How can Janet Jackson achieve commercial success again?

124»

Comments

• gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm afraid not. That is losing interest, popularity falling. My idea of decline is Janet Jackson's Damita Jo or Boy George in the late 80's or nowadays Christina Aguilera. Janet was still very much a success then & same with All For You. She was hot property.

Also not really a fact only your opinion :)

no, what i presented to you was her returns from two albums back to back, they were the facts, but you can choose to ignore that and confuse it with opinion if you wish.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gpk wrote: »
    no, what i presented to you was her returns from two albums back to back, they were the facts, but you can choose to ignore that and confuse it with opinion if you wish.:)

Yes it is a fact she was losing popularity but i wouldn't call it a fact that it was decline. I mean she signed an 80 million dollar deal. The album sold over 10 million. The tour was successful. I would not call that a decline. compared to Janet she wasn't as popular but still hot property.

As i said decline to me is Damita Jo, Christina Aguilera Bionic & Lotos & Boy George in the latter of the 80's. Or Cyndi Lauper.

I'm not ignoring anything but as for Janet Declining that is your opinion I'm afraid :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is a fact she was losing popularity but i wouldn't call it a fact that it was decline. I mean she signed an 80 million dollar deal. The album sold over 10 million. The tour was successful. I would not call that a decline. compared to Janet she wasn't as popular but still hot property.

As i said decline to me is Damita Jo, Christina Aguilera Bionic & Lotos & Boy George in the latter of the 80's. Or Cyndi Lauper.

I'm not ignoring anything but as for Janet Declining that is your opinion I'm afraid :)

her sales declined, she sold 10 million less units like for like and delivered less hits. the bit in bold is fact, just to eliminate any confusion.:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    her sales declined, she sold 10 million less units like for like and delivered less hits. the bit in bold is fact, just to eliminate any confusion.:o

I can see that ;) Again yes she did sell rather a lot less but still she didn't decline because she still had a very successful era. She declined with Damita Jo & hasn't been a success since All For You. I find it amazing what you would call a decline. Yes she was losing interest & not as popular but still hot property. I don't mind discussing this with you. I think she declined after the superbowl & Damita Jo era & I'm sure lots of people will agree with me.

A true decline to me is Christina Aguilera although i am confident she isn't over. Boy George perfect example of decline. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it amazing what you would call a decline.

i find it amazing that people can just glare over the facts and spin commercial decline into a continued success, but whatever, the facts speak for themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i find it amazing that people can just glare over the facts and spin commercial decline into a continued success, but whatever, the facts speak for themselves.

Well that is what it is continued success not on the same level but still not flops! There are facts in what your saying just as there are in what i am saying.

I'm sure there will be other threads in which we agree. I do agree with some of your points but not all I'm afraid.

Sorry :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that is what it is continued success not on the same level but still not flops! There are facts in what your saying just as there are in what i am saying.

I'm sure there will be other threads in which we agree. I do agree with some of your points but not all I'm afraid.

Sorry :)

look this has gone on over a page now and nobody has been able deny the facts i presented. i never called the album a flop, but i disputed that it was a continued success on the same level and to mind that was where her decline began. people can discuss tours or record deals that were signed before the album, but the fact is her sales declined with "the velvet rope". a drop of 50% in sales is without a doubt a decline.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    look this has gone on over a page now and nobody has been able deny the facts i presented. i never called the album a flop, but i disputed that it was a continued success on the same level and to mind that was where her decline began. people can discuss tours or record deals that were signed before the album, but the fact is her sales declined with "the velvet rope". a drop of 50% in sales is without a doubt a decline.

OK i agree it was a continued success but not on the same level. Yes her sales dropped but still whether you agree or not she had a successful tour & 10 million sold! Together Again. So that to me & others is not a decline its a loss in popularity yes she didn't flop so imo Velvet Rope is an achievement so take that however way you like.

I have presented facts too & my opinion just as you have so you can take that however way you like :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Velvet Rope is an achievement so take that however way you like :D

yes, it was an achievement.:yawn: it managed to achieve only half the sales of its predecessor.:sleep:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, it was an achievement.:yawn: it managed to achieve only half the sales of its predecessor.:sleep:

Yes it did but it still sold 10 million shocking!! :rolleyes: Who knew 10 million was the new 3 million :rolleyes: But whatever you say is a fact so... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it did but it still sold 10 million shocking!! :rolleyes: Who knew 10 million was the new 3 million :rolleyes: But whatever you say is a fact so... :D

not only did it sell 50% than janet, it also sold less than "control" and "rhythm nation". there's a new fact for you to consider.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not only did it sell 50% than janet, it also sold less than "control" and "rhythm nation". there's a new fact for you to consider.

