Options

Hodgson's 23

Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
Forum Member
This is the thread about which players will make the Euro finals England squad rather than which squad you would personally take.

Obviously injuries will play a part and a lot can change yet in terms of form but I thought it would be interesting to see how close some people might get. I guess 19-20 would be a good score.

Here's mine....

Hart
Butland
Forster

Jagielka
Cahill
Smalling
Jones
Stones
Clyne
Baines
Gibbs

Henderson
Milner
Wilshere
Barkley
Alli
Oxlade-Chamberlain
Sterling
Walcott

Sturridge
Kane
Rooney
Ings

I may edit this within the next few hours if I've made any glaring errors. Hope that's 23.

Comments

• Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And the above, along with hodgson, is why i shall not be watching again.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »

Not enough Chelsea players and too many Liverpool ones?
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's the spirit!
  • Options
    Forum Member

My guess at the final squad will make you not watch the finals?

I'm not following your train of thought.
  • Options
    Alfred ChickenAlfred Chicken Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why's that?

Is it because the squad isn't full of overrated, overhyped celebrity players that the TV pundits tell us are England's answer to Pele and Maradona?

Hodgson is a decent manager. He has taken over at the worst possible time. He was thrown straight in to the last Euros with barely any time to prepare and got some decent results, only going out on penalties to Italy. No shame in that.

Then we qualified for the World Cup and went there with a weak team that was a mix of old overrated, underachieving players with massive egos who probably couldn't care less and a few kids with little experience. The players available to Hodgson were very poor and in no way capable of achieving anything in Brazil.

Over the last year or so, he's got rid of the deadwood and brought the youngsters on and qualified with a 100% record. All in all, I'd say Hodgson has done an admirable job during a difficult transitional period and is now putting together a new team that has won every single competitive game they've played.

I'm not expecting a huge amount from England at the euros because the team is still a work in progress and the un-droppable Rooney will undoubtedly be a liability as usual, but I don't think they will disgrace themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is the thread about which players will make the Euro finals England squad rather than which squad you would personally take.

Obviously injuries will play a part and a lot can change yet in terms of form but I thought it would be interesting to see how close some people might get. I guess 19-20 would be a good score.

Here's mine....

Hart
    Butland
    Forster

Jagielka
    Cahill
    Smalling
    Jones
    Stones
    Clyne
    Baines
    Gibbs

Henderson
    Milner
    Wilshere
    Barkley
    Alli
    Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Sterling
    Walcott

Sturridge
    Kane
    Rooney
    Ings

I may edit this within the next few hours if I've made any glaring errors. Hope that's 23.

You're probably not far wrong, although Wilshere will undoubtedly be injured and staying at home and, if Klopp doesn't rate Milner, he might barely get a kick at Liverpool end up being forced out of Hodgson's plans. Sturridge's injury history doesn't bode well either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Welbeck in there, if he gets fit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't be surprised to see Welbeck in there, if he gets fit.

Good point.

I'd say it is highly likely. If Ings doesn't really cut it at Liverpool or Sturridge gets yet another injury, Mr. Welbeck is going to get the nod.
  • Options
    spursguyspursguy Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I can't pretend that I don;t have a natural bias towards Spurs, but this would be my squad:

Joe Hart
    Jack Butland
    Fraser Forster

Nathaniel Clyne
    Joel Ward (Phil Jones)
    Chris Smalling
    John Stones
    Gary Cahill
    Phil Jagielka
    Ryan Bertrand (Leighton Baines)
    Luke Shaw

Jordan Henderson
    Fabian Delph (Danny Welbeck/Ings)
    Jack Wilshere
    Eric Dier (James Milner)
    Michael Carrick
    Ross Barkley
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Theo Walcott
    Raheem Sterling

Wayne Rooney
    Daniel Sturridge
    Harry Kane

(In brackets are those I'd expect Roy to choose instead)

I don't see why we'd need more than three strikers when we're only likely to play 1 up top, plus Walcott can move forward if necessary.

For me it's time to see Milner and Jones dropped. I can't see what they bring at international level, beyond a 'shift'. That won't win you major trophies, and in Milner's case it's time to bring on the next generation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spursguy wrote: »
    I can't pretend that I don;t have a natural bias towards Spurs, but this would be my squad:

Joe Hart
    Jack Butland
    Fraser Forster

Nathaniel Clyne
    Joel Ward (Phil Jones)
    Chris Smalling
    John Stones
    Gary Cahill
    Phil Jagielka
    Luke Shaw

Jordan Henderson
    Fabian Delph
    Jack Wilshere
    Eric Dier (James Milner)
    Jonjo Shelvey (Danny Welbeck/Ings)
    Ross Barkley
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Theo Walcott
    Raheem Sterling

Wayne Rooney
    Daniel Sturridge
    Harry Kane

I don't see why we'd need more than three strikers when we're only likely to play 1 up top, plus Walcott can move forward if necessary.

For me it's time to see Milner and Jones dropped. I can't see what they bring at international level, beyond a 'shift'. That won't win you major trophies, and in Milner's case it's time to bring on the next generation

Jones has suffered a lot of injuries so I think it's unfair to write him off just yet. He needs a run of games so hopefully he can get going.

