Options

Creative ZEN / ZEN Cast

Dolphin DriverDolphin Driver Posts: 659
Forum Member
✭✭
I seem to be having a problem with the Zen Cast programme, whenever I try to download one of the podcasts (I have downloaded others previously), it doesn't let me.

The picture below shows what I mean because I probably didn't explain it well.
vylafp.jpg

Any help appreciated. :)

Comments

• Options
    joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that means the podcast is no longer available - I think it is date 14th April and the BBC only keep them online for 7 days or so. Try downloading a more recent one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh ok, thanks.
    I'll try that later when I get home, it does seem logical :)
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,497
    Forum Member
    Just downloaded ZenCast after seeing this thread. Looks a nice bit of software and it would mean that I could jettison iTunes for good (I only use it to download podcasts)

But for some reason I can't get it to transfer the files to my Zen, it just comes up with a general transfer error. There's plenty of room on the player and the podcasts aren't already on it. A bit stuck, anyone help?
  • Options
    joshua321joshua321 Posts: 2,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't say which model of player your have. Only certain players with the latest firmware upgrades support transfer within Zencast - read them here (scroll down):

http://www.zencast.com/downloads/

However if you have a different player, such as a zen stone or zen nano plus, you can locate the directory where the podcasts are downloaded (tools > settings > general), and then transfer the podcasts manually using windows explorer, Creative MediaSource or WMP.

Also make sure that if your player does not support video, you have NOT ticked the box to convert audio items to videos.

For some reason having the latest version of quicktime on your PC also causes Zencast to misbehave, but this usually involves not being able to open the application at all. I have jettisoned quicktime in favour of realplayer for this reason.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, It did work. I must remember to open it up more often to download the podcasts. :)
  • Options
    Toxteth O'GradyToxteth O'Grady Posts: 8,497
    Forum Member
    joshua321 wrote: »
    You don't say which model of player your have. Only certain players with the latest firmware upgrades support transfer within Zencast - read them here (scroll down):

http://www.zencast.com/downloads/

However if you have a different player, such as a zen stone or zen nano plus, you can locate the directory where the podcasts are downloaded (tools > settings > general), and then transfer the podcasts manually using windows explorer, Creative MediaSource or WMP.

Also make sure that if your player does not support video, you have NOT ticked the box to convert audio items to videos.

For some reason having the latest version of quicktime on your PC also causes Zencast to misbehave, but this usually involves not being able to open the application at all. I have jettisoned quicktime in favour of realplayer for this reason.

I've a Microphoto so it is compatible. The source folder is the 'Zencast' one it sets up and I've not got the video conversion ticked. I notice that you need Firefox 1.5 or above, my default browser is Firefox 1, but I wouldn't have thought that would matter

Will have to transfer manually I think, which is what I do with podcasts downloaded from iTunes anyway