Madonna - Rebel Heart

Comments

• Living4LoveLiving4Love Posts: 1,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Hard Candy has dated really badly. That's the problem with R&B its constantly progressing as a genre so changes all the time. That Timbaland sound was pretty much a sound of the mid 00s and that's it. Just like DarkChild's signature hook pretty much was the late 90s/early 00s. Even The First Album sounds more current than Hard Candy.

Madonna mentioned on Ellen she wanted Rebel Heart to be a two sided album. That would have been ideal and captured the feel of the album perfectly. It strikes me as odd they didn't allow her to do that. I can see Madonna walking away from Interscope once her deal with them is over. She might just end up releasing all her stuff via Boy Toy from now on.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Madonna mentioned on Ellen she wanted Rebel Heart to be a two sided album. That would have been ideal and captured the feel of the album perfectly. It strikes me as odd they didn't allow her to do that. I can see Madonna walking away from Interscope once her deal with them is over. She might just end up releasing all her stuff via Boy Toy from now on.

I like the album the way it is. I would not have liked all of the Rebel and the Heart song to be together on one side. I like how mixed up the album is. To me to have all slow serious songs in a row and then all fun sexy songs in a row would be dull. The record company was right on this point. Listening to it is like a playlist of different genres which is how I listen to music anyway. The record is like life in that one minute you are sad, the next you are laughing and having fun. Record companies get a bad rap sometimes. Sometimes they are right about stuff and the artist isn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    I like the album the way it is. I would not have liked all of the Rebel and the Heart song to be together on one side. I like how mixed up the album is. To me to have all slow serious songs in a row and then all fun sexy songs in a row would be dull. The record company was right on this point. Listening to it is like a playlist of different genres which is how I listen to music anyway. The record is like life in that one minute you are sad, the next you are laughing and having fun. Record companies get a bad rap sometimes. Sometimes they are right about stuff and the artist isn't.

I disagree totally. Madonna created the album with that concept in mind, that was her vision as its creater and the only reason they probably didn't do a double disc is for cost issues. It wouldn't have been because they didn't want it.
  • PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah Hard Candy has dated really badly. That's the problem with R&B its constantly progressing as a genre so changes all the time. That Timbaland sound was pretty much a sound of the mid 00s and that's it. Just like DarkChild's signature hook pretty much was the late 90s/early 00s. Even The First Album sounds more current than Hard Candy.

Hard Candy is very similar to MDNA in that there are some great songs totally overwhelmed by the filler. Devil Wouldn't recognise you is awesome and should totally been the 2nd single. Same as Love Spent. But then you wonder why she put something like Incredible on there...just awful.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love the Ghosttown performance at the iHearts Awards with Taylor Swift playing the guitar. A few bump notes in the verse but once again so full of emotion and hopefully will give the song a bit of a chart boost.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree. Madonna is killing it this era :D Taylor is the biggest popstar in the world right now and she was humble enough to just play guitar for Madonna!
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Never thought I would say it but I agree with you. Initially I felt that it should have been an album of two versions, I still think this would have worked better for general buyers. But having been on holiday for the past two weeks spending a lot of time travelling in busses and planes I had the album on loop. The songs I initially did not take to Bitch I'm Madonna, illuminati etc you can work out the few others I cannot stop listening to now. If it had been two separate albums I would most probably not given them a chance but the entire album has grown on me as an entirety and must admit there is not one track I don't love. For me it's surpassed ROL as an album.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I love the 19 track album and think it's perfect as is it. I initially figured that so many tracks would result in plenty of filler and result in Madonna overload (if that's even possible!), but I genuinely don't think that's the case.

Whilst I understand the thought behind having two seperate CDs, I think the right choice was made to combine the two.

The only track I don't love is 'Body Shop', and even then I wouldn't class it as filler. It's just not a sound i'm fussed on.
  • FanntastikFanntastik Posts: 12,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently there are strong rumours going around that Madonna will be headlining Glastonburry? I hope it's true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »
    Apparently there are strong rumours going around that Madonna will be headlining Glastonburry? I hope it's true.

