Do you still get money from dole to buy an interview suit ?

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
I have been sending out CV's and job applications left, right and centre.
If I do get an interview for a job, I don't have a suit to wear at the interview.
As far as I am aware, the dole used to provide an allowance for you to buy an interview outfit.
Does this still happen ?

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you don't have a shirt and tie of any sort?
    a suit is not required for an interview.
    shirt, tie and trousers will suffice.
  • Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they'll provide money for a suit. Perhaps enough for a shirt, tie, trousers and shoes from Primark. Not sure if they still do this I know it was the case a few years ago.
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been sending out CV's and job applications left, right and centre.
    If I do get an interview for a job, I don't have a suit to wear at the interview.
    As far as I am aware, the dole used to provide an allowance for you to buy an interview outfit.
    Does this still happen ?

Job Centre gave me an invoice type thing to take to Matalan a few months back so I could buy trousers, blouse/shirt and shoes for an interview I had coming up.

I guess it will vary job centre to job centre but you should definitely ask about it.
  • MookleMookle Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can pick up some good suits in charity shops.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charity Shop or car boot would be your best bet if you wanted to own, but you could always try asking family/friends to borrow a suit.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Shirt and tie combo can be bought for £5 all you then need is smart trousers and shoes (Surely you have shoes)

These are clothes i would think all people have just in case they are needed
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jobcentres have what is called a "flexible support fund" which they can use to provide you with money/vouchers to pay for things you might need to help you with finding work. It is totally discretionary though, and up to your individual adviser/jobcentre as to whether you'll receive anything from them.

A little bit of info can be found here: http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/work_w/work_self-employed_or_looking_for_work_e/government_employment_schemes.htm

Best thing to do is ask your jobcentre adviser next time you sign on.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    And if the job centre doubt you will use the money correctly they may make you pay and hand over receipts then reimburse you
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you stop baking all your cakes for a couple of weeks, then you could afford to by a shirt and tie.
    It must cost you quite a bit of money in ingredients.
  • Jamie_BradleyJamie_Bradley Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    You could probably get a suit for £15 from a charity shop, or try Primark/ADSA/Tesco. I'm sure you can get a shirt for £5 trousers for £9 an a £2 tie.
  • rikstan87rikstan87 Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A bin bag will do
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    Why don't you stop baking all your cakes for a couple of weeks, then you could afford to by a shirt and tie.
    It must cost you quite a bit of money in ingredients.

Someone usually mentions him cancelling Sky to save money but I'm sure he's covered that by now...
  • yeahbuddyyeahbuddy Posts: 703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -ask a family member or friend whether they have one you can borrow
    -check the local charity shops for a shirt, tie and a pair of trousers (a jacket isn't necessary)
    -go to local supermarkets as they do cheap clothing
    -also check eBay, there is bound to be one in there that someone wants to get rid for about £10

If all else fails then go to the jobcentre, they like to see that you can start on your own. If you are in a really bad financial way you will have to go to the jobcentre and ask.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a 1997 D&G here from the late 90s..

I was trendy then..

"Still fits.. Look.."

Squeeze
  • PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I signed off I got money from them to buy a month's bus pass so I could get to work for the first 4 weeks - about £50 I think. They had an invoice thingy that I had to present to the bus company. This was 3+ years ago though, so I don't know if it's the same now.
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you are on work programme you can't get access to the flexible support fund. If you aren't on work programme ask your adviser, they may say come back when you have an interview date ( proof of interview) before giving ing you a voucher for matalan stating what you can have
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    Yes I got one for Matalan, was about 5 years ago now. Enough for black trousers and a shirt