Real life mysteries that have intrigued and baffled you

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'll post my "mystery" from when I was a kid.

One year when my family and I came back from our usual two week holiday, I went up to my room after obtaining the key from my dad (we locked all of the doors whenever we went) the door was still very much locked but the sliding door from the storage part under my bed was broken off and propped up against the radiator.

Would still love to know what happened in there :confused::D
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Revelation that the Grand Jury voted to indict parents of Jonbenet Ramsay.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24675182
    A Colorado grand jury was prepared to charge the parents of a slain six-year-old beauty queen in her death, newly released court documents in the 17-year-old murder case show.
    The panel voted in 1999 to charge JonBenet Ramsey's parents with fatal child abuse and "accessory to a crime".

The documents allege the couple placed their daughter "in a situation which posed a threat of injury to the child's life or health" which led to her death, and then helped the killer evade discovery and prosecution.

Alex Hunter, the Boulder County district attorney at the time, declined to sign the indictments, effectively dropping the charges.
    "I and my prosecutorial team believe we do not have sufficient evidence to warrant the filing of charges against anyone who has been investigated at this time," Alex Hunter, the Boulder County district attorney, said in 1999.
    Analysts say it is uncommon for a district attorney not to sign off on a grand jury decision.
  • Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Means little really, as one judge famously said, a prosecutor has such influence they could get the grand jury to indict a ham sandwich :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    I remember one case from the BBC's "Missing" show aeons ago...

There were two middle-aged men who went on a fishing trip to France together and were (to my knowledge) never seen again...

One of the men was Scottish: his wife was interviewed and was (obviously) distraught.

A journalist (from The Sun?) was also interviewed and didn't appear to be too convinced by the fishing story.

I remember trying to look for info online but not being able to find too much, and I've forgotten the names of the men...
  • ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,165
    Forum Member
    Hands up to not reading the whole thread, it's far too long, but my mystery simply has to be why Bruce Forsyth is still presenting SCD or, indeed, any other televised programme. Why, in the name of the Lord, is this man still allowed on TV when he can't even deliver a joke when read from an autocue?

The time has come, as it does to many, for this dinosaur to retire and to do it gracefully before he's pushed.

Do I watch SCD? No. Why? Because Brucie is still there, making a prat of himself on a regular basis. :mad:
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bruce Forsyth is super annoying. I almost feel scared for admitting that because people seem to bang on about his age. But age doesn't demand respect, not that I disrespect him, he actually seems an alright guy but something just appears fake and just all scripted (on SCD anyway).

I hate hate hate hate hate hate HATE the "jokes" he does. :mad:
  • whatsername235whatsername235 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    Apologies if this one has been mentioned.

A few years back I was watching missing people on bbc1 and there was one about a teenage boy from Kent I think it was, who is now missing..

The CCTV footage they have found shows him driving trough the town (possibly Rochester) and that's it he's vanishes.

Nothing has ever been found, but they said the car he was driving was a limited editon fiesta, there are only so many in the country but again no trace of the car has been traced or found...

I found the whole story quite upsetting as his dad and little sister where making the appeal and the mum was too upset to appear...

I can't find anything about it now though.

Anyone else heard of this case?

Bit of a late reply but this sounds like the one you're looking for
    http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/police_renew_appeal_for_missing_medway_man_1_1055167

There doesn't seem to be any progress with this unfortunately.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have my own little mystery. There are two sounds that I hear in this house which I haven't found a source for. One is the sound of my laptop being shut (as in the lid being put down) which I always hear at least once when I'm trying to get the sleep. The other is the sound of someone sniffing, which I hear even when I'm alone. The obvious culprit of the laptop snap is the pipes or heating, but it's always one isolated snap and it sounds nothing like the sounds that I KNOW are coming from the pipes (a clicking and a creaking). I heard them even in the summer when the heating was off and no hot water was running.

As for the sniffing, I have no idea.
    I would love to know the source of them! Any ideas?

It's the radiators/heating system, we have the same thing here :)
  • Dream_catcherDream_catcher Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    Yes. Never knew where i stood on that one. The three theories were either a stranger broke in, the parents did it or the brother did it. We will probably never know.

