Options

The most Influential Movie

2»

Comments

• Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most influential movie is going to come from before 1930.
    Probably directed by F W Murnau, D W Griffith, Fritz Lang, or one of their peers.

Just about everything you see now was innovated before 1930.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the insights, guys, but I still have great faith in The Terminator, if only for Arnie himself.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most influential movie is going to come from before 1930.
    Probably directed by F W Murnau, D W Griffith, Fritz Lang, or one of their peers.

Just about everything you see now was innovated before 1930.

The key relationship between sound, vision and text wasn't fully realised until the 1940s/50s I would tactfully suggest. That is to say the majority of cinematic techniques were already well advanced by 1930 but the critical understanding of the meaning of film as an art form took much longer.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It depends on what aspects of film you think are influential? Some will consider the technical aspects of film such as cinematography, screenplay, special effects etc. Other critics or cinema goers will pay attention to the content of film such as themes, script or acting performance as key aspects of film.

In terms of music score, surely Hitchcock's can be considered as very influential? Bernard Hermann's score for Psycho, Vertigo, Rear Window amongst others heightened the drama and tension for the psychological thriller.

In terms of acting performance, I would say Scorsese's movies were the most inspiring. The character was brought to life by the method acting style of Robert De Niro. Particular examples being Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, The King of Comedy and Goodfellas highlighting the importance of performance in allowing the audience to empathise with the character and understanding the themes of crime, poverty, wealth and loss of wealth eyc. Themes that Scorsese depicted in his work.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    The key relationship between sound, vision and text wasn't fully realised until the 1940s/50s I would tactfully suggest. That is to say the majority of cinematic techniques were already well advanced by 1930 but the critical understanding of the meaning of film as an art form took much longer.

I don't agree with that at all.
    That's like saying all those films were just technique, and didn't cut it as an art form.
    I think you could take the best films from any era and they would compare very favourably against each other head to head.

I also think it implies that film as an art form needs sound. That may be true if your tastes lie with modern styles of film making. However the lack of sound was more than made up with by means of communicating in different ways.
    Styles change, but it doesn't mean that older styles are inferior to the latest trends.