Options

The Sontarans

2»

Comments

• Options
    QuantumLeapQuantumLeap Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan slipped back into menancing Sontaran with great ease in 'The Name of The Doctor' when The Great Intelligence jumped into The Doctor's time line and was re-writing his history.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dan slipped back into menancing Sontaran with great ease in 'The Name of The Doctor' when The Great Intelligence jumped into The Doctor's time line and was re-writing his history.

Yes he did but for me, it was still like he was playing for laughs.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Since when do the Sontarans in any way, become friends with the Doctor? They hate him, because he always seems to have some way of thwarting their plans. I mean, Strax? Getting pally with the Eleventh Doctor? :o
    The sontarans become friends in any way since this one owed him a debt - and, then, owed Vastra and Jenny a debt.

Just cos he's a sontaran, doesn't mean he's evil. He's vicious, and warlike, but there was a time in the Doctor's life where he had cause to save him. He's an individual as well as a sontaran - he fears death, he's a clone but he's still himself.

Doctor Who should be doing more things like this. For all they talk of the wonders of the universe and personal heroism, there sure are a lot of species who are suggested to have no redeeming features whatsoever. If I were in charge, I'd be moving away from monsters and closer to aliens. In fairness, Moffat's already halfway there - Moffat's aliens are a mix of good and bad, and his antagonists are generally technology gone wrong, only barely sentient, or morally ambiguous. He even had the Doctor working alongside the Silents in the last ep - it's not black and white, any more. Much better.

Sontarans are people, too. They're predisposed to war, and therefore often at odds with the Doctor, but let's not forget Sontar used to be a cultural capital of its galaxy, before war broke out. They used to value creativity and free expression. That potential's still there.
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rwebster wrote: »
    The sontarans become friends in any way since this one owed him a debt - and, then, owed Vastra and Jenny a debt.

Just cos he's a sontaran, doesn't mean he's evil. He's vicious, and warlike, but there was a time in the Doctor's life where he had cause to save him. He's an individual as well as a sontaran - he fears death, he's a clone but he's still himself.

Doctor Who should be doing more things like this. For all they talk of the wonders of the universe and personal heroism, there sure are a lot of species who are suggested to have no redeeming features whatsoever. If I were in charge, I'd be moving away from monsters and closer to aliens. In fairness, Moffat's already halfway there - Moffat's aliens are a mix of good and bad, and his antagonists are generally technology gone wrong, only barely sentient, or morally ambiguous. He even had the Doctor working alongside the Silents in the last ep - it's not black and white, any more. Much better.

Sontarans are people, too. They're predisposed to war, and therefore often at odds with the Doctor, but let's not forget Sontar used to be a cultural capital of its galaxy, before war broke out. They used to value creativity and free expression. That potential's still there.

I think Doctor Who has also been moving away from Ice Warriors being just an enemy, it started in the Curse of Peladon and then Cold War, however, they managed it without the constant comedy. Not saying it should be devoid of humour, just not all the time as with Strax.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Yes he did but for me, it was still like he was playing for laughs.

I've been on record that I don't like the comical way in which the new series Sontarans seem to have been presented but I don't have a problem with Strax as comic relief because a) it's been made clear that Strax is a bit of a one-off atypical Sontaran and b) I think he's really funny!

Like I said earlier in the thread, Dan has voiced several different Sontarans in the Big Finish audios including three at once in the last audio I heard, Starlight Robbery, which, for me, has really redeemed the Sontarans as a credible adversary.

So I think Dan is perfectly capable of making Sontarans credible again, just don't look for that credibility to come from Strax!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Doctor Who has also been moving away from Ice Warriors being just an enemy, it started in the Curse of Peladon and then Cold War, however, they managed it without the constant comedy. Not saying it should be devoid of humour, just not all the time as with Strax.

You're absolutely right, Cold War's another example, emphasis in the SM era. Ice Warriors are capable of mercy, cos they're people too. In Skaldak's case, a slightly boring person, but a person nonetheless. He's got a past, a backstory, he used to sing songs or something or other. I'm liking this. It feels more like the essentially kind and wondrous universe the Doctor promises his companions.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    The Sontarans, I think, have always been a form of satire on the indistinguishable facelessness of the soldier at war, and the jingoistic single-mindedness of the indoctrinated warrior. They deserve to have some fun poked at them, surely?
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never rated the Sontarans from what I've seen of them in Classic Who and didn't much like the Sontaran two-parter in Series 4 of New Who either, but I'm loving Strax, the not very bright Sontaran nurse and Paternoster Gang regular, for his comedic value.
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    The Sontarans, I think, have always been a form of satire on the indistinguishable facelessness of the soldier at war, and the jingoistic single-mindedness of the indoctrinated warrior. They deserve to have some fun poked at them, surely?

Very good point :)
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was watching AGMGTW and was wondering, following Dan Starkey's performance in that and subsequent stories, could the Sontaran's ever be taken seriously again, in particular, Dan Starkey.

Starkey's role on the TSS and TPS was as psychopathic as a Sontaran should be but now, as much as I absolutely love him as part of the Paternoster Gang, as a Sontaran trooper (The Time of the Doctor) he is reduced to comedy entertainment.

What do you think?

I loved his performance in The Sontaran story in Season 3. The one he played there is what a Sontaran should really be like. Death and Glory. Killing for Sport and Honour in Death etc etc.

However, amusing as Strax is, it sort of detracts for me the threat the Sontarans pose. It would have been better if the Sontarans had returned in a full blown adventure of there own to emphasise how different he is to them and to remind people what the main race were originally all about.

:)