Agatha Christie/Miss Marple

Comments

• Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh i think we've all forgotten the scariest moment of the series. Dr Kennedy in Sleeping Murder, approaching 'Gwennie' in the darkened hall *shivers* I was 9 when I first saw that and I could not sleep that night :o

Dr Kennedy was also creepy, because it is implied that he had carnal designs on his sister!
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh i think we've all forgotten the scariest moment of the series.
    Dr Kennedy in Sleeping Murder, approaching 'Gwennie' in the darkened hall *shivers* I was 9 when I first saw that and I could not sleep that night :o

Dr Kennedy was also creepy, because it is implied that he had carnal designs on his sister
    !

That is on my list, earlier on in the thread ... the "Monkey Paws" moment, with the shadows on the stairs ... fantastic! Spooked me when I was a nipper, still makes me shudder now. Mrs Chuff and I often joke about "Monkey Fingers". :D
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I see Jessica Raine from Call the Midwife has been cast as Tuppence in N or M. Ridiculous mis-casting. Tuppence was meant to be in her 40s in that book, with two grown up children.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My biggest concern is the presence of David Walliams ...

I recently saw the 80s T&T series (James Warwick and Francesca Annis), and it's dreadful. Very stagey and hammy. The new version can't be any worse (actually it probably can: they can fill it full of lesbians and change the murderer to every story, like the ITV Marples).

This can only be a step up from the drunken Tuppence, played by Greta Scacchi in some of the ITV abominations.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching 'Hallowe'en Party' with Poirot 2010, and the old woman Mrs Goodbody looked familiar and it was bugging me as to where I'd seen her before.

It came eventually...she was Miss Hinchcliffe in 'A Murder Is Announce' from 1985 :o

Actress Paola Dionisotti.
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    As much as I loved Miss Marple - I loved Hercule too!

Miss Marple had St Mary Meade, Milchester as her village address. Comfy!
    Poirot had Miss lemon and Mr Hastings - I loved those as his companions!
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    Actually, having said that, Miss Marple (Mrs Rutherford) had Mr Swinger and that Inspector throughout her four films!:):)
  • CAFCAF Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    I am a huge fan of Agatha Christie, too...

When I was young I loved the Margaret Rutherford movies, but when i read the books I had to recognise that these movies were more comedies than Agatha Christie movies.

The Joan Hickson series is the "state-of-art" for Miss Marple - I do love the fact that the productions payed a lot of attention toward the details in everything and at the same time it is a wonderful adaptation of the crime stories.

The David Suchet series is wonderful, too - the first seasons were better than the later ones (although the later ones are great too) - its the "state of art" for Hercule Poirot.

The Geraldine McEwan/Julia McKenzie series is something special - wonderful detailed adaptation and a the same time sometimes very entertaining due the variations of the original stories.

Furthermore I like the 80s TV-versions of "Why Didn't They Asked Evans", "The Seven Dials Mystery" and "Witness Of Prosecution"- we shouldn't forget the "Partners in Crime" series...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CAF wrote: »

Furthermore I like the 80s TV-versions of "Why Didn't They Asked Evans", "The Seven Dials Mystery" and "Witness Of Prosecution"- we shouldn't forget the "Partners in Crime" series...

Evans/Dials/Partners are available as a DVD boxset, and I watched them earlier this year. A bit dated and stagey adaptations, and some of Agatha's early stories aren't great, but this is well worth a watch. A lot of her earlier stories, including the Tommy & Tuppence stuff, is about "young adventurers" having "jolly japes" with gangs of ruffians. Not great, in comparison with some of her later stuff.

The 80s TV Witness for the Prosecution: I have vague memories of it, and I recall that
    it is totally obvious that Diana Rigg is "in disguise" as someone else, at one point. Not a great performance from Dame Di.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I remember watching 'Hallowe'en Party' with Poirot 2010, and the old woman Mrs Goodbody looked familiar and it was bugging me as to where I'd seen her before.

It came eventually...she was Miss Hinchcliffe in 'A Murder Is Announce' from 1985 :o

Actress Paola Dionisotti.

That was a terrible adaptation. They introduced all kinds of new twists and turns (including a lesbian relationship which had never featured or been hinted at in the book) and the actress playing Miranda was unbelievably mis-cast.
    Forum Member
    Did somebody heard if the BBC has started to plan new Miss Marple movies?