I have always wondered what happened to this little girl. With the case appearing in the media again I have been searching the web for stuff about the case. I was watching the film based on this case via youtube "A perfect murder in a perfect town." Some things I didn't know about.
    One thing I wondered about was Jonbenet's brother Burke. Had the pair of them been playing and Burke and Jonbenet gone down to the basement and Burke decided to play at kidnappers and tie his sister up and write a ransom note but maybe pulled the ligature around her neck to too tight? Everybody like the mother and father and their friends all had to do a sample of their handwriting but I didn't see Burke giving any handwriting to do? Could it have been death by misadventure? I haven't read any theory suggesting this its just one of my take's on it.
  • mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Everybody like the mother and father and their friends all had to do a sample of their handwriting but I didn't see Burke giving any handwriting to do? Could it have been death by misadventure? I haven't read any theory suggesting this its just one of my take's on it.

I remember reading that there were some very particular turns of phrase in the ransom note that correlated with something one or other of the parents said in another letter. Very odd either way, that poor little girl.
  • bronsonbronson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mellybumps wrote: »
    I remember reading that there were some very particular turns of phrase in the ransom note that correlated with something one or other of the parents said in another letter. Very odd either way, that poor little girl.

My theory is that Burke the son killed her by accident/foul play....the parents discovered her and fearing that he would go to jail/youthdetention centre they decided to pretend it was a kidnapping with a ransom demand....the ransom letter was imo written by the mother....it had the exact bonus money that the husband received as a ransom demand and other odd wording that indicated that it was her.

They didn't want to lose both children.
  • mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    bronson wrote: »
    My theory is that Burke the son killed her by accident/foul play....the parents discovered her and fearing that he would go to jail/youthdetention centre they decided to pretend it was a kidnapping with a ransom demand....the ransom letter was imo written by the mother....it had the exact bonus money that the husband received as a ransom demand and other odd wording that indicated that it was her.

That sounds feasible, horrible situation either way.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bronson wrote: »

I agree, the son angle hasn't been investigated at all , dismissed as a theory almost immediately.
    However, the taser/stun gun marks on the girl's body and the signs of a break-in in the basement make me go with the intruder theory.
    Would a young lad really know how to make a effective garrote using a paint brush handle ?
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On October 20, 2012, thirty-eight year old mother of four, Vindalee Smith was found dead in her Brooklyn home with a gaping wound in her neck. Smith was eight months pregnant and was going to get married the next day. Her fiancé was Anthony Jackman, who was already married. Under her body was a computer printed note saying: “I will kill one pregnant woman a month starting now until Lee Boyd Malvo is set free!” The note was signed “the apprentice” along with a smiley face.

Malvo along with John Allen Muhammad were the D.C. Snipers who were responsible for the death of ten people. Police believe the note was used to throw investigators off. No one has been arrested in connection with the death.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always wondered what happened to this little girl. With the case appearing in the media again I have been searching the web for stuff about the case. I was watching the film based on this case via youtube "A perfect murder in a perfect town." Some things I didn't know about.
    One thing I wondered about was Jonbenet's brother Burke. Had the pair of them been playing and Burke and Jonbenet gone down to the basement and Burke decided to play at kidnappers and tie his sister up and write a ransom note but maybe pulled the ligature around her neck to too tight? Everybody like the mother and father and their friends all had to do a sample of their handwriting but I didn't see Burke giving any handwriting to do? Could it have been death by misadventure? I haven't read any theory suggesting this its just one of my take's on it.

On the Internet this was a big theory for a long time that eventually petered out. I doubt that Burke at 9 would use the word " hence" in a ransom note. The writer was most likely an adult and one who had a complex sentence structure that was difficult to duplicate.
  • Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How The Great British Bake Off gets 9 million viewers is a mystery without parallel.

It's like watching bread go mouldy, yet duller.
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone heard of Benjaman Kyle? In the early morning hours of August 31, 2004, a middle-aged man was found unconscious, lying beside some dumpsters at a Georgia Burger King. The man was presumed homeless and showed signs of blunt force trauma to his skull. When recovered, he did not recognize his own face, and he had no identification on him or even the slightest inkling as to who he was.

Initially dubbed “BK” for “Burger King,” he has since chosen the name Benjaman Kyle (insisting that the odd spelling of "Benjaman" felt familiar). Believed to be in his mid-sixties, Kyle is a bald Caucasian man, granted the dubious honor of being the only American citizen listed as missing even though he lives in the public eye. He has been diagnosed with dissociative amnesia, which, nearly 10 years later, seems like it may be permanent. In a world where no communication appears secure, Kyle remains a phantom. His fingerprints have been run through every available database, including those controlled by the FBI, US military, and government. DNA tests seem to provide no clues other than to indicate Scottish ancestry. He has appeared in innumerable newspaper articles and interviews on both television and radio, including a high-profile appearance on Dr. Phil in 2008.

