Options

POLL: What is your favourite Patrick Troughton story?

Chris_HobbsChris_Hobbs Posts: 565
Forum Member
✭✭
I am running a number of polls to discover the favourite story for each Doctor. This one is for the Second Doctor.

Please note this does include lost episodes as they still remain in audio.

This poll will be open for 7 days.

What is your favourite Patrick Troughton story? 93 votes

The Power of the Daleks
3% 3 votes
The Highlanders
0% 0 votes
The Underwater Menace
0% 0 votes
The Moonbase
1% 1 vote
The Macra Terror
2% 2 votes
The Faceless Ones
1% 1 vote
The Evil of the Daleks
2% 2 votes
The Tomb of the Cybermen
16% 15 votes
The Abominable Snowmen
2% 2 votes
The Ice Warriors
0% 0 votes
The Enemy of the World
5% 5 votes
The Web of Fear
24% 23 votes
Fury from the Deep
0% 0 votes
The Wheel in Space
0% 0 votes
The Dominators
2% 2 votes
The Mind Robber
11% 11 votes
The Invasion
6% 6 votes
The Krotons
1% 1 vote
The Seeds of Death
5% 5 votes
The Space Pirates
0% 0 votes
The War Games
15% 14 votes

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The poll should now be available for this.
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are so many good stories during the Troughton Era, watching through it at the moment and it's thoroughly enjoyable. Despite the fact that I have yet to watch the newly discovered episodes I still rate The Web Of Fear as the absolute example of what the Troughton Era was about.

Monsters, dark tunnels, creepy music, it had it all. A lot of Season Five stories could easily be my fave but this just pips the lot because of those factors.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are so many good stories during the Troughton Era, watching through it at the moment and it's thoroughly enjoyable. Despite the fact that I have yet to watch the newly discovered episodes I still rate The Web Of Fear as the absolute example of what the Troughton Era was about.

Monsters, dark tunnels, creepy music, it had it all. A lot of Season Five stories could easily be my fave but this just pips the lot because of those factors.

I agree. I've seen the trailer for The Web of Fear but I'm waiting for the DVD release before I see it for the first time. It looks amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree. I've seen the trailer for The Web of Fear but I'm waiting for the DVD release before I see it for the first time. It looks amazing.

I'm having some amazing timing's with my run through. I watched The Moonbase as it was released and now The Web Of Fear! I'm looking forward to watching The Enemy Of The World in full next week for the first time as well.

Got to also say the animations of the missing episodes are really good. Just watched The Ice Warriors ones today and they really add something to the story and is better than the telesnaps and they are the next best thing to the real episodes themselves.

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm having some amazing timing's with my run through. I watched The Moonbase as it was released and now The Web Of Fear! I'm looking forward to watching The Enemy Of The World in full next week for the first time as well.

Got to also say the animations of the missing episodes are really good. Just watched The Ice Warriors ones today and they really add something to the story and is better than the telesnaps and they are the next best thing to the real episodes themselves.

I have recently watched the Moonbase, Ice Warriors and Enemy of the World. I actually enjoyed Enemy of the World. Shame Episode 3 of Web is not being animated for the DVD. The BBC are releasing the same thing they did with iTunes. Why did they take so long to release it if they were just including the same stuff?
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After the recent rediscovery it has to be 'Web of Fear'. Great concept and realization, and the final episode has to be one of the most tense in the history of Doctor who.

Rediscovery would probably see 'Power of the Daleks' top it though, one of the very best Doctor who stories, and possibly the best Dalek story.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw this story from beginning to end in late October last year. I believe dailymotion had it on there as well as itunes.
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just had a look on dailymotion and it seems the story has been taken off, so no-one can see it until the DVD release on 24th.

There is a BBC4 trailer, but that's it, it seems. :(
  • Options
    VopiscusVopiscus Posts: 1,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please note this does include lost episodes as they still remain in audio.

And, of course, some of us are old enough to remember them. I've voted for The Macra Terror on the basis of those memories. I have a brother-in-law who was so traumatised by the ending to Episode 2 that he couldn't bear to watch Doctor Who again until its return in 2005.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mind Robber for me. It's the Trout dream team (albeit with a different Jamie for some of the story), it's got Zoe in her catsuit kicking arse and generally it's just something a bit weird and different, particularly for that era.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vopiscus wrote: »
    And, of course, some of us are old enough to remember them. I've voted for The Macra Terror on the basis of those memories. I have a brother-in-law who was so traumatised by the ending to Episode 2 that he couldn't bear to watch Doctor Who again until its return in 2005.
    It's probably lucky his first episode back wasn't Gridlock! :p
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I'm not much of a Hartnell era fan, Troughton's era has so many fantastic stories; it's going to be difficult choosing a favourite.

