Options

Google Chrome Keeps Crashing on Facebook, although Nowhere else

MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Morning all, I use facebook a lot accessing it via Google Chrome. The last two weeks, the facebook page keeps freezing up and crashes occasionally. Yet, other pages such as Amazon does not, and only Digital Spy freezes now and then. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most likely a plug-in or extension.

Easiest way is to open an incognito (pR0n) window. Obviously, check in Menu|Settings|Extensions that 'Allow in Incognitio' is unchecked for all your extensions.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »
    Morning all, I use facebook a lot accessing it via Google Chrome. The last two weeks, the facebook page keeps freezing up and crashes occasionally. Yet, other pages such as Amazon does not, and only Digital Spy freezes now and then. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Without actually seeing the error it is not possible to tell you what is occurring. You may find a record in the windows event log to give you can error message. I would suggest you run a virus scan and a tool called Malwarebytes that will remove any harmful programs that maybe installed. If that does not find the problem you can try to re-install chrome. Just uninstall it from program files and download the current version from google.
    Also check you have the current copy of java runtime from oracle I believe facebook might use it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    Without actually seeing the error it is not possible to tell you what is occurring. You may find a record in the windows event log to give you can error message. I would suggest you run a virus scan and a tool called Malwarebytes that will remove any harmful programs that maybe installed. If that does not find the problem you can try to re-install chrome. Just uninstall it from program files and download the current version from google.
    Also check you have the current copy of java runtime from oracle I believe facebook might use it.

If there is an infection, then following your instruction might not be easy, especially for the less techinically minded. IE could be riddled with junk and often is, regardless of how Chrome is performing.

Here is a direct link to download Malwarebytes.

Reinstalling Chrome will only be of use if the Auto Updater has failed in some way. Plus, if there is a setting in the profile, this won't cure it, the new install will pick it up.

JRE might be a good call - Avast! is prompting to update to 8u20. I can't make it work with LibreOffice 4.3.1.2, but for everything else it seems to be OK (haven't tried facebook or Minecraft, because I don't use them). But, as a general idea, Java enabled in the browser isn't good, mmkay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shhftw wrote: »
    JRE might be a good call - Avast! is prompting to update to 8u20. I can't make it work with LibreOffice 4.3.1.2, but for everything else it seems to be OK (haven't tried facebook or Minecraft, because I don't use them). But, as a general idea, Java enabled in the browser isn't good, mmkay.

It's not the JRE, it seems to be a bug in 4.3.1.2 - reverting to 4.3.0.4 works with 8u20 and 7u67.