Options

is britney spears the most well known female popstar?

Comments

• Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Was, now that crown lands on Rihanna and Gaga.

No, the crown stays with Madonna until she herself hands it down!

Lady Gaga already has a title and who wants a role model like Rihanna, good as she is she surely lost credibility when she took back her bully boyfriend!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If by most well known you mean recognised by the most people despite what age they are, then it has to be Madonna.

Britney Spears is probably next, followed by Lady Gaga.

Unfortunately, only Madonna is well known mainly because of her music. Britney is better known recently for going of the rails and Lady Gaga is well known because she wears strange clothes.

Ask most people over 40 to recognise any of the other generic pop stars (Beyonce, Rhianna etc) and they would have trouble.

However, on a side point, maybe Jessie J is becoming more well known because of the voice.

I am over 40 and I've heard of Rihanna, ( look, I even spelt her name correctly!)Katy Perry, Gaga,Beyonce, Jessie J as well as Madonna, Britney and Kylie!

Don't be so ageist!
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great that's 2 people over 40 who have heard of them, who also happen to post regularly on a music forum which constantly has threads about these peole.

What a great cross section of the British public!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    While Britney is up there as being one of the most well known I’d say Madonna is the one with the legacy that every other female pop star is still striving to equal or surpass.

In regards to the age issue, my mother knows the likes of Rihanna, Beyonce, Katy Perry and Lady Gaga and she’s in her 60’s, she even went to one of Lady Gaga’s concerts!
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great that's 2 people over 40 who have heard of them, who also happen to post regularly on a music forum which constantly has threads about these peole.

What a great cross section of the British public!

Yes I owe all my musical knowledge to reading on the DS forums , Life before I joined DS back in 2002 was a huge musical black hole :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    Yes I owe all my musical knowledge to reading on the DS forums , Life before I joined DS back in 2002 was a huge musical black hole :rolleyes:

So you don't think that people who specific look for music related forums will have more interest and music in music than those who don't.

Jesus, a few anicdotal comments about how you, your mum or gran has heard of some pop star PROVES NOTHING.

Lets go on a non music related forum and find out how many people have heard of them, then see what the results are!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So you don't think that people who specific look for music related forums will have more interest and music in music than those who don't.

Jesus, a few anicdotal comments about how you, your mum or gran has heard of some pop star PROVES NOTHING.

Lets go on a non music related forum and find out how many people have heard of them, then see what the results are!

Of course it proves something, it proves that not all over 40s are out of touch with the music scene.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course it proves something, it proves that not all over 40s are out of touch with the music scene.

Please show me in the dictionary where it says that most has the same definition as all :rolleyes:

Also please read my original post, I said most wouldn't recognise those popstars, I didn't say they wouldn't have heard of the music. Surely part of being famous is being recognised by a large proportion of the population.
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It proves you have a lot to learn .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Please show me in the dictionary where it says that most has the same definition as all :rolleyes:

Also please read my original post, I said most wouldn't recognise those popstars, I didn't say they wouldn't have heard of the music. Surely part of being famous is being recognised by a large proportion of the population.

There's really no need to roll your eyes at me, I never said all and most were the same thing I just said that I personally have heard of these popstars and am of the age group you mentioned so I am definitely not one of your 'most' and I did spell Rihanna's name correctly you spelt it as Rhianna which is incorrect in her case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's really no need to roll your eyes at me, I never said all and most were the same thing I just said that I personally have heard of these popstars and am of the age group you mentioned so I am definitely not one of your 'most' and I did spell Rihanna's name correctly you spelt it as Rhianna which is incorrect in her case.

And when did I even say you were one of the most?????

The trouble with some people on this forum is they get offended far too easily!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and who really gives a sh*t if I spelt that Rhianna's name wrong????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And when did I even say you were one of the most?????

The trouble with some people on this forum is they get offended far too easily!

People wouldn't get offended if people weren't disrespectful and rude.

You didn't say that I was one of the 'most' I was just pointing out the fact that I wasn't one of the 'most' and there's nothing wrong in that!
  • Options
    umr3000umr3000 Posts: 1,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once the likes of Rihanna, Katy Perry and Lady GaGa are in the third decade of their careers then you can compare them to Britney Spears! All these singers have such a long way to go yet to prove their staying power and longevity.

Britney has truly stood the test of time and has enjoyed worldwide success and acclaim for 15 years now..... not bad for a girl who was once touted as a 'one hit wonder'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    More people will know Britney than any of the others due to the sheer amount of time she's been on the scene, same for Madonna.
  • Options
    dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just to throw another name into the mix Kylie Minogue
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    Everyone form you nan to your little sister knows Baby One More time and not forgetting the outfit :p

Exactly :p
    Eric_Blob wrote: »
    I think Britney is more well-known with my age group (I'm 21). But as another poster mentioned, all the really old people seem to know Lady Gaga, whilst people like Britney, Rihanna, etc. are mainly known by the younger generation and their parents's generation (but not grandparents, etc.).

Baby One More Time at least is probably known by everybody. And also Oops I Did it Again and Toxic are very famous. Lady Gaga doesn't have any songs as famous as those, but I think her image is more famous. I feel like people have forgotten now, but remember 2009? Her record label did absolutely everything possible to make sure everybody knew who Lady Gaga is. Biggest promotional campaign I've seen for a pop star ever.

My mum is in her 60s and dad is 70 and they both know Britney, Rihanna, Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. In fact dad even listens to Britney songs from time to time :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    umr3000 wrote: »
    Once the likes of Rihanna, Katy Perry and Lady GaGa are in the third decade of their careers then you can compare them to Britney Spears! All these singers have such a long way to go yet to prove their staying power and longevity.

Britney has truly stood the test of time and has enjoyed worldwide success and acclaim for 15 years now..... not bad for a girl who was once touted as a 'one hit wonder'.

:confused:
  • Options
    GagaKeshaMinajGagaKeshaMinaj Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Age wise, I do believe that Lady Gaga is the most well known as (previously stated) old people, middle people and young people know (of) her at least.
    Madonna for old and middle but not for young and everyone else not for the old :))

So Lady Gaga I would say is the most well-known :)
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    :confused:

I think they mean Britney has released songs in 90s, 00s, 10s (three decades) as opposed to three decades being 30 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will say again Kylie Minogue, more people know her, or are we limited in who we can mention?
  • Options
    HelloRainHelloRain Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rihanna is not more famous that Britney Spears. Britney Spears is nearly always the first name that pops into people's head when 'pop star' is mentioned because she's an archetype. Like Michael Jackson, she's represents the epitome of what it is to be a pop superstar. Every time a female pop star from another country is discussed, they're invariably referred to as 'The Britney Spears of [insert country here]'. She's an icon, Rihanna's not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as I have contributed twice and been ignored, I feel I can now say, who the f*ck cares?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    I will say again Kylie Minogue, more people know her, or are we limited in who we can mention?

Yes Kylie is very well known and comes to mind often, she is right behind Madonna for the 'older people'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    as I have contributed twice and been ignored, I feel I can now say, who the f*ck cares?

I just quoted your post.