Although with Milner I agree. . Just don't see what he contributes.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can 'I'm not watching again' therefore mean 'I won't be commenting again' pretty please with sugar on top?
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    id take carrick if fit instead of delph perhaps. but maybe its time to just go all out with the new generation
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You're probably not far wrong, although Wilshere will undoubtedly be injured and staying at home and, if Klopp doesn't rate Milner, he might barely get a kick at Liverpool end up being forced out of Hodgson's plans. Sturridge's injury history doesn't bode well either.

Wilshere definitely seems to be 50/50 to even be fit. I read today he's missed 3 years of football through injury and what age is he - 23 or something? Crazy. I thought about that and considered not including him but decided to have him in there. Like you say there are others with a history of injuries or current injuries which might rule them out or might make it difficult for them to come back and regain first team club football - Shaw, Delph, Welbeck just off the top of my head. It's a certainty some players will be injured.

Still....had to pick 23 and take a punt. It's just a friendly guess.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    id take carrick if fit instead of delph perhaps. but maybe its time to just go all out with the new generation

I love Carrick, and think that he could have been brilliant for England, but I can't help but think that his time's passed.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Carrick, and think that he could have been brilliant for England, but I can't help but think that his time's passed.

yeah,defintley never utilised well

there was a period of time when watching him at mufc and imo he could have slotted into peps amazing barca team, i really think he was that good in DM/CM role

if hes gonna continue playing wilshere deep maybe there is no need for carrick but its a summer tourny and perhaps we will need experience at some point
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yeah,defintley never utilised well

there was a period of time when watching him at mufc and imo he could have slotted into peps amazing barca team, i really think he was that good in DM/CM role

if hes gonna continue playing wilshere deep maybe there is no need for carrick but its a summer tourny and perhaps we will need experience at some point

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him. I just don't think that Hodgson will, barring injuries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spursguy wrote: »

Joe Hart
    Jack Butland
    Fraser Forster

Nathaniel Clyne
    Joel Ward (Phil Jones)
    Chris Smalling
    John Stones
    Gary Cahill
    Phil Jagielka
    Luke Shaw

Jordan Henderson
    Fabian Delph (Danny Welbeck/Ings)
    Jack Wilshere
    Eric Dier (James Milner)
    Michael Carrick
    Ross Barkley
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain
    Theo Walcott
    Raheem Sterling

Wayne Rooney
    Daniel Sturridge
    Harry Kane

Thanks for the reply in the intended spirit of the thread and actually having a guess at the final squad.

I agree with you that Dier could break through in the next season or two but not sure if he'll do it before the finals (i.e. he might get capped but not make the 23). He's having a good start to the season though and I like him as a player. England lack naturally defensive midfielders with the discipline to sit. If he finds a place in a future squad then I think it's likely to be in that role before it would be centre-back or full-back as there seems to be more options in those positions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply in the intended spirit of the thread and actually having a guess at the final squad.

I agree with you that Dier could break through in the next season or two but not sure if he'll do it before the finals (i.e. he might get capped but not make the 23). He's having a good start to the season though and I like him as a player. England lack naturally defensive midfielders with the discipline to sit. If he finds a place in a future squad then I think it's likely to be in that role before it would be centre-back or full-back as there seems to be more options in those positions.

The lack of a ball winning midfielder was my thinking behind Dier. By the start of the Euro's he'd have had two full seasons in the Premier League and having excelled in both (assuming he carries on as he's started this year). He's grown up playing football abroad and when I watch him you can see those influences in the way he moves the ball. Alli has started fantastically at Spurs but speaking as someone who watches both, there is no way Roy should be considering him ahead of Dier. I even see Dier as future captain material and the experience of Euro 2016 would be invaluable in that sense.

Plus, if you bring Dier, you have that backup option of another CB or RB should injuries ravage the squad. I'd take him over Jones any day of the week.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No love for Lalana? Guess it depends on if he gets game time under Klopp.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one opting to include Townsend or Walker? I'm a Spurs fan and I wouldn't either :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you need a few experienced players though and Carrick doesn't do a bad job imo.
  • Options
    OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,486
    Forum Member
    wampa1 wrote: »
    No love for Lalana? Guess it depends on if he gets game time under Klopp.

Lallana is an odd one. He has an excellent and intelligent football brain, and is always forward looking in a match. But he's still in recovery from injury issues and not 100% match fit as yet. However, if Klopp gets that sorted, his style of play is 110% blood, mud and guts - he could bring him on to be an excellent choice.

I am holding sway on Liverpool players until we have an idea who Klopp will favour and who he will drop - the favoured ones will definitely improve in fitness and speed, the 'others' will be lucky to get on the pitch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    No one opting to include Townsend or Walker? I'm a Spurs fan and I wouldn't either :)

I'd take Townsend at a push but I expect both to be included in the 23.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I'd take Townsend at a push but I expect both to be included in the 23.

If everyone's fit, I don't see how Townsend gets anywhere near the squad. I honestly find it baffling.

Does seem to be a bit of a Hodgson favourite, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If everyone's fit, I don't see how Townsend gets anywhere near the squad. I honestly find it baffling.

Does seem to be a bit of a Hodgson favourite, though.

Can't see either Townsend or Walker anywhere near to be honest. Townsend can;t match up to Ox, Walcott, Sterling or Barkley in the attacking midfield positions whilst Hodgson favours the versatile RB/CB as RB backup, e.g. Smalling, Jones, Stones etc...