Yes i know but it was still not a decline it was a big success but i suppose when an artist cant reach their last sales then they must be declining & not relevant. It couldn't be that an artist loses popularity. 10 million & other things i have posted.

Now in my mind she didn't decline she lost some popularity & didn't quite achieve what she did with other albums but that's no decline Damita Jo is!

I don't mean to be rude but you obviously think you are correct & i am wrong so you are in denial so be a fool to yourself then but OK in your mind i am wrong but in my mind i am not so you can say whatever you like but a lot of people would agree with me so.. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i know but it was still not a decline it was a big success but i suppose when an artist cant reach their last sales then they must be declining & not relevant. It couldn't be that an artist loses popularity. 10 million & other things i have posted.

Now in my mind she didn't decline she lost some popularity & didn't quite achieve what she did with other albums but that's no decline Damita Jo is!

I don't mean to be rude but you obviously think you are correct & i am wrong so you are in denial so be a fool to yourself then but OK in your mind i am wrong but in my mind i am not so you can say whatever you like but a lot of people would agree with me so.. :)

that is rather rude to be honest and at no point did i resort that level of irrelevant personal discussion. it's also irrelevant how many people agree or disagree with opinions, when we are dealing in fact. we will have to agree to disagree, its the only way forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is rather rude to be honest and at no point did i resort that level of irrelevant personal discussion. it's also irrelevant how many people agree or disagree with opinions, when we are dealing in fact. we will have to agree to disagree, its the only way forward.

Well i don't think it is entirely like i said i don't mean to be. You did start of being sarcastic with smileys i didn't want to cause any offence so that's why i put a smiley face one on the end of a few msgs. I also labeled our points as opinion regardless of a few facts posted but it seems to me that your way is the right way so... Indeed we do like you said its the only way forward.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i don't think it is entirely like i said i don't mean to be. You did start of being sarcastic with smileys i didn't want to cause any offence so that's why i put a smiley one on the end of a few msgs. I also labeled our points as opinion regardless of a few facts posted but it seems to me that you way is the right way so... Indeed we do like you said its the only way forward.

suggesting someone is "in denial" and "a fool to yourself" is rather rude really, despite that allegedly not being the intention. anyone confident in their opinion wouldn't need to go there, its was irrelevant and unnecessary, but i am confident in the factual posts i made. lets just leave it there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    suggesting someone is "in denial" and "a fool to yourself" is rather rude really, despite that allegedly not being the intention. anyone confident in their opinion wouldn't need to go there, its was irrelevant and unnecessary, but i am confident in the factual posts i made. lets just leave it there.

I also said to you that I'm sure we will agree on other posts so i wasn't intentionally being rude. When you say confident in opinion it looks like you wanna continue this discussion but i will agree with lets just leave it there. Gosh i know you took my post as rude but i don't understand why things need to get like this. Again not to cause offence i will put :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also said to you that I'm sure we will agree on other posts so i wasn't intentionally being rude. When you say confident in opinion it looks like you wanna continue this discussion but i will agree with lets just leave it there. Gosh i know you took my post as rude but i don't understand why things need to get like this. Again not to cause offence i will put :)

believe me that is the last thing i want.:D i am satisfied with what i posted, that is what was meant. yes, i did find that post rude, personal comments are unnecessary in my opinion, but whatever, you apparently didn't mean it.

lets not bore people with anymore of this, this correspondence is no longer constructive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    believe me that is the last thing i want.:D i am satisfied with what i posted, that is what was meant. yes, i did find that post rude, personal comments are unnecessary in my opinion, but whatever, you apparently didn't mean it.

lets not bore people with anymore of this, this correspondence is no longer constructive.

I just men't that i thought you were being foolish cos i had some very valid points but OK i agree lets just leave it there. I am adult enough to agree/disagree on points & like i said before I'm sure there will be another post we will agree on. Wouldn't life be boring if we all agreed all the time so OK lets leave it here :)
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She can't. I just don't see her having any substantial commercial success again soon. I'd love for her to prove me wrong but she's had three flop albums in a row (Damita Jo, 20 Y.O, Discipline).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    She can't. I just don't see her having any substantial commercial success again soon. I'd love for her to prove me wrong but she's had three flop albums in a row (Damita Jo, 20 Y.O, Discipline).

her sales have been declining since 1997, but she was complacent with sub-par success in my opinion and by the time she really started flopping hard, it was too late to turn around the string of diminishing returns. sure she had new investment for "discipline" and finally changed up the production team significantly, but it was hardly a departure musically and it was too little too late.

she says she's excited about her new material, she's taking her time and seems to be more involved in the creative process again. also, she mentions she's enjoying adele and bruno mars at the moment. hopefully a new mature sound may emerge from her yet, i am excited to see what she delivers anyhow.
  • marc822marc822 Posts: 3,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never hopefully :)