Today, Benjaman Kyle washes dishes for a living, and no one is any closer to determining who he really is.
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    Anyone heard of Benjaman Kyle’? In the early morning hours of August 31, 2004, a middle-aged man was found unconscious, lying beside some dumpsters at a Georgia Burger King. The man was presumed homeless and showed signs of blunt force trauma to his skull. When recovered, he did not recognize his own face, and he had no identification on him or even the slightest inkling as to who he was.

Initially dubbed “BK” for “Burger King,” he has since chosen the name Benjaman Kyle. Believed to be in his mid-sixties, Kyle is a bald Caucasian man, granted the dubious honor of being the only American citizen listed as missing even though he lives in the public eye. He has been diagnosed with dissociative amnesia, which, nearly 10 years later, seems like it may be permanent. In a world where no communication appears secure, Kyle remains a phantom. His fingerprints have been run through every available database, including those controlled by the FBI, US military, and government. DNA tests seem to provide no clues other than to indicate Scottish ancestry. He has appeared in innumerable newspaper articles and interviews on both television and radio, including a high-profile appearance on Dr. Phil in 2008.

Today, Benjaman Kyle washes dishes for a living, and no one is any closer to determining who he really is.

how bizarre
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's an Ohio man who was declared dead, re-emerged after 27 years and the courts can't overrule his 'death'!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-24486718
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm unsure if this one has been posted already, however I just came across it today.

The body of 21-year old Elisa Lam was found dead in a sealed water tank on top of the Cecil Hotel in LA back in February. Access to the roof is locked, and alarmed. The creepy thing about this whole case, is the video footage of her in the lift a few moments before she lost her life.

Definitely a mystery.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantreport/mysterious-case-elisa-lam/
  • JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    TomGrant wrote: »
    I'm unsure if this one has been posted already, however I just came across it today.

The body of 21-year old Elisa Lam was found dead in a sealed water tank on top of the Cecil Hotel in LA back in February. Access to the roof is locked, and alarmed. The creepy thing about this whole case, is the video footage of her in the lift a few moments before she lost her life.

Definitely a mystery.

http://vigilantcitizen.com/vigilantreport/mysterious-case-elisa-lam/

Wow, that video is really very creepy. :eek:

It does look like she is maybe on something, but they found no evidence of drugs or alcohol in her system. Maybe mental health issues, leading to suicide? Very strange story.

How horrible that they found her body after guests complained about the taste and colour of the water! Grim.

And the history of the hotel is fascinating. The whole story reminds me of The Shining. :eek:
  • TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    Wow, that video is really very creepy. :eek:

It does look like she is maybe on something, but they found no evidence of drugs or alcohol in her system. Maybe mental health issues, leading to suicide? Very strange story.

How horrible that they found her body after guests complained about the taste and colour of the water! Grim.

And the history of the hotel is fascinating. The whole story reminds me of The Shining. :eek:

It's horrible huh? I was waiting for something to come screaming into the lift!

I've since read that she was supposedly bi-polar, so that could have something to do with the strange behaviour.

It still baffles me how she got onto the roof, and into the water tank without anyones knowledge! :eek::confused:
  • nittynattynoonittynattynoo Posts: 891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of a late reply but this sounds like the one you're looking for
    http://www.kentnews.co.uk/news/police_renew_appeal_for_missing_medway_man_1_1055167

There doesn't seem to be any progress with this unfortunately.

Thanks for that... How sad :-(
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Ive always wondered if there was any truth in the sightings of big cats (Pumas, panthers etc.) at large in Britain. The stories have existed for at least as long as I have been alive - given that the cats in question can survive for several decades - but they do seem to have been on the wane in the current climate of every mobile doubling as a camera.

Or maybe they have met their natural deaths.

The 1976 Dangerous Wild Animals Act made it an offence to keep big cats without a licence, so many of the animals that it had become fashionable to keep as pets in the 60s and 70s were simply released into the wild by their owners. Most of those probably have died by now.
  • _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    Do they actually happen is the question I would like answered. :)

There was a program with Michael Aspel (Strange but True?) that had some cases where people claimed to have time slipped. What always struck me was that they managed to buy a meal in a country pub and were taken aback by the cheap price, concluding that they must have travelled far into the past, whereas if I try to spend last year's notes I'm told that I have to go to the bank and get them changed.