Options

Frankie Boyle - is he funny to anyone?

Comments

• Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Absolutely right and very well put!

i remember the Heat 'joke' with the sticker saying 'Harvey ate me' or some such witticism. That was along the same lines and equally as distasteful imo.

It was completely different.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,168
    Forum Member
    radiofan wrote: »
    that's my point, his so called joke is repulsive and distasteful but what really shocks me is that some on this forum haven't picked up on that yet. heaven forbid if paedophilia is seen as normal and something to joke about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx4ixXQFUQY
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    While agreeing in principle with all of your post, the key reason why this one fell so badly flat is that Harvey has already had an unreasonable amount of internet abuse from people based on his physical appearance. I have seen him described in the most inhumane terms, much of it to do with his size and perceived physical strength. For Boyle to pick up on this and translate it into a joke about him being some 'sex-crazed monster' just fuels the existing hate directed at a disabled kid whose only crime is being the child of a pair of media ****. To add to that, the implication that he is an unwanted burden (loser would gain custody) just fuels a level of hate that I and I guess a lot of other people on this thread and elsewhere find deeply upsetting on his behalf. You don't have to know someone to feel rage at their being the subject of someone's oh so casual cruelty. It's just basic human empathy.

It's really as simple as that for me.

As usual, you post some really good stuff. I must confess, I've never seen anything awful about Harvey as people on DS Showbiz seem more sensible than that.

Of course, a lot of the blame falls at his mother's feet. She's said some awful things about her own kid-- him still being in nappies as an older child, him weighing more than she does, her leaving chicken nuggets and crisps for him to forage-- what sort of sick bitch sells stories like that about her own child? If she kept her gob shut and focused on truly raising awareness, then her son wouldn't be fair game. How many comedians joke about Colin Farrell's son? Or Katherine Heigl's daughter?

I'm not excusing FB for being distasteful-- it's his stock in trade. I don't think I'd make fun of a disabled kid, but I'm not going to lie, I've laughed at some of the antics my husband's service users have done. I don't think finding a joke funny because it's about a disabled kid means you lack empathy. Had I heard the joke in a club, I may have laughed out of pure shock is in "did he really just go there?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Frankie, but I have to admit that I cringed when I saw him say that. I still like him though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call me cynical but Channel 4 just saved a fortune on publicity for this show which lost a third of its audience after the first week.

Humour is subjective and I have never agreed with censorship, that is what the off button is for. I personally have never found FB funny and this particular joke about a child raping his mother is pathetically unfunny. When you consider the wealth of jokes that could be generated by the whole KP/AR/PA/CP saga it is supremely lazy as well.

Therefore I am sticking with my cynical viewpoint that this is a cheap way to publicise your show when the Channel is not spending large amounts of money for traditional advertising. Job done by FB and Channel 4 then, there are people baying for his blood but I bet his audience figures are up next week.
  • Options
    ValderyValdery Posts: 4,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    ANYTHING can be a joke. It just comes down to personal taste. I have heard many jokes on topics where the reality is distasteful/repulsive/illegal but the actual joke itself is funny.

It is relatively easy to divorce reality from what is effectively a line or two in a tv show.

What when a real person with disbabilities is named and real parents of that disabled child (named)? :confused::D I don't think you can get more REAL than that can you? :mad: :confused: :mad:
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As usual, you post some really good stuff. I must confess, I've never seen anything awful about Harvey as people on DS Showbiz seem more sensible than that.

Of course, a lot of the blame falls at his mother's feet. She's said some awful things about her own kid-- him still being in nappies as an older child, him weighing more than she does, her leaving chicken nuggets and crisps for him to forage-- what sort of sick bitch sells stories like that about her own child? If she kept her gob shut and focused on truly raising awareness, then her son wouldn't be fair game. How many comedians joke about Colin Farrell's son? Or Katherine Heigl's daughter?

I'm not excusing FB for being distasteful-- it's his stock in trade. I don't think I'd make fun of a disabled kid, but I'm not going to lie, I've laughed at some of the antics my husband's service users have done. I don't think finding a joke funny because it's about a disabled kid means you lack empathy. Had I heard the joke in a club, I may have laughed out of pure shock is in "did he really just go there?"

Oh gosh, not on DS, the abuse, on other random internet sites. And really, some of it was so awful it almost physically hurt to read, total disbelief that anyone - let alone a small disabled child - could generate so much malice and spite. And I didn't mean to imply that you were lacking in empathy (believe me, FB has made me laugh helplessly plenty of inappropriate times in the past!), that was just me explaining why this fell so flat for me, because of the impact the things I'd read elsewhere about Harvey had on me. The target should have been the parent/s, not the child, and had FB put aside his need to shock for a moment, there could have been a very good hard-hitting on-target joke in there.
    (PS. And thanks for the kind words. :) )
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Valdery wrote: »
    What when a real person with disbabilities is named and real parents of that disabled child (named)? :confused::D I don't think you can get more REAL than that can you? :mad: :confused: :mad:

Im talking about the reality of the act.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I would defend people's right, to an extent, to make tasteless/sick jokes, but this wasn't a joke. It was just a statement to cause offense. There's no wit behind it, no rationale - if he had said it about the Queen instead it would have the same reasoning to it, i.e. none.