I'm not building my hopes up but I hope its true.
  • PetroliciousPetrolicious Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fanntastik wrote: »

Where are you hearing this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many copies has Madonna's Rebel Heart sold so far in France ?

https://francemusiccharts.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/week-ending-29th-march-2015-albums-chart/
    Forum Member
    garychart wrote: »

https://francemusiccharts.wordpress.com/2015/03/31/week-ending-29th-march-2015-albums-chart/

31,905. It says so in that link you just posted :confused:
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    garychart wrote: »

How about focusing on other artists who have sold even less rather than just Madonna. Everyone knows that RH is underperforming sales wise, but do you know what? So are many other records
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madge interview coming up on Jo Whiley show on R2 now if anyone's interested.
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone listened to that God awful remix of Ghosttown that's on the DS main page? Jeez!
    Forum Member
    babelogue wrote: »
    Anyone listened to that God awful remix of Ghosttown that's on the DS main page? Jeez!

It's terrible isn't it! Madonna used to have some amazing remixes for her singles, that's one of the reasons I wasn't too bothered that her singles usually just contained remixes. But since Confessions - apart from the odd few - they have all been pretty naff.

I miss the olden days when some of her remixes practically turned her tracks into new songs (the William Orbit mix of Erotica for example is better than the original IMO!) :D
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    IMO Madonna's time is up now hasn't produced anything decent in years
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    It's terrible isn't it! Madonna used to have some amazing remixes for her singles, that's one of the reasons I wasn't too bothered that her singles usually just contained remixes. But since Confessions - apart from the odd few - they have all been pretty naff.

I miss the olden days when some of her remixes practically turned her tracks into new songs (the William Orbit mix of Erotica for example is better than the original IMO!) :D

I've never been a remix person. They bore me. I really don't go to clubs so I don't get them. I always prefer the original versions. And especially with ballads, I think it's hard to do a remix. I can kind of see the point of remixing an uptempo song to make it something dj's can play in a club, but why remix a ballad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have you hear the new album because it has a lot of variety on it? I really can't imagine someone not enjoying at least some of the songs. Or are you just saying that because that's what the media tells you to think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you hear the new album because it has a lot of variety on it? I really can't imagine someone not enjoying at least some of the songs. Or are you just saying that because that's what the media tells you to think?

Well the media all seem to be in agreement that its her best work in a decade.

Which I agree with. I'm still not bored of it.

Ghosttown video will debut next week!
  • babeloguebabelogue Posts: 1,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    glyn9799 wrote: »

Take a Bow had some excellent remixes on the CD single.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,171
    Forum Member

Danny, from her last 3 albums what are your top 3 songs?
    And prior to this what are your top 3 madonna songs?
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think you are exaggerating somewhat. Madonna is perfectly capable of producing top-notch songs, and Rebel Heart has around ten of them. But, she has for some reason, decided to take a path where others do the work for her rather than be in total control herself. When you play albums like Like a Prayer and even Confessions where she was virtually in the driving seat, and then play Rebel Heart straight after, you notice immediately the difference in production. I've said many times before, Madonna works better when she is allowed to be Madonna. That element seems to be missing at the moment.

I believe the reason that RH no longer "wows" me is because the songs in their majority, do not feel or sound like properly, clever crafted songs, the sort that Madonna is renowned for. Listen to "Frozen" or even "Nothing Fails" and then listen to "Hold Tight" or HeartBreakCity and you will notice what I mean. HeartBreakCity suffers greatly from being just 3'33" when in demo form it is well over 4 minutes long and actually sounds more epic because of it.

It isn't that Madonna hasn't produced anything decent, it's more that she no longer needs to nor desires to. She is far more misguided and deluded these days as to what she thinks her fans want her to do than she ever was before. I blame social media for that. Her instagram messages are often embarrassing.

Take a look at the album's credits to see what I mean about how little input she has had on the album, and it is telling that the strongest songs on the album are the ones where she is primarily responsible for, which are very few.

http://drownedmadonna.com/madonnas-rebel-heart-credits-by-tidal/20150402

It has nothing to do with chart positions, a good Madonna album is a good Madonna album regardless. But we mustn't pretend that Madonna is such a genius and she is responsible for what happens on her records. She used to be, big time, but not now. Perhaps other lifelong fans have noticed to which is why people are less interested in her new stuff than they once more. When she is working with just a handful of people (as she was right up to Confessions), she produced masterpieces. It can not be a coincidence that her her success has wavered since then when others have basically taken the reins.
  • jadebutterfly96jadebutterfly96 Posts: 1,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The teaser of Ghosttown video which will be premiered on Tidal looks interesting...and dark.