I read somewhere that ITV isn't ajbleto continue with the McKenzies series, due BBC was able to get all film rights...
  • MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 4 favourite Joan Hickson versions are:-

A Murder is Announced
    Sleeping Murder
    At Bertrams Hotel
    Nemesis

I will watch them every time they're on TV.

The rest I can take or leave, but I've always hated 'A Caribbean Mystery'.
    I hated the book so that has obviously tainted me against all of the TV adaptations as well.

Stupid question time.

Nemesis begins with the death of Jason Rafiel, but ACM featured him but it wasn't released until much later, but ACM was written before Nemesis.
    Does anyone know why the series was made/filmed in the wrong order?
    Hope that makes sense.
  • Trudi MonkTrudi Monk Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread has made me revisit my Miss Marple boxed set. Started with A Murder is Announced and then The Body in the Library, sheer bliss.
    My favourite is At Bertram's Hotel, all those cups of tea!
    Forum Member
    MrMarple wrote: »

A Murder is Announced
    Sleeping Murder
    At Bertrams Hotel
    Nemesis

My 4 favourite Joan Hickson versions are:

The Body in the Library
    A Murder is Announced
    Nemesis
    4.50 from Paddington
  • MeridaMerida Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a huge fan of Marple and Poirot, I love catching up with them on days off, if I haven't watched them in ages and can't remember "whodunnit", it's a great feeling lol.

In the Julia McKenzie era I feel like I've missed out on series 5 (Pale Horse: which I know I have seen, Secret of Chimneys, Blue Geranium and Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side)... does anyone else try to remember if they have seen them by visualising the well known actors in it? :p Obviously it's not on itv player anymore, is there any other way I would be likely to catch up with these episodes or is my only option to buy the box set?
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I think I'll start watching a few Joan Hickson Marple episodes as people say they're the best ones.
    I just finished Christie's book 'And then there were None', I thought that would make a fantastic film/episode but can't seem to find one which keeps true to the original plot. There's one with a hollywood ending of 2 of the main characters getting together :S when i'd much rather see the original dark ending instead.
    Does anyone here know of a decent film adaption of it?
  • Alleycat666Alleycat666 Posts: 8,728
    Forum Member
    Another Joan Hickson fan here.

Favourite is A Muder is Announced, there's just something about it that makes it stand out for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »

A Murder is Announced
    Sleeping Murder
    At Bertrams Hotel
    Nemesis

I will watch them every time they're on TV.

The rest I can take or leave, but I've always hated 'A Caribbean Mystery'.
    I hated the book so that has obviously tainted me against all of the TV adaptations as well.

Stupid question time.

Nemesis begins with the death of Jason Rafiel, but ACM featured him but it wasn't released until much later, but ACM was written before Nemesis.
    Does anyone know why the series was made/filmed in the wrong order?
    Hope that makes sense.

I love the BBC Caribbean Mystery. The relationship between those four butterfly collectors is very neatly done. The music in the story is beautiful, the addition of some voodoo stuff is very welcome, and Miss Marple's relationship with Victoria's aunt is charming.

I think they did a series of Miss Marple stories that were shown on consecutive Sunday evenings. Nemesis and Bertrams were amongst these: they are two parters that were shown as part of "regular telly". I suppose they wanted to do the "minor" stories in this way, and save the big, "event" stories (Paddington, Caribbean, the ones that had recently been done with Helen Hayes and Angela Lansbury) for Christmas specials.

Donald Sutherland is PERFECT as Jason Rafiel. Describing Miss Marple as a "saucy old mare" is one of the finest things ever committed to television, and Mrs Chuff and I use the phrase frequently.

Trudi Monk wrote: »
    This thread has made me revisit my Miss Marple boxed set. Started with A Murder is Announced and then The Body in the Library, sheer bliss.
    My favourite is At Bertram's Hotel, all those cups of tea!

The sequence with Miss Marple and Lady Selina taking tea is just bliss! Lady Bess and her doughnut. Lady Selina warbling on about seed cake and muffins. Glorious. "That's old Jane Marple! She looks a hundred!".

bbclassics wrote: »
    I think I'll start watching a few Joan Hickson Marple episodes as people say they're the best ones.
    I just finished Christie's book 'And then there were None', I thought that would make a fantastic film/episode but can't seem to find one which keeps true to the original plot. There's one with a hollywood ending of 2 of the main characters getting together :S when i'd much rather see the original dark ending instead.
    Does anyone here know of a decent film adaption of it?

