Squeeze night - BBC4 - 12/10/12 - 2100 onwards

2»

Comments

• Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misty08 wrote: »
    Squeeze were and are great. So many fantastic songs with real words and tunes. Glenn nedds to lose the facial hair, though.

Yes he did look a bit :eek: !

Watching him play guitar I noticed he has quite chubby fingers too. As a player myself, I'd find it hard to play like that.
  • Options
    keicarkeicar Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Squeeze were and are great. So many fantastic songs with real words and tunes. Glenn nedds to lose the facial hair, though.

Glenn had lost the facial fuzz for his appearance on BBC Breakfast on Friday.

The biggest scandal is that their best songs Tempted and Pulling Muscles both stalled at no. 41, and yet still get airplay today.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keicar wrote: »
    Glenn had lost the facial fuzz for his appearance on BBC Breakfast on Friday.

The biggest scandal is that their best songs Tempted and Pulling Muscles both stalled at no. 41, and yet still get airplay today.
    Yes, I saw that interview afterwards.
    Alot of great songs, that became classics - not just by Squeeze- were not huge hits.
  • Options
    mevilhoneymevilhoney Posts: 685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    not that odd,Paul did have 2 spells as a keyboard player for Squeeze.Just glad the doc was on Paul Carrack and not Jools Holland:eek:

Yeah,Jools Holland...I`ve never understood his success.:(
  • Options
    Miss PoppyMiss Poppy Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got this taped and am looking forward to it.
  • Options
    TheSparklyOneTheSparklyOne Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    I wonder if this is on iPlayer? I'm young but still enjoy Squeeze thanks to my mum playing a best of CD a lot in the car.
  • Options
    loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is (or was) on iplayer - I'm not a lover of documentaries, nor remember being particularly fond of Squeeze but I wanted something on in the background whilst I did some work. Put this on and didn't get a thing done. Really enjoyed it, recognise far more of their stuff than I thought (I think the narrator made that point) and 'East side story' is going on my Xmas list.

Glenn's still got an amazing voice too.
  • Options
    Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    loracan wrote: »
    It is (or was) on iplayer - I'm not a lover of documentaries, nor remember being particularly fond of Squeeze but I wanted something on in the background whilst I did some work. Put this on and didn't get a thing done. Really enjoyed it, recognise far more of their stuff than I thought (I think the narrator made that point) and 'East side story' is going on my Xmas list.

Glenn's still got an amazing voice too.
    East Side Story is a great album - I have it on cassette!:D
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    I saw Squeeze, probably May 78 when they were the warm up act to Radio Stars and Eddie and the Hot Rods. They came on first and there were probably only about 100 in the hall. They were a rough punk band but you could see the potential in what they did.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    East Side Story is a great album - I have it on cassette!:D

Someone Elses Heart should have been a single
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Squeeze. How amazing does Glenn's voice still sound.

Nail in my Heart and Take Me I'm Yours are my faves. :)
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if this is on iPlayer? I'm young but still enjoy Squeeze thanks to my mum playing a best of CD a lot in the car.

It's still on iplayer - it'll only be there for a few more days though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01n8kmq/Squeeze_Take_Me_Im_Yours/

I'm not young ;) but was young at the height of their fame so only became aware of them later on but I love many of their tracks too. I think 'Take me I'm Yours' has to be my favourite. I found the documentary interesting, I didn't know much about their history and how they formed and so I'm glad I tuned into the documentary to find out.

It seems Glenn and Chris often had a rather tense relationship but managed to overcome it to produce some great music:)
  • Options
    culttvfanculttvfan Posts: 2,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They played at my school's Christmas disco in 75 before they were well known. Remember them doing Stairway To Heaven.
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw Squeeze, probably May 78 when they were the warm up act to Radio Stars and Eddie and the Hot Rods. They came on first and there were probably only about 100 in the hall. They were a rough punk band but you could see the potential in what they did.

I saw them on that tour, too! In Bradford ... Although I'm sure there were more than 100 people there when they came on as 'Take Me I'm Yours' had charted by then and was doing better than both 'Nervous Wreck' and 'Quit This town' had done for the acts above them on the bill ...

That documentary was great and refreshingly frank about the tension between Glenn and Chris - a far cry from the shallow Jeff Lynne/ELO piece of fluff a week or so before, which skirted over all the interesting aspects of that group's career.

Good to see so many Squeeze fans on here. They are indeed criminally underrated and as quintessentially British as the Kinks or Blur. As for the Keane comparisons ... hardly! :eek::rolleyes: Keane can't make up their minds whether they want to be U2 or Simple Minds ... and they have none of the heart, wit or warmth that peppered Squeeze's compositions.

Glad to hear Glenn's lost his facial fur, too! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Del Amitri reminded me of Squeeze albeit a more melancholic scottish version
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    Good to see so many Squeeze fans on here. They are indeed criminally underrated and as quintessentially British as the Kinks or Blur. As for the Keane comparisons ... hardly! :eek::rolleyes: Keane can't make up their minds whether they want to be U2 or Simple Minds ... and they have none of the heart, wit or warmth that peppered Squeeze's compositions.

Glad to hear Glenn's lost his facial fur, too! ;)

Wash that person's mouth out with soap! :eek::eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wonder if any Squeeze fans not into footie thought 'Diamond Lights' was by Difford And Tilbrook rather thsn Glenn Hoddle and Chris Waddle?
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    essexpete wrote: »
    Del Amitri reminded me of Squeeze albeit a more melancholic scottish version
    Wash your mouth out!!!Del Amitri were MURDER!!!
  • Options
    maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davie1924 wrote: »
    Wash your mouth out!!!Del Amitri were MURDER!!!

Without going into off topic territory I will rephrase my answer by saying two bands whom I've always found comparable to Squeeze in terms of use of Beatles/Kinkseque melody + great lyrics whom sprung out of the post/punk new wave era and lasted 20+ years and were by and large commercially underrated by the public and loved more by the critics whom BBC4 could do far worse than do a Friday night featuring a career Rockumentary on are Swindon's XTC (Andy Partridge/Colin Moulding) & New Zealand's Finn Brothers (Tim & Neil) Split Enz/Crowded House and other offshoot projects.
  • Options
    davie1924davie1924 Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I defo get the XTC comparison, a very under-rated band.
  • Options
    I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without going into off topic territory I will rephrase my answer by saying two bands whom I've always found comparable to Squeeze in terms of use of Beatles/Kinkseque melody + great lyrics whom sprung out of the post/punk new wave era and lasted 20+ years and were by and large commercially underrated by the public and loved more by the critics whom BBC4 could do far worse than do a Friday night featuring a career Rockumentary on are Swindon's XTC (Andy Partridge/Colin Moulding) & New Zealand's Finn Brothers (Tim & Neil) Split Enz/Crowded House and other offshoot projects.

What's this - world's longest sentence competition or something? But yeah, XTC or the Finn Brothers would make for a good BBC4 theme night.
  • Options
    ToastrackToastrack Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Just got round to viewing a recording of this - excellent programme.

That run of singles from 78-82 was superb, and the story behind "Some Fantastic Place" was very moving.

Saw them live a couple of years ago, they played a cracking set.
  • Options
    morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The documentary was worth my licence fee alone. Brilliant programme, fantastic story. Right time and right place, magic happened.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I saw a documentary in Squeeze on BBC4 the other night. I'm assuming it was the one mentioned in this thread