Fairer Voting System

Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
Forum Member
I have been talking to one of my colleagues at work who has been moaning about UKIP not getting enough seats.

I pointed out to him that PR would involve permanent coalition governments where the manifestos would be watered down.

He agrees that he does not want that but he is adamant that there must be a fairer way of doing it without risking permanent coalition governments.

When I tell him that there is no way (without throwing away democracy) he tells me that there must be and that all it needs is some people who are cleverer than we are to work it out.

So can anyone tell me what kind of system would be fairer and not involve permanent coalition governments.

Comments

• glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cake and eating it springs to mind...
  • BanglaRoadBanglaRoad Posts: 57,561
    Forum Member
    Look at the Scottish system. There is an excellent explanation in the Scottish election thread.
  • MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my view we have to make a decision whats more important to us, fairer representative democracy where in every party gets accurate representation with the high risk of coalitions at every single election (a party would need 50%+ to win a majority under a truly proportional system which seems very very unlikely in the near future) , or we stick with a system that gives clear advantage to the party that secures the most votes and disproportionately gives them more seats so that we don't have coalitions very often and therefore more "stable" government.

Its not a question that has an easy answer in my opinion there are good points from both sides of the argument.
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    BanglaRoad wrote: »
    Look at the Scottish system. There is an excellent explanation in the Scottish election thread.

The strength of the Holyrood system, is that it keeps the FPTP constituency link and each voter can also raise concerns with any of the list MSPs for their region, who can represent a variety of parties as they are elected by proportional vote.

I know that the party which gets most constituency votes in any region has more difficulty qualifying for a
    list MSP, although I'm unclear about the formula for this part.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I can't see the problem with coalition governments as it waters down party ideologicial ideas and should ensure that only the best ideas that benefit the country get implemented and not ones that a party just wants for their own reasons.

As for a system I like the German 2 vote system - each constitiuency has 2 MP's - one is voted in FPTP like here in the UK the 2nd is allocated by PR so you get two votes - one for the MP you want locally and one for the party you want in power, which also has the advantage that you can vote for a particulary good MP locally even if they're from a party you dislike eg. you dislike the Tories but have a very good Tory MP is works hard for your constituency, so you could vote for him locally and then the party whose policies you agree with nationally. It also wouldn't need a change in the number of MP's you'd just double the constituency size eg. Portsmouth instead of Portsmouth North and Portsmouth South.
  • AiramAiram Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    The Scots voter has also 2 votes - one for a constituency MSP and one on a separate ballot paper for a party.

All votes are important. The 2007-2011 government had one more MSP than the next largest party and ran a full term minority government.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Scottish system isn't perfect (I dislike any form of party list system) but it is better than most other forms of PR. At least it maintains the constituency link.

I'm just not clear what happens when a "top up" MSP dies or resigns. Is there are regional by-election or are they replaced by the next person on the list?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The root of this problem is the English outside London...unlike the Scots, Welsh, Irish & Londoners...they are far too thick or not to be trusted with a different system of voting...except for when they are electing a Crime Commissioner, an MEP and those towns which elect a Mayor.

;-)
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I want a local MP accountable to local voters. Not some unaccountable party favourite on a PR list. MPs should be decided by voters not party officials
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meepers wrote: »
    I want a local MP accountable to local voters. Not some unaccountable party favourite on a PR list. MPs should be decided by voters not party officials

Are you claiming that no other, more proportional, system can retain the link between MP and local constituency? If so, you're wrong.
    Forum Member

Go and read the explanation posted earlier about the Scottish system.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you claiming that no other, more proportional, system can retain the link between MP and local constituency? If so, you're wrong.

We don't deal in fact on here...never mind the reality that some more proportional forms of voting are already in use across the whole the whole of the UK now :D
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Plenty of countries are run successfully under a coalition governement - Germany immediately springs to mind and the Scandinavian countries too.

