Red Rock - New TV3 soap starts 7th of January

Paul_CullotyPaul_Culloty Posts: 564
Forum Member
✭✭
For a country that has consistently high audience figures for UK soaps, surprisingly few Irish attempts have been made in recent decades. Fair City began in 1989, but hobbled by scripts by ex-Eastenders writers, it took until the mid-Nineties before finding a winning domestic formula. RTE also created Ros na Run, before the long-running soap transferred to the then TnaG in 1996, but despite running for almost 20 years, ratings have never been strong. Now TV3 aims to take on Corrie with its own domestic product - a strong cast and script will be required to have a longevity that's more Brookside than Eldorado.

Comments

• James68James68 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    ABC General Hospital NBC Days of our Lives CBS The Young and the Restless, The Bold and the Beautiful

The world doesn't need any more soaps - just a better push outside the United States for these gems!

And before the naysayers get started - if BBC1.had put Y&R on at 1.45pm a few years ago - and stuck with it, then Victor Newman would be a face of British daytime - rather than some git doing up houses

They make me sick - and they are probably younger than you or me - which makes it even worse to swallow.......
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Wasn't General Hospital shown on UK TV at one stage or am I getting mixed up with A Country Practice? That was Australian and I remember being off school sick and watching it. I also remember watching Blue Heelers.
  • James68James68 Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    GH was on abc1 2004/2005 and was cancelled because they could repeat comedies 20 times a week instead of bedding it down into the schedule - it was down to the $$$$$$$$$$$$ at the end of the day / abc1 was taken off air because they couldn't make enough money out of it - yawn...........
  • irishmikeeirishmikee Posts: 4,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An awful lot riding on this for TV3 after losing Corrie and Emmerdale. They really need it to be a success but it's entering a saturated market. Soap audiences are decling across the board. Have to say the advert for it is fantastic and it has gotten a lot of interest. Should get a decent opening audience but it's longevity will depend on the quality of it's opening episodes. Tv3 have invested heavily in it, I hope it works out for them.
  • Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishmikee wrote: »
    An awful lot riding on this for TV3 after losing Corrie and Emmerdale. They really need it to be a success but it's entering a saturated market. Soap audiences are decling across the board. Have to say the advert for it is fantastic and it has gotten a lot of interest. Should get a decent opening audience but it's longevity will depend on the quality of it's opening episodes. Tv3 have invested heavily in it, I hope it works out for them.

I know a member of the crew on the show and they have said they expect it to flop, it will morph into a cheap Fairly Shitty within six months on air if it lasts that long.