Whitechapel - Series 3

Comments

• tallulahulatallulahula Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    Thoroughly enjoyed that - unlikely that the therapist could beat off rufty tufty bloke twice and then get killed by his old mum though.... I did initially wonder if the mother killed her because she had been part of the killing spree with the son, but I don't think that can be it.
    Scary Good:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    kittykat30 wrote: »
    Any news on a S4?

RPJ has said on Twitter that hopefully there will be more. So, fingers crossed!
  • JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Most of my questions have been answered on here now - thank you!! My only gripe is that the boy didnt look that big - certainly not big enough to overpower all these people. Dragging the girl up the stairs face first because she broke the lift must have taken some doing - and the stringing up of graffiti boy.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    True hard to believe that RPJ's character would need to even ask out girls no doubt they would be flinging themselves at him!!

Very disapponted we didn't get one more shirt change at the end.
    When he asked Morgan out, he reminded me of newsreader Dom on radio one asking Christina Ricci if she would like his phone number (cringe)
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are we any the wiser, does Kent fancy Joe.

Going by last night there was certainly something there!!
  • valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't get the last bit, why did the mother kill the girl? and where did she get a weapon? also what is Steve Pembertons part in this programme? he just seems to swan around. With all the Police budget and staffing cuts nowadays I would think he would be the first to go, and all his files.
    Forum Member
    valkay wrote: »
    I didn't get the last bit, why did the mother kill the girl? and where did she get a weapon? also what is Steve Pembertons part in this programme? he just seems to swan around. With all the Police budget and staffing cuts nowadays I would think he would be the first to go, and all his files.

The girl said in court that the dad died from heart disease from his drinking and not the scallies on the estate making his life hell. When she hugged Morgan you saw her look over her shoulder at the glass table - I assume she smashed it and used the piece of glass that was lying next to Morgan when they went in.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member

I'm guessing Steve P's character works for virtually nothing
  • 4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've loved this series. I've never been so scared by something on TV :eek:

I'm gutted that the girl was killed, I thought the dishy detective was going to get some romance at last! :cry:
  • Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    The girl said in court that the dad died from heart disease from his drinking and not the scallies on the estate making his life hell. When she hugged Morgan you saw her look over her shoulder at the glass table - I assume she smashed it and used the piece of glass that was lying next to Morgan when they went in.

Or possibly the piece that was sticking out of Morgan's chest ;)
    Forum Member
    Or possibly the piece that was sticking out of Morgan's chest ;)

I was watching through my fingers :D
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really hope we get more soon!

I have to admit that I thought the whole thing of Joe falling for Morgan and then losing her like that was a bit too much - I suppose it'll make him even more strung out now, though.

As far as Kent is concerned, I'm thinking he has his own obsessions and hang ups - just a stupid theory here but the way he reacted to Morgan telling him he had bad in him made me think he might believe there's a darkness in him, and the reason he's latched onto Joe, and copied his behaviour as he has is because Joe is so upright and fastidious...the antithesis of "bad" ... I think there have been a few little hints that he's quite a complex guy - but I won't bore everyone with it! And of course, it could just be a simple case of him fancying his boss!!

I love the way every character is being slowly unwrapped, so it keeps us interested in them (love the female officer, too - she's so natural).
    Forum Member
    The female officer reminds me of Eileen off Coronation St!!
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it as usual, perhaps I can sleep monday nights now, getting fed up with fitfull sleep, :)
  • solaresolare Posts: 11,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    also what is Steve Pembertons part in this programme? he just seems to swan around. With all the Police budget and staffing cuts nowadays I would think he would be the first to go, and all his files.
    I like Steve Pemberton's role in the programme as an expert in crime history. His anecdotes often give the team ideas in how to approach their current investigations.

Also, from a viewer's perspective, his stories are quite interesting, For example, after last week's episode I went onto wiki to read more about the 'lost' film "London After Midnight" that was mentioned.

I agree that in the real world a police station would be unlikely to afford such a person on their team. It's rather like having a 'criminal profiler' on the team.
  • Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    I'm guessing Steve P's character works for virtually nothing

Two weeks in Benidorm I'd wager
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    I like Steve Pemberton's role in the programme as an expert in crime history. His anecdotes often give the team ideas in how to approach their current investigations.

