Audley gets a warning over Kellie nominating reason

12346»

Comments

• dialecticdialectic Posts: 6,949
    Forum Member
    Basically that it will take time for him to get used to Frank being Kellie as he had known him for so long as Frank in the outside world.

It must be even more awkward and strange given that his first encounter with Kellie is in the Big Brother house which is an unnatural environment anyway. Audley won't know what to think.

If BB didn't want to risk offending viewers then they shouldn't have asked Audley to elaborate. They asked him, he answered them honestly.

I thought it had something to do with bath facilities or something, I didn't hear it too well.
    His awkwardness over knowing Kelli as Frank for a long time is understandable and could have comfortably been dealt with in a private conversation. I don't see it as justifiable reason for nomination. If the person Audley knew as Frank came out as gay late in life and Audley used that change as a reason to nominate him (along with reasons of him being near him in the bath), would that also be acceptable?
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think anyone would find it very difficult to adjust to somebody they've known for a very long time suddenly changing gender.
    Of course we'd all like to be perfect and all our actions be perfectly in line with some politically correct utopian world. But people aren't like that. To force somebody to behave differently would be wrong in itself.

As far as I';m concerned intent is the most important factor, and I don't believe that Audley's feelings are in any way based in malice or are in any way wrong.

I think it was the word "uncomfortable" that opened the door to seeing it has transphobic, and that's what caused BB to ask him to elaborate. His elaboration didn't sufficiently establish that it wasn't transphobic. Then when Kellie made an issue of the nomination in the DR, further intervention was pretty much inevitable.

But I have to say, having just watched it again, that BB doesn't actually use the word "warning"; and I thought Audley answered well in the DR. Generally, when BB issues a warning, it's made clear by language that uses the W-word and something like "BB has no choice but to ...". So perhaps BB was satisfied with having raised the issue and with Audley's explanation, and so didn't make it a warning.
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe Audley has done more good for Trans people than Kellie ever has so far, he's demonstrated in a perfectly reasonable way how some people can have a bit of difficulty adapting to a persons gender reassignment.

It does more good talking about it than pretending it doesn't matter or it's easy, it isn't, it's bloody difficult for some people to accept.

Let's face it, even Kellie hasn't properly accepted herself yet.
  • kenny7kenny7 Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous decision to warn him.
  • ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,551
    Forum Member
    I actually can't believe they practically forced that out of him and then preceding in warning him about it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically that it will take time for him to get used to Frank being Kellie as he had known him for so long as Frank in the outside world.

It must be even more awkward and strange given that his first encounter with Kellie is in the Big Brother house which is an unnatural environment anyway. Audley won't know what to think.

If BB didn't want to risk offending viewers then they shouldn't have asked Audley to elaborate. They asked him, he answered them honestly.

That looks like it's trying to say it would be BB's fault if anyone were offended

I don't think BB should hold back from asking a HM to elaborate out of fear of what the HM might say, and BB isn't responsible for what Audley said. If he'd said something different (and if Kellie hadn't made an issue of it) that might well have been the end of it.

I think it worked out in the end, because of how Audley explained in the DR. (The scene just shown on BOTS will help as well).

The way BB dealt with the risk of offence was to show that conversation in the DR.
  • schmoozerschmoozer Posts: 2,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say there were other nominations which were much more offensive/distressing to watch/hear. But not having seen the bathroom situation that Audley was referring to, I am not clear as to whether he meant he would have got in the bath with one of the men in similar circumstances, the other women in similar circumstances - or for that matter I suppose with Frank in his previous life.

ie is the bath too intimate an place to be with another man, a woman or - as is the suggestion - only with a transgender person. I can think of lots of people I would not want to be in the bath with for a wide variety of reasons !!!

But I suppose overall I feel that Audley was naïve to be so honest, it was not a great moment to say that he feels uncomfortable - infront of all housemates and viewers.. So much easier to make up a load of nonsense like Claire did.. I guess it is natural for Kellie to feel hurt.
  • zolugzolug Posts: 2,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **JennaJ** wrote: »
    Warned for having a open, honest and frank reason?.......Well done Big Brother!.....:p

It is ridiculous for Audley to get a warning for an honest reason and Dee gets away with her inane reason for nomming George.Well done BB ( not ).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zolug wrote: »
    It is ridiculous for Audley to get a warning for an honest reason and Dee gets away with her inane reason for nomming George.Well done BB ( not ).

It's not clear that he did get a warning.
  • kalikikikankalikikikan Posts: 393
    Forum Member
    I very rarely post, but I am absolutely disgusted that Audley was given a warning for expressing a valid emotion and opinion.

He did not use offensive language and maybe could be accused of being clumsy in his attempts to lighten the mood of the nomination by saying that he wanted Kellie to get out there and arrange a fight.

I think I recall in the first few days that Kellie apologised to Audley for things that occurred in Audley's career by herself, when she was Frank and others in the boxing fraternity, I cannot fully remember the conversation, but I believe Kellie cited that Audley posed a threat within the sport as he broke the mould or something to that effect.

We do not know this history but I actually respect Audley for acknowledging his feelings and actually stating them. He may have in hindsight been better to have expressed them on a one to one basis but somehow I think the outcome would have been similar, in that Kellie would still have been offended.

I believe BB really have gone overboard with their PC warning.
  • Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bored of Kellie. It's been done to death now. Show us something which doesn't involve the sex change.