Hearing other peoples calls on Vodafone

heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Having lots of fun with Vodafone at the moment!
Keep getting crossed lines when people phone me up. Thought it was my Vodafone SureSignal at first so switched it off. Then it happened again this morning.

Seems I'm not the only one - anyone else having issues?

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network/Hearing-other-people-s-phone-calls/m-p/1428174/highlight/false#M59693

Comments

• legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O2 having the same issue looking at an earlier thread today.
  • heskethbangheskethbang Posts: 4,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting. One of the calls I had the problem with was calling from an o2 line, but the other was on Virgin.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is that its switching in a BT exchange somewhere as they all use BT for backhaul
  • John_PatrickJohn_Patrick Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I have integrated a site a few years ago and came to call test it, when I called the call test number, instead of hearing a recording of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, I could hear someone having quite a sexual conversation with someone. I could only hear one side of the conversation!

I had crossed the timeslots that carry traffic from one carrier to another carriers signalling. Ooops.

For it to be a bigger issue (several sites etc) then its possible its something similar but on a larger scale in the switch/BSC etc.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    So John.... what was the test number you dialed?? Hahahahaha
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    So John.... what was the test number you dialed?? Hahahahaha

I wouldnt like to say... cos I know some **** will dial it and get a huge bill.... I think its 50 or 75p a minute....

Spent many an hour drive testing listening to episodes of HGTTG... over and over and over again.....

'Hi, Im marvin....'

Least one of the other networks used a number to dial into Radio 1 and 2 to listen to that for call testing. Cant remember that number now though, grrrr
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    Oh, crap, I was hoping for an X rated number there!
    Still, as long as you have your towel and you DON'T PANIC, everything will work out in the end.
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We used to just phone the office guys for a chat
  • beecartbeecart Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldnt like to say... cos I know some **** will dial it and get a huge bill.... I think its 50 or 75p a minute....

Spent many an hour drive testing listening to episodes of HGTTG... over and over and over again.....

'Hi, Im marvin....'

Least one of the other networks used a number to dial into Radio 1 and 2 to listen to that for call testing. Cant remember that number now though, grrrr

That test number does cost a fortune! Is it just O2 that use the one with Hitchhikers Guide?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    beecart wrote: »
    That test number does cost a fortune! Is it just O2 that use the one with Hitchhikers Guide?

Believe so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me reckons a lot of people on here will know others.....that is, if people used their real names,lol
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember experiencing this a few years ago, I was on Orange and I think the other person was on Vodafone (it was in the news not long afterward).

I called someone (can't remember who and what network) but ended up being immediately connected, no ringing tone, to someone in a different village a few miles away (I know as I sort of knew the person - small world)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it seems this issue is with O2 then, with other networks impacted when an O2 customer makes a x network call
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So it seems this issue is with O2 then, with other networks impacted when an O2 customer makes a x network call

Exactly, and just because backhaul as a data connection goes through BT doesn't mean you can hear other people's calls on a digital connection. It seems like an equipment misconfiguration or failure at O2.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    But the OP said that one of the calls was Vodafone to Virgin and another poster mentions Vodafone to Orange?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    another poster mentions Vodafone to Orange?

If me, then yes. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/16/orange_vodafone_cross/

Unfortunately as much as I like to rip on O2 they are not the only ones that have had the problem, although they are still easily the most unreliable network.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    If me, then yes. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/16/orange_vodafone_cross/

Unfortunately as much as I like to rip on O2 they are not the only ones that have had the problem, although they are still easily the most unreliable network.

That was in 2004 though, we're in 2013 now and all the reports says it's O2, so if you are getting it on another network you are probably calling an O2 number or former O2 number or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    That was in 2004 though, we're in 2013 now and all the reports says it's O2, so if you are getting it on another network you are probably calling an O2 number or former O2 number or something.

I know that it is old, but the point was that O2 isn't the only network to have this problem - Orange did (although Vodafone were involved just like this time).
  • poshbakerlooposhbakerloo Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    I wish I could do this! haha