It's quite depressing that quite a few people seem to find it funny to be offensive for the sole reason of being offensive.
  • Options
    Ricky D GervaisRicky D Gervais Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RonnyJ wrote: »
    I would defend people's right, to an extent, to make tasteless/sick jokes, but this wasn't a joke. It was just a statement to cause offense. There's no wit behind it, no rationale - if he had said it about the Queen instead it would have the same reasoning to it, i.e. none.
    When did the Queen marry a cage fighter?
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Boyle can be funny on occasion, but I just find him too predictable. It's just a case of "what can I say now to be as 'edgy' and controversial as possible" with him. It's dull, IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Valdery wrote: »
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Im talking about the reality of the act.

The reality of the act really named real people, it became personal not an act. :)
  • Options
    chuck_wipplchuck_wippl Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    His book and column are both hilarious, as in, laugh out loud hilarious.

He's also really funny on Mock The Week.

But his stand up? SHITE. Seriously shite :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grappla wrote: »
    Fortunately for me I did not watch Frankie Boyle but today there is an army out here in the public domain that is so outraged at him for his deeply offensive comments about Harvey that everyone is saying that they’re not going to listen to him ever again – Frankie Boyle is now off limits.

To use any disabled child to try and get a cheap laugh in the name of comedy is the most offensive, disgraceful, unpalatable, sickening thing that I have ever heard of – this Boyle character should be banned from ever appearing anywhere ever again, I feel sick with anger over him and don’t give me this “Well everyone knows what his humour is, don’t be offended” rubbish – the point is, Boyle is totally unfunny, he has offended and angered everyone right across this country today and if he thinks he is funny he has got another thing coming and anyone else who thinks he is funny, there is something up with your heads – you sickening bunch.

Anyone who finds Boyle’s offensive material about Harvey amusing they must not have a soul, they lack compassion and they do not have a heart.
    Harvey is a very special little boy and has overcome a lot of his difficulties considering all his health problems he has turned out to be a gorgeous, sensible little boy and I for one admire all of the hard work that has gone into making Harvey who he is today.

Frankie Boyle should be run out of town, he is a foul mouthed, uncouth, sickening individual, totally unfunny, grossly inadequate as a human being and should be stuffed in some institution himself to learn how to be a decent human being and learn how to have manners and compassion towards disabled children who need all of us to look after them.

Close that foul mouth Frankie Boyle, nobody finds you funny, I do not have enough words to describe how foul and low you are!

Hi Katie !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janette800 wrote: »
    Ban the disgusting beast...this was not about Jordan who can stick up for herself but for a handicapped little boy what is wrong with you people:mad:

We have a sense of humour ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, can people realise that Peter 'the best dad in the world' Andre is not Harvey's father.

Dwight Yorke is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC57 wrote: »
    Also, can people realise that Peter 'the best dad in the world' Andre is not Harvey's father.

Dwight Yorke is.

Yes but he hasn't spoken out about it. ;):)
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mousy wrote: »
    Im sure theres a case for slander there.

It's inconceivable C4 wouldn't have had lawyers look at it before broadcast.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sidsgirl wrote: »
    [/B]

Wonder if he would find it funny if somebody targetted one of his children, in retaliation for his disgusting sense of humour.

If it was done in the form of a funny joke then he probably would find it funny. As he points out, and others have here - he's joking, it's just a joke, it's not meant to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everything can be turned into a joke.

If that is the case then who gets to say where the line is drawn that people shouldn't cross? You? The Daily Mail? I'd say society decides, they vote with their feet. When the consensus of society decided racism was no longer suitable material for making jokes about back in the 80s that shift was demonstrated by people no longer patronising such comics so they dissapeared. at the moment, plenty of people find FB's material acceptable as they go to his shows, buy his DVDs and watch his TV programmes. so I'm afraid until society's attitude shifts again and decides FB's material is no longer acceptable, you and others who disagree with the consensus will have to just exercise your own brand of censorship by using your remote control to switch over when FB comes on TV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RonnyJ wrote: »

It was a joke, that's why so many of us laughed at it. Had we read a story of Harvey trying to rape Katie Price for real then we wouldn't have laughed. Can you really not tell the difference between a joke and a statement?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we need a new rule......

If you didn't see it you can't moan about it.

How many people who are taking the moral high ground actually watched the program or his DVD or went to one of his live shows?

Not many I reckon.................

Whether the content of the joke was right or wrong why should people who haven't actually seen it comment?

It's called a bandwagon!

As for the moral high grounders what is it like living in your ivory towers?

Never saying a bad word about anyone or anything?

That's hypocrisy in my book.........
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verso07 wrote: »
    I think we need a new rule......

If you didn't see it you can't moan about it.

How many people who are taking the moral high ground actually watched the program or his DVD or went to one of his live shows?

Not many I reckon.................

Whether the content of the joke was right or wrong why should people who haven't actually seen it comment?

It's called a bandwagon!

As for the moral high grounders what is it like living in your ivory towers?

Never saying a bad word about anyone or anything?

That's hypocrisy in my book.........

Does this apply to every Showbiz story? it's going to pretty quiet on this forum if that's the case :D

People are commenting on it as it's been reported in the press (and not just the DM). This is a discussion forum. Pretty much anything can therefore be discussed here, and people are going to have opinions that differ from yours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallam wrote: »
    Oh dear. And I thought Boyle fans loved sick humour.

Yes, humour, something your post was devoid of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiofan wrote: »
    so your saying a 8 year old shagging his mother can be rated as a joke, who in their right mind can laugh at such a distasteful subject

That wasn't the joke though. The joke was about jordan only marrying a cage fighter to protect her from Harvey, bearing in mind some of the things Jordan herself had already said about Harvey already being heavier and stronger than her. If you're going to get upset about a joke you should at least know what the joke was about.