Our "democratic" system hasn't made us a better run country has it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    Plenty of countries are run successfully under a coalition governement - Germany immediately springs to mind and the Scandinavian countries too.

If anything the reverse :(
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    I pointed out to him that PR would involve permanent coalition governments where the manifestos would be watered down.

He agrees that he does not want that but he is adamant that there must be a fairer way of doing it without risking permanent coalition governments.
    I suggest you return to your colleague and apologise for feeding him a load of BS.

There is nothing about PR that mandates permanent coalition governments.

If none of the parties concerned can achieve a majority of the vote share, that is their fault, not the system's.

Nobody should get a majority government without a mandate, the mandate being the majority of people voting for them. And 'majority' is NOT the same as 'largest minority'.

Besides, a coalition government is always preferable to having dangerous, extremist minority parties like Labour and the Tories running amok.
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meanwhile, today's Electoral Reform Society publication The 2015 General Election - a Voting System in Crisis makes for depressing reading.

In one UK constituency, the winning candidate polled 24.5% of the vote. The lowest for a winning candidate ever. With a 60% turnout there, the MP was elected with just 14.5% share of the total electorate.
  • TequilaTequila Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    Nick1966 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, today's Electoral Reform Society publication The 2015 General Election - a Voting System in Crisis makes for depressing reading.

In one UK constituency, the winning candidate polled 24.5% of the vote. The lowest for a winning candidate ever. With a 60% turnout there, the MP was elected with just 14.5% share of the total electorate.

South Belfast?
  • Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    Clarisse76 wrote: »
    I suggest you return to your colleague and apologise for feeding him a load of BS.

There is nothing about PR that mandates permanent coalition governments.

If none of the parties concerned can achieve a majority of the vote share, that is their fault, not the system's.

Nobody should get a majority government without a mandate, the mandate being the majority of people voting for them. And 'majority' is NOT the same as 'largest minority'.

Besides, a coalition government is always preferable to having dangerous, extremist minority parties like Labour and the Tories running amok.

In theory you are correct. However in practice it is very rare for a PR system to produce a single party majority government in the UK parliament. In fact it has not happened in this country since the 2nd World War.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »

How would you feel about having a Conservative-UKIP coalition now? They got 49.5% of the vote between them across the UK (and 55.1% in England)
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

But you still have the constituency MP under the systems used for the Scottish and Welsh parliaments and the London Assembly - with a PR top up to make it more representative of the total vote.

If it's good enough for Scotland, Wales, London - and Germany - why can't we have this top up electoral system for the UK.

Certainly beats having a majority government again which two thirds of us didn't vote for!

Unless you are lucky to have a Frank Field or Kate Hoey or Peter Bone or Zac Goldsmith most of these constituency MPs just vote the party whip line 99 per cent of the time - so are hardly any more independent than a list MP would be.
    Forum Member
    Old Man 43 wrote: »
    In theory you are correct. However in practice it is very rare for a PR system to produce a single party majority government in the UK parliament. In fact it has not happened in this country since the 2nd World War.

It happened in 2011 at the Holyrood election
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who choses your local MP? Yep the local party, so whomever stands is chosen by the party not the locals, and there is also no guarantee it's a local that stands as quite often party favourites who fail elsewhere can be parachuted in, especially if its a safe seat - look at Boris for example, he used to represent a lIverpool constituency now he represents a London one he chose to stand for which was a pretty safe bet to get him elected. Personally I'd like to see a rule brought in that to be allowed to stand to represent a constituency you should have lived there since before the previous election to stop parachuting in favourites and letting them chose safe seats.
  • cdtaylor_natscdtaylor_nats Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Scottish system has one major weakness, the list MPs mean its very hard to oust an MP.
  • Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Scottish system has one major weakness, the list MPs mean its very hard to oust an MP.

The same weakness as the FPTP elections to the Westminster parliament. It's hard to oust an MP, too.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as everyone gets richer, a one party state would suffice.