Make up, do you or don't you?

2»

Comments

• Options
    cookie_princesscookie_princess Posts: 1,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    I don't wear it. I'm always touching my face and I don't like the feeling of it on my skin - plus I don't see the point (for me anyway). A lot of folk I see that wear it to cover acne etc, I find that it actually accentuates their scars and marks rather than hide them. Each to their own though.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't wear make up! :)
  • Options
    christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without it I make children cry and birds fall from the sky.
  • Options
    Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I love makeup <3<3
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wear makeup for nights out but go easy on the foundation (mineral powder) and go a bit strong on the black eyeliner.

I am lucky enough not to have spots or acne scars and I don't want to encourage it either by excessive use of makeup.

I don't care if women use makeup to make themselves look/feel better, it's a good thing really. One thing I can't stand is full faces of makeup on young girls especially while they are at school. A young face is a beautiful one and does not need makeup to spoil it.
  • Options
    Bad Wolf 525Bad Wolf 525 Posts: 5,552
    Forum Member
    No I don't wear it. I don't like the way it feels. I feel like my skin can't breathe with it on.

The only times I wear it, is if I'm going out to a formal event or dinner, something along those lines.

As soon as I get home, I wash my face.

I do, however, think that if you like to wear it, that's fine.

You should do what makes you comfortable.
  • Options
    SnowyfaceSnowyface Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm in my last year of high school, and all through my high school life I've been asked constantly 'Why don't you wear make up?' 'Can I put some makeup on you?' 'You'd look so much better with make up!' (Thanks very much :rolleyes:) Even my mum tells me I should wear it more often!

I just hate the stuff, I don't know how to put it on and I have no interest in learning. I've seen most of my friends without their makeup, and many celebrities, and I just think it ruins their skin. I'm lucky to have basically perfect skin...never had spots, no scars or anything...so I don't really see the need for it. The one day of my 16 year life when I did wear makeup (and I was forced to by my mums friend) I absolutely hated how I looked and I just thought it made me look awful!

Plus, I can't be bothered getting up early to put it on! I like my beauty sleep :cool:
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i only wear it when i have to, makes me feel like a drag queen, ditto frocks and heels.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normally just a bit of mascara but will put the full works on for a night out.

Though these days I am lucky if I get a chance to have a shower and get dressed!
  • Options
    ShizukuShizuku Posts: 2,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wear subtle makeup when I'm out and about, my natural pallor is that of a zombie, people ask me if I'm ill or haven't slept if I don't wear makeup, without fail, every time! So I put concealer on the dark circles under my eyes and blusher on my cheeks and a touch of mascara on my lashes. I don't wear lipstick because I don't like the shape of my lips/mouth area so I don't like to draw attention to it. When I go on a night out I tend to just make my eyes more dramatic with liquid eyeliner and eyeshadow.

Recently had my makeup done professionally for my friends wedding, it took about 45 mins (!!!!) and they put about 6 layers of foundation on! I wouldn't mind but I have good skin, I used to have terrible acne for years and somehow I've gotten away with no scarring or discolouring, so I don't like to cover it and clog it up with makeup. As someone who has NEEDED to cover my face every day with foundation in the past, I find the idea of covering unblemished skin in foundation ridiculous, people with good skin don't realise how lucky they are!
  • Options
    Ada RabbleAda Rabble Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I don't wear it people inform me its not Halloween yet :cry:
  • Options
    mourinhosmissusmourinhosmissus Posts: 5,593
    Forum Member
    I wear make-up to work and if I'm going out but I don't bother if I'm just going to the shops.

I don't have spots or scars but I do look washed out and tired without it, so I wear it to look alive. I don't trowel it on and I've certainly never been tangoed! I go for the subtle/natural look and although you could probably see that I am wearing make-up (just), you wouldn't be able to tell just how much.

I also never tire of applying my make-up, although I find the act of removing it quite tiresome but it has to be done and I never fail to do so....cleanse, tone and moisturise.
  • Options
    Teddybear99Teddybear99 Posts: 6,077
    Forum Member
    My mother who is 80 has never gone a day without her make up on. Even when my Dad died, she still looked immaculately turned out. She could no more go out without make up on than fly to the moon.

