Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,973
    Forum Member
    Marilliona wrote: »
    I love reading this but very rarely feel I can add to the thread. However I have a little story from years ago - nothing too exciting but it always made me smirk when I saw him on tv.

I worked for a cleaning company that had the contract for where Sale of the Century was filmed. When the ladies (all in their late 50's and early 60's) came to collect their wages each week, they would moan and moan about him. Their main gripe was that he was a 'dirty ole buggar' Now they meant that in the literal sense. He used to come off set and the first thing he would do would be to take his clothes off to change and fling them wherever they landed. Then would have a ciggie and stub out the ash into the posh china cups, not the ashtray. My little ladies used to find stinky socks on the cupboard tops, under units, on the shelves with the cups and kettle. The rest of his clothes would be abandoned next to, not in the linen bin and he would go off to his digs oblivious. On the occasion he asked one of the ladies to pick up after him. He would be told in broad Norfolk 'You must be kidding me! What your last slave die of?'

Brilliant stuff! Thank you for this. Mr Parsons, what a filthy 'article'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    Brilliant stuff! Thank you for this. Mr Parsons, what a filthy 'article'.

Have always had visions of my little old ladies, chasing after him with their brooms, telling him to pick his own undercrackers!
  • robborocksrobborocks Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Cowell- absolutely charming, top bloke.
    Take that- all very friendly, Gary and mark in particular.
    Kylie- absolute Gem
    Tyson Fury- legend
    Dom Joly- nice guy
    Alled Jones- absolute tit
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robborocks wrote: »
    Simon Cowell- absolutely charming, top bloke.
    Take that- all very friendly, Gary and mark in particular.
    Kylie- absolute Gem
    Tyson Fury- legend
    Dom Joly- nice guy
    Alled Jones- absolute tit

Have read this a few times, now, from different sources.

He comes across as being pretty genial but reports of him being not-so-nice off camera keep leaking out.

What was it that put you off?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Have read this a few times, now, from different sources.

He comes across as being pretty genial but reports of him being not-so-nice off camera keep leaking out.

What was it that put you off?

Absolute diva, he was working on a shoot abroad with owner of production company and kept calling his agent in UK to get them to call us and we would then have to call the owner who was filming with him.

Very petty demands, requesting 1st class on a flight where there were no 1st class facilities as it was a v short flight, refusing to speak to anyone when he did come to the office, lots more but v different to his onscreen persona.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    My mate has met a few of the Strictly judges/presenters (not all at once, but over the years). Special praise reserved for Darcey Bussell, Claudia Winkleman, Len Goodman and Zoe Ball.
    Forum Member
    Absolute diva, he was working on a shoot abroad with owner of production company and kept calling his agent in UK to get them to call us and we would then have to call the owner who was filming with him.

Very petty demands, requesting 1st class on a flight where there were no 1st class facilities as it was a v short flight, refusing to speak to anyone when he did come to the office, lots more but v different to his onscreen persona.

There's always been something deeply unappealing about him for me, so none of this comes as a surprise at all. I've read elsewhere he's a complete plonker.
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for saying about Steve
    I get that impression too that he is not a very nice person
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sounds like a right old pain in the bum ^_^. Thanks for replying.
  • cliffy91cliffy91 Posts: 1,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone here ever met Ricky Gervais? I know someone who has met him and says he is lovely and totally different to how he expected,just wondered if anyone else had the same experience with him?
  • Poppy99_PoppyPoppy99_Poppy Posts: 2,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is always the C - Z listers who have an over inflated sense of self.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cliffy91 wrote: »
    Has anyone here ever met Ricky Gervais? I know someone who has met him and says he is lovely and totally different to how he expected,just wondered if anyone else had the same experience with him?

Know someone who worked with him, very friendly warm and down to earth from what I was told.
  • Mrs ChecksMrs Checks Posts: 8,370
    Forum Member
    My mate has met a few of the Strictly judges/presenters (not all at once, but over the years). Special praise reserved for Darcey Bussell, Claudia Winkleman, Len Goodman and Zoe Ball.

