Also look out for some fireworks in the female high jump if Vlasic returns fit to challenge Chicherova.

Even liked the presenting. Edwards was a decent host, Jackson's bumbling days look behind him, Denise is getting more and more confident in expressing her opinion - only Paula seemed (understandably) a little overwhelmed but offerred enough trackside insight to show she's there on merit.

Having watched MOTD and one session of the champs straight after each other, I was once again struck by how much better the beebs athletic pundits are than their football pundits - I suppose there's more scope for commentary in athletics but still....
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,297
    Forum Member

much better the beebs athletic pundits are than their football pundits - I suppose there's more scope for commentary in athletics but still....

Few more brain cells and ability to speak without cliches might help too.

Quite enjoyed watching athletes we don't know much about do well and interesting the guys who maybe didn't get to perform as well at the Olympics did a decent ojb this time...
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member

Yeah women's pole vault is looking healthy with Suhr, Silva the Cuban, Bleasdale and Isinbeyeva and the other Russians.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe we have so long to wait to the next meet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »

There are some bits and pieces in between. World Cross Country champs 24th March. Then the Spring marathons. The first Diamond League event is 10 May, in Doha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A while until the next Track & Field meeting yes. But there is the World Cross Country Champs later this Month and then we are into the Spring Marathon season including London.

Am sure before we know it May will be here & the Diamond League starting up.
  • cray1975cray1975 Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky Sports 3 have the Inter-Counties Cross Country & World Trials on Saturday from 11am
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We haven't been talking about it here recently, but it seems that the drug testers having been cutting a swathe through Russian women's athletics in the last few months. The good news is that it seems to be the Russians themselves taking the initiative. There has obviously been an order from the Kremlin to clean things up prior to the Sochi Winter Olympics next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21622949

And retests from the 2005 world champs throw up a few familiar names

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21712788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We haven't been talking about it here recently, but it seems that the drug testers having been cutting a swathe through Russian women's athletics in the last few months. The good news is that it seems to be the Russians themselves taking the initiative. There has obviously been an order from the Kremlin to clean things up prior to the Sochi Winter Olympics next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21622949

And retests from the 2005 world champs throw up a few familiar names

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21712788

I thought the times were over where you could medal years after the competition. I feel for Jade Johnson.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the times were over where you could medal years after the competition. I feel for Jade Johnson.

IAAF policy now is to test automatically towards the end of the 8 year window allowed to ensurethat the most up to date testing science can be utilized. Will be interesting to see which positives will come up from London 2012 early in 2020.

Last week I saw a figure of 33 Russian athletes currently banned at present & with these 2 that's 35. Really needs to be something done about this by IAAF and/or WADA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jess Ennis & Usain Bolt win the World Sportswoman & Sportsman of the year awards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/21752713
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    IAAF policy now is to test automatically towards the end of the 8 year window allowed to ensurethat the most up to date testing science can be utilized. Will be interesting to see which positives will come up from London 2012 early in 2020.

Last week I saw a figure of 33 Russian athletes currently banned at present & with these 2 that's 35. Really needs to be something done about this by IAAF and/or WADA.
    A bunch of athletes are in trouble because of irregularities during their blood passports tests. Oh dear!!
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/athletics-seventeen-athletes-face-bans-biological-passport-findings-152251371.html
    Forum Member
    Pietro Mannea has passed away. He was a very exciting sprinter and you never quite knew if he was beaten until the very end...if you know what I mean!!! Used to love his duels with Allan Wells.
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/athletics-olympic-champion-pietro-mannea-dies-age-60-093930509.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    A bunch of athletes are in trouble because of irregularities during their blood passports tests. Oh dear!!
    http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/athletics-seventeen-athletes-face-bans-biological-passport-findings-152251371.html

And more doping news - not confirmed yet by the IAAF but a number of other athletes have failed tests including Turkey's Olympic 1500m Champion Cakir.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/london-2012-1500m-champ-cakir-alptekin-tests-positive-for-banned-substances
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To matters on the track or should I say Cross Country, just a reminder that the World Cross Country Champs are taking place in Poland this Sunday with coverage on BBC2 from midday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    And more doping news - not confirmed yet by the IAAF but a number of other athletes have failed tests including Turkey's Olympic 1500m Champion Cakir.

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/news/london-2012-1500m-champ-cakir-alptekin-tests-positive-for-banned-substances

Interesting the 4th place athlete has also served a drugs ban!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mandark wrote: »
    Pietro Mannea has passed away. He was a very exciting sprinter and you never quite knew if he was beaten until the very end...if you know what I mean!!! Used to love his duels with Allan Wells.

Just goes to show how racial preconceptions have affected modern athletics. Nobody nowadays would believe that a white man could run 19.72 for the 200m, but he did, and set a world record that took 20 years to beat.