Apple iPhone 6 appreciation thread

Comments

• Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    kidspud wrote: »
    Again, to me it depends on how they achieve the outcome. If a new process, or a major improvement on a current process has been used, they is definately innovation.

Yes. An innovative process or technique may have been in place.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    swordman wrote: »
    No that would be an invention, no such glass presently exsists

I thought the new sapphire crystal display on the iPhone 6 was scratch resistant? Well according to Marques Brownlee it is on his Youtube tests.
  • swordmanswordman Posts: 6,679
    Forum Member
    Scratch resistant and 100% scratch proof are different
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Scratch resistant and 100% scratch proof are different

The 100% sapphire crystal home button seems to be totally scratch proof but it would be too expensive to have a completely sapphire crystal screen.
    Forum Member
    It's not, although very tough, making it bigger poses other issues aside from simple cost too.
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I thought the new sapphire crystal display on the iPhone 6 was scratch resistant? Well according to Marques Brownlee it is on his Youtube tests.

It is scratch resistant, but we will all have to wait and see just how scratch resistant it is. I'm sure apple will have run tests to see how sapphire glass performs. If sapphire glass is to brittle or performs badly Apple just want use it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not, although very tough, making it bigger poses other issues aside from simple cost too.

Yes indeed as 100% crystal sapphire wouldn't be flexible enough. I think the new screen should be scratch resistant enough for most people. Of course there are idiots out there who will try to prove otherwise by deliberately trying to smash it onto the ground, hammering it and setting fire to it.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No that would be an invention, no such glass presently exsists

If glass already exists, what would have been invented? If they invented a new material, that might be an invention. But coming up with a way to treat glass that already exists would be closer to innovation.

If Nescafe improve the flavour of their coffee, have they invented "nicer tasting coffee", or have they come up with some innovative way to make their coffee taste nicer?
    Forum Member
    That would not be an improvement, making it tougher or more resistant, they are actually accomplishing what would be the holy grail a glass that is totally impervious. It would no longer be a tough glass or tougher glass it would be the invention of the perfect glass impervious to marking.

Innovation as a way to deliver the same thing better could be applied to anything within reason if you follow your logic, but in this instance such a glass would be an invention. I suppose you could say innovative for mobile phone manufacturers to put it on their phones but the production of such a revolutionary glass would be an invention.

However given it will; unlikely happen another pointless discussion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So glass that was scratch proof would no longer actually be glass - it would be some new material. Got it.

So how about Gorilla Glass. Is that an invention, or an innovative way of making already invented glass more durable?
    Forum Member
    No surprise that statement came along dear me, although if you wish to be pedantic is gorilla etc technically glass?

Gorilla glass would be an invention i would say, not looked into too much depends where it came from and what other things such as mineral offered. However each version are just innovations yes until that goal of impervious glass is ever reached. As they will no longer be offering stages of tougher glass but a glass that is impervious.

If a phone had a plastic screen and not glass is that innovation or invention. after all it could be argued it is just another way for a transparent substance to be used to view information.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think any pedantry started at post 50.

If its the same material, and its merely innovation when it its 60, 70, 80, 90% scratch resistant, I don't really follow why it suddenly becomes an invention when it reaches 100%.
    Forum Member
    yes this glass will scratch when you do this, this glass won't scratch unless you do this on and on to varying degrees. Until when someone says do what you like this glass won't scratch that is different.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So if someone comes up with a glass that is 90% scratch resistant....

...they haven't invented 90% Scratch Resistant Glass.

But if someone comes up with a glass that is 100% scratch resistant....

...they have invented 100% Scratch Resistant Glass?

I don't mean to be pedantic, I just don't think that's a very consistent view to adopt.
    Forum Member
    No your being pedantic and we are back on the merry go round. Everything is an actual invention technically whatever it is. So all levels of gorilla glass have to be invented.

What you are saying is whatever they come up with it is still a piece of glass so doesn't count as an invention it is all just innovation, that is not a consistent view.

I say and this is my view that all levels of tough glass are innovation - they are all variations of the same thing just a bit tougher- until there comes a point when it is indestructible then that is different.

These conversations with you get so tiresome with your consent picking and "so what you're saying" posts.

My last point on this to cover that we may be talking about different views. This needs to be seen in the context of it's use, so Apple for example wouldn't invent this glass so technically their use of it would only be innovation if you want to be very pedantic.

I have nothing further to add on your 100% gorilla glass.
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    It's not the glass that is the invention , but processes and techniques to produce tougher glass are invented.

Drop forged steel is still steel, is just toughened via a manufacturing process that was developed or invented to solve a problem.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It now looks like the iPhone 6 display may not be sapphire:

[Someone] rubbed the iPhone 6 screen with two types of sandpaper that are softer than sapphire according to the Mohs scale of mineral hardness, and succeeded in scratching it.

Read more: iPhone 6 sapphire display: is Apple cutting costs with composite materials? | News | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/389899/iphone-6-sapphire-display-is-apple-cutting-costs-with-composite-materials#ixzz386SAZAMC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another leak today suggest Apple is getting ready for its largest ever initial production run of the iPhone.
    Citing "people familiar with the matter", the Wall Street Journal claimed the company has asked suppliers to make between 70 million and 80 million iPhone units by 30 December.

Read more: iPhone 6 may feature light up Apple logo | News | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/389923/iphone-6s-apple-logo-may-light-up-for-notifications#ixzz38C2ASISJ
  • Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Another leak today suggest Apple is getting ready for its largest ever initial production run of the iPhone.
    Citing "people familiar with the matter", the Wall Street Journal claimed the company has asked suppliers to make between 70 million and 80 million iPhone units by 30 December.

Read more: iPhone 6 may feature light up Apple logo | News | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/389923/iphone-6s-apple-logo-may-light-up-for-notifications#ixzz38C2ASISJ

Have I read that correctly that apple are going to put a notification LED on the underneath of the handset ?

Surely if they do that's putting "style" over "functionality" ???
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stuart_h wrote: »
    Have I read that correctly that apple are going to put a notification LED on the underneath of the handset ?

Surely if they do that's putting "style" over "functionality" ???

I would agree that if true, it seems rather silly. Quite apart from the fact that the back of the phone is just a generally stupid place for such a thing, a lot of people put their phones in cases anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

[Someone] rubbed the iPhone 6 screen with two types of sandpaper that are softer than sapphire according to the Mohs scale of mineral hardness, and succeeded in scratching it.

Read more: iPhone 6 sapphire display: is Apple cutting costs with composite materials? | News | PC Pro http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/389899/iphone-6-sapphire-display-is-apple-cutting-costs-with-composite-materials#ixzz386SAZAMC

I hope that means that they are available easier this time on release than last time which was pathetic.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,062
    Forum Member

It was Marques Brownlee again. He decided to have another go at damaging the screen and this time succeeded.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this will potentially be the best Iphone ever to be honest. I mean it will be a massive upgrade and I'm sure the majority here will agree. If ever there was a phone that would sway people over to Apple it will be this one. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A widely circulating rumour is that the larger device will follow later. Whether that is down to manufacturing issues with thr larger screen, who knows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like there's going to be a 6c phone as well.