Have met Darcey Bussell twice via my work, she's lovely
  • BarrymorefanBarrymorefan Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    Ken Kitson - Policeman in Last of the Summer Wine. Lovely fella, gave me a signed picture and we spoke for a few mins. He was trying to flog his book outside a cafe in Scarborough circa 2010.
    Chuckle Brothers - Met on two occasions, 2004 and 2007. Lovely on both occasions.
    Denis Law - lovely fella signed everything and posed for a photo. Not a bad word to say about him.
    Bobby Charlton - miserable old sod.
    Neil Warnock - again was a top man spoke about football and had a pic.
    Jim Davidson - spoke briefly after a football game was very pleasant but didn't stop long.
    Jasper Carrott - very nice guy, posed for a pic and spoke about the previous night's gig.
    Suggs - nice enough, signed my things and had a pic.
    Archie Kelly - saw him on a train to York Races, had a quick in the middle of a game of cards! Nice fella.
    Rob Newman- very nice guy.
    Justin Moorhouse - again, nice guy.
    Trevor Dwyer Lynch (Taxi driver from Corrie) - nice enough, took photo of me and Justin Moorhouse and then posed for one himself. But didn't chat much.
    John Bishop - late for gig but still posed for photo and signed my book.
    Jimmy Carr - top man, spoke for 5 mins after his gig, shook his hand and signed my book.
    Frank Skinner - lovely bloke, chatted for a few mins before a gig and had a photo.
    Dave Hemingway (Housemartins, Beautiful South) -saw him after a gig in December, rather drunk and asked him if he himself had been drunk on stage! He said he hadn't and had a photo with me.
    Dave Spikey - nice enough, posed for a pic.
    Jason Byrne - was on phone and hung up to sign something for me and pose for a selfie!
    John Challis - nice guy.
    Any tales about Paul Weller, Billy Bragg, Al Murray, Jeremy Hardy, Lee Hurst or Paul Merton?
  • Johnny_CashJohnny_Cash Posts: 2,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I met billy bragg, I was at cambridge folk festival and this was in the 90's and someone saw me in my BB tshirt and mentioned that he was outside the tent. I went out and noticed that he was with his partner and his small child, Jack. I was reluctant to speak to him as I didnt want to impose, he saw me loitering and beckoned me over. He asked "how you doing mate", I said I was sorry for disturbing him, he said dont worry. We talked for ten minutes, on gigs, he had had a bit of a hiatus at that point, on politics, on music he was doing, he was absolutely lovely, and one of the nicest musicians I have ever met, and I have met a lot (mainly indie people).
  • PedroPedro Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Not in general terms but it never looks good when somebody of means has a go at somebody doing their job on about £18.000 a year.

Ian Wright done it once and made himself look a bigger Di-k then he already is.;-)
    "Can I use your phoawn?" :D:D:D
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Missed Bono and The Edge by seconds outside the Lowry Hotel in Manchester (during the 360 degree tour). Loads of people there said they'd come over to sign autographs, chat and have photos, said what great fellas they were. Waited aged for Larry and Adam to come out - when Adam finally did, he just said 'sorry, running late' and got in the waiting car. Didn't bother waiting for Larry. Gutted to miss Bono and The Edge though (ex-husband's fault, quibbling about putting - my! - £1 in the parking meter, he's never forgiven himself for missing them).
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any tales about Paul Weller, Billy Bragg, Al Murray, Jeremy Hardy, Lee Hurst or Paul Merton?

Met Paul once. He was friendly but very businesslike, then I managed to get talking to him about vintage comedy and he was lovely, though we had to cut it short as his car arrived.

Edit: Merton, not Weller, as I suspect you guessed. :)
    Forum Member
    Valentine wrote: »
    Missed Bono and The Edge by seconds outside the Lowry Hotel in Manchester (during the 360 degree tour). Loads of people there said they'd come over to sign autographs, chat and have photos, said what great fellas they were. Waited aged for Larry and Adam to come out - when Adam finally did, he just said 'sorry, running late' and got in the waiting car. Didn't bother waiting for Larry. Gutted to miss Bono and The Edge though (ex-husband's fault, quibbling about putting - my! - £1 in the parking meter, he's never forgiven himself for missing them).

I have always thought Bono was a sweet bloke. I love the "thank you" to the roadie when he gives him the guitar at the start of this song. I know, it's just manners, but I've remembered this moment in the Red Rocks video for over 30 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epAeGB0Tecg
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,493
    Forum Member

Paul Weller always seems a moody type. I certainly wouldn't be asking him if he could get me Bruce Foxton's autograph.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news for Harry Hill fans: apparently he's really friendly and nice, according to someone I know who has taken part in the first Stars in Their Eyes recording.
  • dumpty2dumpty2 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Anyone heard anything on Cilla Black?
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul Weller always seems a moody type. I certainly wouldn't be asking him if he could get me Bruce Foxton's autograph.

Well why would you? Bruce Foxton would be more the one to ask for that.
  • darkislanddarkisland Posts: 3,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dumpty2 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything on Cilla Black?

Who she ? ;-)
  • pmw_hewittpmw_hewitt Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news for Harry Hill fans: apparently he's really friendly and nice, according to someone I know who has taken part in the first Stars in Their Eyes recording.

I attended a talk hosted by Yoko Ono in London a couple of months ago and clocked Harry Hill and his wife just behind me in the queue. He came across great. He conversed with everyone who approached him, queued for a good hour or so with everyone else, milled around the exhibition room and then sat amongst the rest of us during the event itself. Absolutely nothing starry about neither Harry nor his wife whatsoever.

He came across as a quiet but very nice and unassuming man.

After the event itself Yoko and her son Sean Lennon declined autographs but apologetically so, as it was late and they said they wanted to get dinner. They both seemed nice enough, however.

And I returned to the same building a few weeks later for a talk with Brian May. Similarly, Anita Dobson and Jim Beach sat amongst the public, however they did beat a hasty retreat before the queues began for the meet and greet. Brian was wonderful as always.