Options

The high speed railway

tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
Forum Member
✭✭
I still find this a puzzle why this was done.
You got a big loan with big interest payments due on it. And you go and spend it on a whole new kitchen. The old one was perfectly functional, why not get rid of the loan?

Was it done to get a lot of people into work?
Was it done with the prospect that the North and London could gain better financial networks?
It's just odd- surely the interest payments should come first.

Educate the ignorant, why did they do it?

Comments

• Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    I still find this a puzzle why this was done.
    You got a big loan with big interest payments due on it. And you go and spend it on a whole new kitchen. The old one was perfectly functional, why not get rid of the loan?

Was it done to get a lot of people into work?
    Was it done with the prospect that the North and London could gain better financial networks?
    It's just odd- surely the interest payments should come first.

Educate the ignorant, why did they do it?

Because "the old one" may not be functional for much longer. Lines are running out of capacity.
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 ) Overcrowding

2 ) Low speeds (125mph) compared to other countries (140mph - 174mph)

3 ) Inability to fit more trains on network at any one time (trains running at approx 1 every 4 mins in rush hour)

4 ) Gradual increase in price of petrol meaning cars becoming uneconomical

5 ) Newer, faster, more reliable trains mean train travel is becoming more popular than ever

6 ) WIFI + plug sockets = mobile office
  • Options
    tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok I understand, but I think we disagree on necessity!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10849333/Interest-bill-on-UKs-1.27-trillion-debt-to-hit-1bn-a-week.html
    I mean yeah a government has to keep to the needs of it's country first and foremost.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Ok I understand, but I think we disagree on necessity!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/economics/10849333/Interest-bill-on-UKs-1.27-trillion-debt-to-hit-1bn-a-week.html
    I mean yeah a government has to keep to the needs of it's country first and foremost.

And we need a decent railway system!