Buying an Ipad 64gb Wifi

Next month I have a mammoth work trip. I will go to Tokyo, Shanghai, New York and Philadelphia.

I was thinking about buying an 64gb ipad Wifi in one of these locations, and I am not sure where is best to pick it up from.

Does anyone have a recommendation?
It would be nice to buy it in Tokyo or in Shanghai as it is the first stop of my trip, and then I have it for the rest of the time, but would I be better off buying it in the US in terms of price?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last time I saw, the price in dollars equated to the equvalent in sterling. This is Apple, do you really get a big discount regardless of what country it is bought from? Unless is is smuggled in or bought on the grey market from Shanghai.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I have in the meantime been looking into the prices from apple, and you would think as it is apple it would be consistant across the board, but this is not true the prices vary dramatically!

To buy from Apple in the states is $699 which equals approx £460
    To buy from Apple in the UK £599
    To buy from Apple in Japan it is about ¥68,800 which equals approx £540

I am now questioning is there other pros and cons of buying this in these places....
    Maybe ot specifically buy from Apple, but another store in these places?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know whether it affects the warranty. You will also need to get a new charger which you will need as most USB ports will not charge an iPad. You will also get taxed if you declare it at customs. Apple I am guessing will charge something silly like £30 for a charger so if you don't declare it you are only saving £30 buying in Tokyo. One thing that isn't in the US price is sales tax which varies from state to state.
  • JS477JS477 Posts: 1,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Throw the box away and pack it with the rest of your luggage otherwise rip-off Britain will sting you for the privilege of bringing it into the country.
  • tony13579tony13579 Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    unless you are taking your laptop you will be unable to fill it with music
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony13579 wrote: »
    unless you are taking your laptop you will be unable to fill it with music

Well only if he buys all new music straight from itunes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    bsplondon wrote: »
    I have in the meantime been looking into the prices from apple, and you would think as it is apple it would be consistant across the board, but this is not true the prices vary dramatically!

To buy from Apple in the states is $699 which equals approx £460
    To buy from Apple in the UK £599
    To buy from Apple in Japan it is about ¥68,800 which equals approx £540

I am now questioning is there other pros and cons of buying this in these places....
    Maybe ot specifically buy from Apple, but another store in these places?

You will need to add sales tax to the US price which will very depending which state you buy it in.