I thought Power and Evil of the Daleks were both fantastic (even though I was only watching a reconstruction) and I'd go as far as saying Season 5 is the most consistently good series in Doctor Who history: Tomb of the Cybermen, The Abominable Snowmen, The Ice Warriors, The Web of Fear, Fury from the Deep and The Wheel in Space are all brilliant (Can't say I like Enemy of the World too much though). Then we have The Invasion in Season 6 which is another great Troughton story.

Oh dear... this is tough. I think it's going to have to be Power of the Daleks with Evil of the Daleks, Tomb of the Cybermen and The Abominable Snowmen very close behind.
    One of the best possible things that could ever happen would be for all six episodes of Power of the Daleks to be recovered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whilst I'm not much of a Hartnell era fan, Troughton's era has so many fantastic stories; it's going to be difficult choosing a favourite.

I thought Power and Evil of the Daleks were both fantastic (even though I was only watching a reconstruction) and I'd go as far as saying Season 5 is the most consistently good series in Doctor Who history: Tomb of the Cybermen, The Abominable Snowmen, The Ice Warriors, The Web of Fear, Fury from the Deep and The Wheel in Space are all brilliant (Can't say I like Enemy of the World too much though). Then we have The Invasion in Season 6 which is another great Troughton story.

Oh dear... this is tough. I think it's going to have to be Power of the Daleks with Evil of the Daleks, Tomb of the Cybermen and The Abominable Snowmen very close behind.
    One of the best possible things that could ever happen would be for all six episodes of Power of the Daleks to be recovered.

Sorry for making it difficult. If Power of the Daleks and Evil of the Daleks are ever discovered you might have to check that I'm not dreaming.
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Mind Robber gets my vote...like my quirky Who.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im going to say Fury. Not because ive seen it because I havent but the recon was amazing and kept me hooked the whole time.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Evil of the Daleks for me. The Dalek Emperor, the human factor Daleks playing trains with the Doctor, Dalek civil war, Victoria's first story, Jamie's heroics. It may be mostly missing but I really loved that one.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I voted Tomb of Cybermen.

Found it one of the best stories ever IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have recently watched the Moonbase, Ice Warriors and Enemy of the World. I actually enjoyed Enemy of the World. Shame Episode 3 of Web is not being animated for the DVD. The BBC are releasing the same thing they did with iTunes. Why did they take so long to release it if they were just including the same stuff?

Probably because they wanted to milk as much money from ITunes before releasing it? Who knows why the BBC do anything......
    Sorry for making it difficult. If Power of the Daleks and Evil of the Daleks are ever discovered you might have to check that I'm not dreaming.

I don't think you need to apologise for making it difficult. It's just that there's so many good stories in this Era that it is hard to make a choice for some.

I am surprised The War Games(at the time of writing) is in the lead. It's the best story of Season Six for me but it still isn't a patch on the Season 5 stories. Maybe it's because it's fully available on DVD?

Or maybe that's just general opinion, who's to say?

• Options
    Capaldi_CapaldiCapaldi_Capaldi Posts: 227
    Forum Member
    I personally think that Doctor Who, the mystery of it began to unravel as we find out the Doctors a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey. The Only Ten Episode Story and certainly the best Troughton Story.

R.I.P Patrick Troughton
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am surprised The War Games(at the time of writing) is in the lead. It's the best story of Season Six for me but it still isn't a patch on the Season 5 stories. Maybe it's because it's fully available on DVD?

Or maybe that's just general opinion, who's to say?

Well, it's all episodes that are available on DVD that are in the lead, which isn't surprising really. And in fairness, the thread is 'favourite', rather than best. As great as I think Power is, for example, I'd rather watch a very good episode than listen to six episodes of solely audio (or a reconstruction) even if it is a classic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    Well, it's all episodes that are available on DVD that are in the lead, which isn't surprising really. And in fairness, the thread is 'favourite', rather than best. As great as I think Power is, for example, I'd rather watch a very good episode than listen to six episodes of solely audio (or a reconstruction) even if it is a classic.

I wasn't criticising and I do understand the nature of the thread. I just assumed a Season 5 would win it(it may well still do) but I don't have any problems with it if it doesn't. As you say, it is just opinion.

• Options
    JethrykJethryk Posts: 1,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Web of Fear for me, although I also really like all the Cybermen stories except Wheel in Space.
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    I really like the Yetis and the Great Intelligence, so therefore Abominable Snowmen and Web of Fear.
    But Abominable Snowmen just clinches it, although only 1 episode still exists, reading the rest adds to the strange mysteriousness of the story. The Great Intelligence's voice is also delightfully menacing.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't seen Web yet, so voted for Seeds.

The soundtrack CDs lead me towards Power or Fury, but recently watching Enemy really goes to show the difference between soundtrack and viewing.