Also, from a viewer's perspective, his stories are quite interesting, For example, after last week's episode I went onto wiki to read more about the 'lost' film "London After Midnight" that was mentioned.

I agree that in the real world a police station would be unlikely to afford such a person on their team. It's rather like having a 'criminal profiler' on the team.

I agree with this - his role would probably never be funded in the real world, but the info Ed provides on past cases makes the show all the more interesting for me.
  • jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Whitechapel, its just a pity that we have to wait another yr for Series 4 (if there is one).

Its one of the few British dramas that exactly make use of a ensemble cast. You actually care about them all, not just the stars
  • ButterfaceButterface Posts: 2,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Think you've hit the nail right on the head there Jude007. Not only are the episodes gripping, creepy and interesting from a historical point of view, the acting is so top notch and natural that we actually care about the characters. Miles and the female detective in particular are terrific.

Really hope they'll make more and that they'll be of the same calibre.
  • enna_genna_g Posts: 2,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh no poor Joe I was really hoping for a happy ending for him and then she got killed! I was in tears, Will this tip him over the edge do you think - or will the rubber band help?

Such a great series - very creepy and all such wonderful characters. I love the intereaction between Miles and Joe. Kent is creepy himself and I think she was right when she said he had a darkness in him. I wonder if he will eventually turn against Joe.

The police sitting watching the film with Mastin was quite amusing. I got a feeling that was the prime reason he escaped - to watch the film then put it in safe hands.
    Miles was right all along that he wasn't the killer.

I think that the psychologist did not overcome the mother because she was not just expecting it. She thought she had come for sympathy not with murder on her mind. I really liked her, she would have been great for Joe. Ah well he will just have to try and start again. It wouldn't be any good throwing yourself at him - I think you would just scare him away. He is far too complex a character.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoTaylor wrote: »
    I was watching through my fingers :D

me too, and I think i missed some things. Pity whitechapel prisoners wives and kidnap and ransom all finish this week. I have enjoyed them all.
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I loved Whitechapel. Of course, if you really analyse it, it's totally unrealistic, far fetched and bizarre and yet it still manages to make me go around and check all of the doors are locked after I've watched it.

Somebody foolishly phoned me in the last 20 minutes so I've yet to watch that closely but I like to catch it on the ITV player again anyway, to see what I missed the first watching, so I'll do that later.

I'm glad that the therapist didn't end up with Joe, what with her being killed and everything. I don't see him with a girlfriend, and anyway I know some liked her, but I thought that she was a bit odd. I think that her habit of analysing everyone, some even when she'd only just met them would become annoying to him after a while. She's not exactly relaxing company and that would get wearing after a while. I don't think they'll give him a girlfriend as such, but I'd like to see him with someone slightly less serious.

As I said I didn't watch the last bit, but I gather that not everything was explained away. Like the haunted house- particularly the way the pictures changed and I like that they don't have an answer for everything, it makes it even more scary.
  • cedgecedge Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    I thought the whole of this series was excellent.
    I'm just sad it's over.

Totally agree with this, best series by a country mile although I though this episode's conclusion was the weakest yet as you only really had a chance of finding out who done it at the very end. A bit of a shock ending as well - I really wanted him to be happy!

The sound effects and music really make this a creepy and gritty detective series which is a breath of fresh air compared with Midsomer's recent Pantomime and suitable for afternoon viewing i.e. dumbed down direction. Not to mention 'Jones' regression to be a dunce after showing promise a couple of series's ago.
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lady Bolly wrote: »
    RPJ has said on Twitter that hopefully there will be more. So, fingers crossed!

So has Phil Davis, maybe next year.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solare wrote: »
    I like Steve Pemberton's role in the programme as an expert in crime history. .............. It's rather like having a 'criminal profiler' on the team.

And about as much use. While I enjoy Steve Pemberton's role very much, I don't believe anything he says actually moves an investigation forward at all. So very much like a profiler, then.