I have been such a disappointment to her! In my teens rather than subtle and elegant I was experimental, loud and a bit Titslina Bumsquash in my look. Many a time coming back from the Disco looking like a spider was nesting on my face where alcohol and sweaty dancing had caused a false eyelash to seek refuge on my cheek!

Nowadays, my husband describes my style as that of a 'colour blind toddler' I do however, still wear a bit of make up if I have a client, or am out for the evening. And ALWAYS if I am seeing my mother. :D
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wear some every day. It takes me about five minutes in a morning. That five minutes is worth it, to protect my skin from the elements and it makes me look better.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't own any. But I have a shedload of moisturisers and the like.
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you're a bit judgemental in you opening post suggesting that there's necessarily any insecurity in wearing it.

I'm wearing foundation and some concealer under my eyes as I get dark circles and it doesn't look professional to look like you've stayed up half the night.

I wear eyeliner and mascara because I like them. I spent the weekend make up free and often wonder around in my skankiest clothes because I'm not wrapped up in my image (I freely admit to being wrapped up in my intellect though). You say you think you look good without it - surely that's placing your personal security in your looks as much as someone who does wear make up?

I find when it comes to confidence it's not giving a fig that matters the most.
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rarely wear make up :)
  • Options
    Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't wear make-up. It's something I've never got into the habit of wearing, and tbh I don't know where to start with it and feel far less confident wearing it than I do without.

The only concession I make is for social events where I know people think it's expected - weddings etc, and even then it's just lippy.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I always wear make up. If I'm going out somewhere nice or to work I wear the full works. If I'm just going to the supermarket or nowhere special I just put on a bit of foundation and run a blusher brush over my eyelids and cheeks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,667
    Forum Member
    Nope not a bit, never have.

Never will now as I'm allergic.
  • Options
    floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Foundation, Mascara and Blush for work and then a night out will be full eye make-up too with a slick of clear gloss on my lips (or a neutral eye with bright lipstick).

If I have a tan however, I can get away with wearing just mascara. I like it when my freckles come out in force.
    I don't like how I look without make-up and no tan though - I have huge bags under my eyes and a few acne scars which become prominent once my summer tan fades.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh I love my make up,just BB cream ,blusher, bronzer and mascarra,i just feel more like me with it on,iv struggled with mineral foundation because it goes all over the place,plus i,v come to realise that no mascara is going to give me bambi lashes no matter what the ads say,there was a girl on J Vile other morning that looked like something from a freak show she had that much on,but on the other hand when I see pics of Tilda Swinton I always think she would look so much better with a bit of slap.Oh and I forgot to add I always wear lippy of course.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you're a bit judgemental in you opening post suggesting that there's necessarily any insecurity in wearing it.

I'm wearing foundation and some concealer under my eyes as I get dark circles and it doesn't look professional to look like you've stayed up half the night.

I wear eyeliner and mascara because I like them. I spent the weekend make up free and often wonder around in my skankiest clothes because I'm not wrapped up in my image (I freely admit to being wrapped up in my intellect though). You say you think you look good without it - surely that's placing your personal security in your looks as much as someone who does wear make up?

I find when it comes to confidence it's not giving a fig that matters the most.

I'm not trying to be judgemental, I was asking people their reason for wearing make-up. I'm sure some people wear it because they are insecure.

After reading the comments, I gathered that people wear it for a multitude of different reason.
  • Options
    Dolly_DimpleDolly_Dimple Posts: 837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only wear it when i'm going for a night out. Even then i refuse to wear foundation, powder or blusher. Just a bit of tinted moisturiser with some subtle eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara, and if i remember, a bit of lipstick.
  • Options
    Mal80Mal80 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I know nothing about make up, but it's really obvious when people put a lot of it on when they're on TV... a combination of looking like an unusually perfect canvas that's been painted on. Not saying it's good or bad, just obvious to see.
  • Options
    Lisa.JLisa.J Posts: 1,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wear make up alot of the time to varying degrees. For work its usually tinted moisturiser and a bit of blusher. If im going out then I take a lot more time and effort, I like experimenting with different colours/looks etc

If I'm just going out to shops etc though I'm happy to go without make up, I dont think I look too bad without, I like to give my skin a day off from it as well.