There are several versions of And Then. 1940s B&W one I can't really remember but it's meant to be the best. 1960s one with Shirley Eaton changes the ending and has a pause just before the revelation to give the audience chance to discuss it!!! 1970s one with Richard Attenborough I have up on within the first half hour. There are various other versions, and the BBC are doing it again next year.

I think And Then is touring on stage at the moment. I saw it on tour two or three years ago, and it was a fantastic production. Absolutely spot-on to the book. And what a book! Agatha's best, I think.
  • Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is on my list, earlier on in the thread ... the "Monkey Paws" moment, with the shadows on the stairs ... fantastic! Spooked me when I was a nipper, still makes me shudder now. Mrs Chuff and I often joke about "Monkey Fingers". :D

Yes it was very creepy. But Miss Marple saved the day by jumping out and spraying him in the face with weed killer. Go Jane !!!
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joan Hickson is Miss Marple, nobody else has come close.
    Nothing more to add
    Joan Hickson = Miss Marple
    David Suchet = Hercule Poirot
    Jeremy Brett = Sherlock Holmes

end of.
    Yes
    mikesuffs wrote: »

One mention about Poirot - Peter Ustinov played him twice in two decent movies and in a number of poor made-for-TV adaptations. The first of the movies was the excellent 'Death On The Nile' which had a stellar cast, including Angela Lansbury who would later play Miss Marple herself in a version of 'The Mirror Crack'd'.
    A great actor but he just didn't look right for the part

The Geraldine McEwan/Julia McKenzie series is something special - wonderful detailed adaptation and a the same time sometimes very entertaining due the variations of the original stories.
    Not as good as Joan Hickson but I see nothing wrong in making them different.
    Forum Member
    Evans/Dials/Partners are available as a DVD boxset, and I watched them earlier this year. A bit dated and stagey adaptations, and some of Agatha's early stories aren't great, but this is well worth a watch. A lot of her earlier stories, including the Tommy & Tuppence stuff, is about "young adventurers" having "jolly japes" with gangs of ruffians. Not great, in comparison with some of her later stuff.

The 80s TV Witness for the Prosecution: I have vague memories of it, and I recall that
    it is totally obvious that Diana Rigg is "in disguise" as someone else, at one point. Not a great performance from Dame Di.

Yeah, the 80s adaptations are a little bit dated today, but that is their charm again, too...

Cheryl Campbell as 'Bundle' in Dials and Francesca Annis as 'Lady Frances' in Evans were great in their roles!

I think Dame Di was good - I didn't like Beau Bridges in his role in Witness...
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

Not as good as Joan Hickson but I see nothing wrong in making them different.

I agree Joan Hicksons version was perfect!!
    Forum Member
    my favourite David Suchet's Poirot movies:

The Third Floor Flat
    The Dream
    The Adventure of the Cheap Flat
    The Mysterious Affair at Styles
    How Does Your Garden Grow?
    The A.B.C. Murders
    One, Two, Buckle My Shoe
    Death on the Nile
    Evil Under the Sun
    Appointment with Death
    Murder on the Orient Express
  • Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In case anyone here doesn't know, the Joan Hickson adaptations were filmed in Nether Wallop, Hampshire. You can see "her" cottage and the real village shop next door. There is a stone pyramid shaped tomb in Nether Wallop churchyard which you can glimpse in some church scenes. I was pleased to recognise St Peter Street, Winchester, in one episode, where Miss M is visiting a solicitor. And then Winchester's Theatre Royal appeared, externally and the interior, for a ballet scene. I really love these Joan Hickson adaptations! I grew up to close to Torquay and also have a friend who is related to Agatha and had tea with her once. I've enjoyed the display at Torquay Museum and seen where Agatha's childhood home was. I've seen Greenaway from the river but would like to be able to visit it. When visiting a Wren church in London, I found an archaeological item displayed that had been donated by Agatha. I think Come Tell Me How You Live is a fantastically interesting book. I wish I'd been able to meet Agatha - she was a great character.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    I agree Joan Hicksons version was perfect!!

Joan Hickson is Miss Marple and always will be.

She was born to play that role and, my word, didn't she play it to perfection.